Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using DISM instead of ImageX

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 educationfiend

educationfiend

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:50 AM

Hello,

I just tried using DISM to image a laptop with a .wim file.  Usually I use ImageX for this, for some reason I cannot get into the command prompt with the Windows 7 boot USB stick..  Possibly USB3 related.

Used this command and it seemed to work fine: dism /Apply-Image /ImageFile:d:\my-windows-partition.wim /index:1 /ApplyDir:C:

Unfortunately, instead of booting to the "Preparing Windows 7 for first use" screen, the laptop won't boot from HD with the error message: "Insert system disk in drive".  I go into command prompt and I can see all the files were successfully copied across.  Any ideas whats going wrong?

Big thanks to JohnC_21 for all the help, slowly making progress.  I think my last thread was deleted..  apologies if I'm breaking forum rules, admins please let me know if this is the case.

educationfiend

•  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:14 AM

Your last thread was not deleted. It was merged with your first thread as it was related.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/621818/diskpart-imaging-issue-with-newer-model-lenovo/#entry4063795

You can find your old threads by clicking on the gear next to the search box at the top of the page and inputting your username.

Edit: This thread may be merged with the first also.

Were you able to find out if you could use imageX using an install disk of Windows 8 or 10? Both have native USB 3 drivers.

Create a Bootable USB flash drive using the Windows 8.1 or 10 iso and then copy over your imagex file to it. When you get to the first install screen press Shift + F10 to bring up a command prompt.

You can use the Media Creation Tool to download an iso file then use Rufus to create the bootable USB. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 August 2016 - 08:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users