Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus Maximus Vii Ranger SLi/SSD Slot Change Question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Psychosphere

Psychosphere

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 12:54 PM

Hey

I recently bought a new PC (Specs listed below) with hopes of adding another 980ti further down the line when it starts to get a little outdated. But I noticed the company I bought the PC from added the SSD to the other PCIe 3.0 x16 Slot where I would have put the 2nd 980ti. My question is can I move the SSD down to the PCIe 2.0 x4 slot without any significant problems like not recognizing the OS, losing data etc? Does it even work in that slot? Sorry if this is a dumb question, not that knowledgeable with PC's yet.

CPU: 4GHz Intel Core i7-6700K overclocked to 4.7GHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Ranger
Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB
Storage: Intel 750 Series 400GB SSD; 2TB Seagate hard disk
Cooling CPU: Corsair Hydro H110i GTX with 2 x 140mm fans 
PSU: Cooler Master v850

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:52 PM

I don't recommend GTX 980 Ti unless you get it cheaply.

It seems SSD should go into black slot with not much performance penalty. May cause some problems unless tweaking something on BIOS first. Should not lose data.

Makes me wonder why you didn't go with M.2 SSD instead but that's too late now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users