Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Water Damage and How to Go About Replacing

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ZenWhite

ZenWhite

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:56 AM

So last night water was spilt into my PC while on (about 6 or so drops, quite a bit) there is a hole for the fan on the top of my PC that is on top of my GPU (I know this one is fried) and my motherboard off to the side. I left it alone for about a day and turning it on I get to post beep from my motherboard which means my only other way to check to see what works still is by what fans are working. My PC also started to shut off randomly and not turn back on for hours but when it is running it doesn't seem like a PSU problem at all. Wondering what my options are in fixing my rig. 

Edited by ZenWhite, 17 August 2016 - 10:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:21 AM

Hello and Welcome!

Your numbers don't add up, you say this happened last night, but you also stated you let it sit for 2 days?

That aside, with water damage its hard to tell what has burnt up if anything. Before powering it up you have to be absolutely sure there is no water left on the computer or its components.

Trouble shooting what is damaged can be hard if you don't have spare parts to test with. Your best option may be to take it in to a repair shop where they have the needed tools to test and parts to test with.

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#3 ZenWhite

ZenWhite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:33 AM

Yeah didn't notice that but I edited it. It happened around the afternoon yesterday and I let it sit overnight. I checked the PC for any left over water before powering it on and as far as I know there is no visible water on any exposed parts. Thanks for the suggestion.

#4 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:06 AM

I am assuming this is a desktop? If the water spilled over and in the power supply, that may be where you need to start, with replacing that and see if it makes a difference.

Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#5 ZenWhite

ZenWhite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:11 AM

It spilled into the top of the desktop but my PSU didn't get hit I don't think. The PC can boot up and have all the fans running but it could shut off randomly.

#6 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:18 PM

So are you saying that the computer boots into windows, and you can use it and then it powers off randomly?

#7 ZenWhite

ZenWhite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:45 PM

No it powers on and I can have functions running such as my fans, hard drive, and disk drive power on and be usable, but my GPU won't turn on (no monitor functions and its fan doesn't work) and the motherboard doesn't boot into POST and I get no MemOK or any lights turn on expect a small light by the SATA cords.

#8 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:56 PM

OK, here is a test we can try to see if we can get some results....

unplug the computer, then hold down the power button for 10 seconds. Then with it off, remove the memory from the computer so that there is no RAM in the computer. Now plug it in and turn it on, the computer should start beeping at you with continues beeps. This lets us know that the mother board knows there is no RAM.

Try that and tell me what happens.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:17 PM

Along with the great advice given earlier, I want to add: it might be time to remove everything externally and internally and begin a "bench test/build."  Using another computer, download the beet codes and "lights behavior" for your specific motherboard, print it out, and then begin the bench test/build.  From mobo & ps, to one stick of RAM at a time, monitor, to a keyboard, a mouse, internal HD, and so on, in short, one item back online at a time.

Edited by RolandJS, 17 August 2016 - 09:18 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#10 ZenWhite

ZenWhite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:42 AM

I've tried your test this morning and there were no beeps at all. I am going to try and disassemble it later and see what works independently and what really is fried.

#11 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:55 AM

OK, if you tried the test I suggested and the computer did not even beep when no ram was installed, that leads me to believe that the motherboard does not even recognize there is no ram so the motherboard is likely fried.

Do you know exactly what area of the computer/electronics got wet?

Edited by Firefoxthebomb, 18 August 2016 - 11:56 AM.

#12 ZenWhite

ZenWhite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:35 PM

Directly on the GPU which is 100% fried and from your sayings then yeah my motherboard is fried also.

#13 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:27 AM

Yes that would be a good assumption. Even the smallest amount of water can fry those electronics, especially if they were powered on (or plugged in) when it happens

#14 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 387 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:28 AM

Well I am from Louisiana and we flooded badly here a few weeks back, not my personal house though. 2 of my customers got flooded and 1 of them pretty badly, 17 of their 18 pc's got wet and both of their servers got water in them.

I got 10 of the pc's up and running with no parts and a hair dryer. I got 1 server up and running with only 1 blown power supply that I had to replace.

Open the side cover and unplug all connectors, if you need to take a picture of where everything plugs in do that first so you put them back correctly. Use the hair dryer to make 100% sure the water is gone inside the connectors and the cable ends. If the cpu got wet take it out and dry the chip and sockets, same with the ram. Take out the bios battery and make sure it is dry and the socket it sits in is dry. If the hard drive got wet and you do not have a backup do not power it on, best to send to a recovery company. If you have a good backup then dry it as best as you can, then give it a try. If your GPU got wet remove it, it could be stopping your motherboard from posting. You can also try drying it with the dryer and try again.

It's definitely not fun working on wet electronics you have to be extremely careful, take your time and don't rush anything. I told my customer I wouldn't even look at the equipment until 2 full days have passed allowing them to dry out.

Good luck with this!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users