Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Independent Wifi connection software

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BDesco

BDesco

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 02:35 AM

Hello,

I'm using windows 10 64 bit on my laptop.

I'm having some trouble with one particular wifi connection.

Normally one connects through the windows flyout (Flyout -> click connect).

Is there a software utility that is independent from Windows and that let's me connect to wifi?

If I can connect through this utility and not through windows, I then know that windows is at fault.

How would one call such a software? Which search keywords? I searched wifi connect software and alternatives but I get wifi forum troubles or software to share your wifi connection (laptop as hotspot).

Thank you!

Edited by BDesco, 17 August 2016 - 02:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 06:40 AM

I don't know if anything like that exists.  Even if it did it would most likely still use Windows to make the connection.  A better way to test would be with a Live CD, a bootable Linux.  Where you would boot with the CD into Linux and connect to the network.  That way you would know if Windows was at fault.  The problem is that you'd be introducing a whole new set of possible issues.

You can try Knoppix

Edited by Kilroy, 19 August 2016 - 06:42 AM.

#3 BDesco

BDesco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 02:55 AM

Good idea. Thanks BC Advisor.

I've tried it and that specific Wifi connection also fails In Linux while others work.

This gives me enough info to try to convince some people that it is not me but their server or something that causes problems.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users