Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Using DISM instead of ImageX

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 educationfiend

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:50 AM

I just tried using DISM to image a laptop with a .wim file.  Usually I use ImageX for this, for some reason I cannot get into the command prompt with the Windows 7 boot USB stick..  Possibly USB3 related.

Used this command and it seemed to work fine: dism /Apply-Image /ImageFile:d:\my-windows-partition.wim /index:1 /ApplyDir:C:

Unfortunately, instead of booting to the "Preparing Windows 7 for first use" screen, the laptop won't boot from HD with the error message: "Insert system disk in drive".  I go into command prompt and I can see all the files were successfully copied across.  Any ideas whats going wrong?

Big thanks to JohnC_21 for all the help, slowly making progress.  I think my last thread was deleted..  apologies if I'm breaking forum rules, admins please let me know if this is the case.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,137 posts
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:14 AM

Your last thread was not deleted. It was merged with your first thread as it was related.

You can find your old threads by clicking on the gear next to the search box at the top of the page and inputting your username.

Edit: This thread may be merged with the first also.

Were you able to find out if you could use imageX using an install disk of Windows 8 or 10? Both have native USB 3 drivers.

Create a Bootable USB flash drive using the Windows 8.1 or 10 iso and then copy over your imagex file to it. When you get to the first install screen press Shift + F10 to bring up a command prompt.

You can use the Media Creation Tool to download an iso file then use Rufus to create the bootable USB. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 August 2016 - 08:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users