Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Convert xls to xlsx

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 irvineboy

irvineboy

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 02:07 PM

If you double click the file to where it allows you to edit the name and just add an "x" to the .xls, does it automatically convert?

Or do you have to open up the spreadsheet and SAVE AS and under the "save as type", select xlsx?

Edited by irvineboy, 17 August 2016 - 02:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 02:21 PM

It could work the first way, but i recommend the latter.

if you are having troubles converting, try using WPS Suite, Tis COMPLETELY Free, and made by KingSoft, i use it all the time.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 02:36 PM

It could work the first way, but i recommend the latter.

if you are having troubles converting, try using WPS Suite, Tis COMPLETELY Free, and made by KingSoft, i use it all the time.

+1 on Kingsoft's WPS suite. A very good office suite highly compatible with Office.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 09:54 AM

If you double click the file to where it allows you to edit the name and just add an "x" to the .xls, does it automatically convert?

No, changing the file extension will not convert an XLS file to an XLSX file.

If you were to try to open that file in a program that does not support XLS files, it would not open. Seeing as most programs that support XLSX files will also support XLS you likely would never encounter that situation. It is usually the opposite that is true...i.e. that not all programs that support XLS will also support XLSX (in particular much older versions of Excel).

It is the same basic concept of if I change the DOC or DOCX extension to say JPG and then try to open the file up in a pure image editor, it will not open.

The point is changing the extension of the file does not change the actual type of file...just want Windows THINKS the file type is. So, if the program does not actually support that file type, it will not open that file no matter what the file extension is.

Or do you have to open up the spreadsheet and SAVE AS and under the "save as type", select xlsx?

Yes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users