Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice on upgrading my computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thanash000

thanash000

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:48 AM

Hello , I'm new to this forum   and also new at building and upgrading computers. The one I currently have is 7 years old and it was pre built when I bought it. I'm in university so I want to spend some time gaming and although I have a PS4 I can't spend 60 euro on a game every month.

My current setup is this : 

CPU : Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz

GPU : 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

RAM : 8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3

MOBO : Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. EX58-DS4 (Socket 1366)

STORAGE : 2x 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAVS-00G9B1 ATA Device (SATA)

PSU : I think it's 600 W , no clue what brand.

CASE : An old metal one which although is good quality it has no room for cable management and the air flow is terrible.

I'm willing to spend around 600-750 euro.

First off is it worth upgrading my current setup right now? Or should I wait till late December ( I can do it but if there is no point I can go for it now )

My plan is this :  Try and overclock my CPU if my motherboard can do it because I have no clue. I'll probably have someone do it for me.

Replace my GPU with a Gigabyte gtx 970 g1 gaming edition

Add a samsung evo 850 evo 120 gb SSD

Replace my case with a nzxt 340 source

Add another 8 GB of the same Ram

And lastly replace my PSU with a Corsair VS650 W 80 Plus ( Mainly because the fan in the one I already have stopped working and I manually fixed it and although it's working I don't want to

risk it in my upgraded setup. 

Is it a good plan? I don't really care if I can play all the new games coming on ultra and 60 FPS as I'm used on playing Witcher 3 and AC Syndicate on PS4. I just want to be able to enjoy the newer games.

Also I want to be able to record gameplay on multiple games without any discomfort. ( League of Legends , Battlefield 1 ) . I've heard shadowplay is really good ( Doesn't work with my current GPU ) and it's one of the reasons that I'm going with NVIDIA , I've heard AMD's recording software isn't as good

Any advice is much appreciated , thanks for reading!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:16 AM

Overclocking is OK if you can do it.

GPU replacement should be priority. Currently AMD cards are much better for everything else than 400+ range cards. Those "heard" rumours are usually unreliable. suitable cards RX 480 and if not available, R9 380 4GB. Some comparisons

I suggest getting bigger than 120GB SSD, ~240 GB offers best capacity/price ratio right now.

Case looks OK

8GB more RAM is cheap

I suggest something better than Corsair VS. For example EVGA G2 550 is much better.

#3 thanash000

thanash000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:05 AM

Thanks for the input! AMD rx 480 seems like a better option indeed. I went ahead and changed the SSD to 240 GB and the PSU and the difference is only 60 euro so all good there. 

One question though , is there a big difference between the Msi rx 480 and the sapphire one? Because the sapphire one is 45 euro cheaper!

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:10 AM

Not that much difference between those two. I'd say difference is not worth 45 dollars so go with Sapphire.

But wait, you are talking about custom models? Not this one http://cdn.videocardz.com/1/2016/06/SAPPHIRE-RX-480-2.jpg

Edited by Drillingmachine, 17 August 2016 - 11:14 AM.

#5 thanash000

thanash000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:15 PM

Never mind that , where I'm from ( Greece ) MSI is probably the cheapest with 320 euro so I'm going for that. Buying it off Amazon will only save me 10 euro so I'd rather buy it from a place I trust.

Edited by thanash000, 17 August 2016 - 01:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users