Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can only get on internet by reinstalling a brower as admistrator

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 aA9

aA9

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 03:13 PM

While I was trying to resolve issues with windows updater, I tried different online tips and seemed to have messed up my user permission settings. I did a system restore and I am still having some problems. The only way I can go on the internet is to install a browser such as seamonkey by "run as administrator". As long as I don't close the browser, I can browse the internet normally but as soon as I close the browser, I can't get the browser to open again. I get a message that says a seamonkey is already running. I then have to reinstall the seamonkey browser again. I can' t just do it as the master account I have to click on "run as administrator". Internet explorer does not load either.

My system restore took more than 2 and half hours. Other settings are still messed up but at this point I just want to use the internet until I can either take this to a repair shop or buy a new computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 04:03 PM

I never had a System Restore take that long to complete. It's not necessary to reinstall seamonkey if you get a warning saying it's still running. You can bring up Task Manager with Ctrl +  Alt + Del and under the processes tab kill the seamonkey process. Then try opening seamonkey again.

Sometimes in cases like this it's best to cut your loses and do a factory reset after backing up all your personal data if the recovery partition is still intact. All your programs installed after purchased or programs you purchased licenses for would need to be reinstalled. Is this something you would consider doing? 

What is the make and model of the computer?

#3 aA9

aA9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:26 PM

I have had my computer for more than 4 years.

windows edition

windows 7 home premium

service pack 1

TOSHIBA

Satellite C655

Intel®Pentium ® CPU B960@

2.2Ghz 2.20 Ghz

4.00 Gb

64-bit operating system

CPUID HWMonitor says that my battery has a 36% wear level so I guess it will need a new battery soon. I didn't make any recovery disks so I would have to buy them from TOSHIBA. I don't know if it would be worth fixing.

When I click on the windows task manager to end the seamonkey process it will end the process but when I click on the link for seamonkey it says "your seamonkey profile cannot be loaded it may be missing or inaccessible". Then i go and open the seamonkey install file as the administrator.

My computer was working fine until about 2 months ago, when I had trouble with my wireless mouse. My mouse was freezing up. First I thought it was the mouse battery so I changed the battery then I heard about how hackers can use wireless mice to get in a computer so I started using a wired mouse. I soon noticed that I had no windows updates in more than a month. Windows update seemed to be using about 90% cpu so i thought maybe my computer was trying to upgrade to windows 10 so I decided to give windows 10 a chance. I somehow got some updates and was able to upgrade to windows 10 but my laptop battery didn't seem to work as well with windows 10 so I chose the option to come back to windows 7.

I stayed in windows 10 for about 20 days then I came back to windows 7 on August 11. I then tried to get windows update to start working again but it seemed to be using about 90% cpu. So I now have windows update turned off.

I guess I should have stayed with windows 10.

Yesterday, I  clicked into the c drive then I right clicked on the user folder, then I clicked on properties, then I clicked on the security tab, then I clicked on advanced then I clicked on change permissions then I put a check mark in the box that said "replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object". That must have been a big no no. After that I noticed I can only get on the internet by reinstalling a browser as the administrator. What would happen if I click on "include inheritable permissions from the parent"? Anybody know if I permanently deleted something? I don't dare click anything else in that tab, what will go wrong next? So thought a system restore would go back to my old settings. I am afraid to click  anything now.

Right now in the advanced security settings for users in the column that says "inherited from" all my users say "not inherited".

I am in the process of moving files that I want to keep over to a portable hard drive.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:26 PM

Be sure to also back up any browser bookmarks and email if you use an email client. If Windows 10 did not touch the factory restore partition you can access it on a Toshiba by tapping 0 or F12 depending on your model. You should also backup your Activation Files using Advanced Token Manager. Unzip the file to your desktop. Click on Activation Backup. It will store your activation files in a subfolder. Copy the folder on the desktop to a flash drive.

You can check for a recovery partition by looking in Disk Management.

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/System-Recovery-and-Recovery/How-To-Perform-system-recovery-Windows-7/ta-p/279643

IMPORTANT: The recovery process deletes information stored on the internal storage drive. Be sure to save your work to external media before executing the recovery.

