Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen Of Death

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Qas

Qas

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:58 AM

Hello, i turned my PC on ths morning, it was fine when it got to the Windows XP boot screen it gives me a quick flash of blue screen of death and restarts. When i go into safe more all those stuffl load and it is stuck there. I dont mind reformating its just that i need all my data first on my hdd!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:17 AM

First I want to speak to getting the data off of the hard drive. You could always remove the hard drive and install it in another computer as a 'slave' drive. The working computer should still boot up from the 'good' Master hard drive, and then you will be able to navigate (Start > My Computer) to the slave drive and recover your data. More info on how to install a second drive can be found HERE.

If your computer still boots, go to:

Start > right click on My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > Startup and Recovery Settings

Uncheck Automatically Restart

Click Apply and then OK

Now when you receive a blue screen the computer will pause on it and you will have to reboot manually.

The 'Blue Screen of Death' (or BSOD) is refered to by Microsoft as a Stop Message. They can occur for many reasons. In order to diagnose it's cause we need as much info as you can give about the stop message. Please write it down and post it back here the next time it happens. In particular, it helps to have the somewhat cryptic series of numbers about half way down the blue screen that have this sort of format:

0x0000008E (Followed by four other sets of numbers in parenthesis.)

It is also helpful to know the answers to these questions:
  • What are you doing when this happens (are you on line, starting the computer, etc).
  • Does it always happen at the same time?
  • Is it always the same message, or is it a different set of numbers each time?
  • Have you added any hardware or software lately?
  • Are you experiencing any other buggy behavior from this computer (such as it runs slower than it used to, etc)?

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:17 AM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode

If you can:
Click Start.
Click Control Panel.
Click Performance and Maintenance.
Click System.
Click the Advanced tab.
In the Startup and Recovery box, click the Settings button.
In the System Failure box, uncheck Automatically restart.
Put a check in Write an event to the system log, and Send an administrative alert.
Click OK.
Reboot.

Next time, it should give you an error message (BSOD) instead of restarting.
Write it down, word for word, and post it here.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Qas

Qas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:52 AM

i cannot gte into windows tho

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:54 AM

Did you try booting to safe mode?

#6 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:41 AM

that happened to me before. it would flash and i didnt get to read it. it was really annoying.

#7 Qas

Qas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:53 AM

no i couldnt, went into dos and copyed all my stuff over to my other hdd its ok now kthnx

#8 tkcraw

tkcraw

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 04:38 PM

if you have Service pack 2 installed the tap the F8 key on boot to get to the advanced options menu. In that menu there will be an option that will say "disable automatic restart on system failure". use your up and down arrow keys to highlight the option and then press enter to select it. Then the system will hold on the error screen and the big thing on that screen would be the "0x...". Once you have that please post it and there will most likely be a fix for it. Renember that you need to have service pack 2 installed for this feature.

Good Luck and hope to hear from you soon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users