This is my dads computer, and he refuses to let go of XP, so I am trying to help him. I am going to get him windows 10 in the near future, but until then...
Booting the computer leads to a blank window XP screen, no task bars and no icons, just a green meadow...
- The first time, I tried to use ALT/CTRL/DEL to run a new task explorer.exe (after ending the task of the other explorer.exe) and this did nothing. It did not return the icons
- I tried to boot to safe mode and a RESTORE point, but it keeps freezing or crashing when I try- have tried several times now
- After many reboot`s, now ALT/CTRL/DEL does not even work on the desktop blank canvas.
- Last working configuration does not work when booting - still blank canvas, no icons
- SAFE MODE works and all the icons are available (slow as can be though)
As it stands, I can only get to SAFE mode, and even there it is touch and go.
Where should I go from here? Any ideas or steps I could take to try and fix this thing? I think I have an XP cd somewhere but probably scratched to heck.
Edited by netrate, 17 August 2016 - 03:19 PM.