1. Make sure the computer is turned off ("Shut-down" from the Windows Start menu)
  2. Remove any peripherals such an external mouse, keyboard, monitor, USB flash drive etc.
  3. Make sure the AC Adapter is plugged in and working.
  4. On machines with the F key numbers on the top edge of the keys and in White:
    • Press and hold the 0 (zero) key and power up the laptop.
    • Release the 0 (zero) key when the recovery warning screen appears.
    On machines with the F key numbers on the bottom edge of the keys and in Gray:
    • Power up the laptop.
    • When the initial TOSHIBA screen displays, press the F12 key to enter the boot menu.
    • Use the arrow keys to select the HDD Recovery option and press the enter key to begin.
  5. The TOSHIBA recovery wizard warning screen appears stating that when the recovery is executed all data will be deleted and the original factory software image will be rewritten. If the recovery process offers a choice of Operating Systems, select the appropriate one for you.
  6. After you are sure you have everything you want from the laptop saved, click Yes.
  7. When the Toshiba Recovery Wizard opens, the default and recommended option is "Recovery of Factory Default Software".
  8. After selecting your desired recovery method, select Next.
  9. On the next screen you may have recovery method options. The default and recommended method is to Recover to Out of Box state.
  10. Select next to continue.
  11. Follow the on screen instructions as you navigate through the system recovery steps.
  12. The laptop will restart multiple times and install the needed components.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 August 2016 - 09:26 PM.

#5 aA9

aA9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:05 PM

I looked in disk management. It says I have a 1.46GB Healthy (active, recovery partition) and 13.67GB Healthy (primary partition). I didn't know they existed. I am going to do some more research on this before I attempt the factory reinstall. In the %free column, they both say 100% which seems odd to me , but I don't now anything about this. I will research to see if that's normal. It will probably be at least a week before I feel I might be sure what I am doing.

I am also researching how to use Linux from a flash drive. I think I may end up needing  Linux as a temporary operating system if something were to go wrong.

I have been making copies of files by dropping and dragging to my portable hard drive. So many settings are messed up on my computer, I don't dare try any other methods of backing up my data. I have more than 300GB of data on my computer. I think I have copied more than two thirds over to the portable drive. I have learned my lesson about these large hard drives. From now on anything that don't have to be on my computer is going on a portable drive. I guess portable drives need to be scanned for malware and viruses too, but at least I can set one aside and scan later.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:21 PM

Any critical data should be backed up to to different devices and preferably one offsite, even the cloud.

I am not sure about the 1.46GB partition. Normally on a Windows 7 disk the active partition is 100MB and is called the System Reserved Partition. If the 13.67GB partition does not have a drive letter I would have to assume this the partition with your factory reset files.

#7 aA9

aA9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:58 PM

I just got done with the Toshiba factory reset. The reset has solved my browser problem. I get mcaffee free from att and I can't get it to install. I turned on windows updates and it don't seem to be doing anything.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:38 PM

Updating is a know problem on fresh installs of Windows 7. See this post by BC member Willy22. Install IE11 first.

http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,4799.0.html

#9 aA9

aA9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:36 PM

I put slacko puppy linux on a flash drive and I booted into Linux to go on the internet. I am taking a break from trying to use the internet with windows 7. I think I am going disconnect the internet when I use windows 7. I think I got microsoft security essentials installed and working but it concerns me that I can't get windows updates. I got the internet explorer to install but the next thing I tried to install seemed to stall and go no where and it seemed to cause my computer to freeze. Before I installed microsoft security essentials I used the mcafee removal tool and I think I got all of Mcafee off.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:48 AM

You need to disable the Windows Update Service when installing the updates manually or reboot and install immediately.

If your fine with using a live Puppy CD when using the internet that is okay too, especially when using it for banking and online purchases. If you only use the computer for browsing and email with no gaming or mission critical programs that are not available in linux then consider installing a linux distro like Mint which you can dual boot with Windows 7 but you should ask questions in the linux forum before proceeding  such as which version of Mint to install. 

I can guarantee you will not be any any problem updating Mint like the ridiculous issue Windows 7 is having with updates presently. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 August 2016 - 06:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users