Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble with installing Windows Updates

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 AmericanPharaoh

AmericanPharaoh

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:18 PM

Having trouble with installing Windows Updates.

After reinstalling Windows 7 Home Edition. I manually run Windows Updates until SP1 is installed.

The very next update is Windows Update Agent 7.6.760.320. After I install the WUA, I check for updates, but it seems to never stop looking. Hours go by and nothing.

This is where the problem starts. Checking Task Manager, Performance Tab, I find my Memory is maxed out and the CPU is at 25% to 35 %. I only have 4GB of Ram installed. Even when I shutdown the computer and restart my Computer,  the Windows Update Agent continues to run.

I did run SFC /scannow, but nothing was found.

I read something about if you install Windows Update Client, June or July, 2016. It will install over the top of the old WUA. However, I tried doing that and was not able to get it to install.

Am I doing something wrong? Forgetting to possibily set Windows to stop looking for updates first, or is it something else.

Looking for a solution to get the Windows Updates installed.

Thanks, for any help.

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:24 PM

Check this thread.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/623310/windows-update-sits-at-0/

#3 AmericanPharaoh

AmericanPharaoh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:20 AM

Hello,

After looking through the steps in the link provided, I stopped the Windows Update Service, then downloaded KB3102810. Once I started the install, Windows Update started back up and started installing KB3102810. Afterwards, I went back into Windows update and checked for updates, it now found 167 which I am now installing.

Thanks, for your help.

John

#4 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:21 AM

- Windows Update problem:

http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,4799.0.html

#5 AmericanPharaoh

AmericanPharaoh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:48 PM

@ Willy22,

I did see your link in the thread JohnC provided. This was actually the tutorial I used to fix my update problem. Thanks!  

John

#6 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:56 PM

- Yes, I already thought so. Because "JohnC-21" doesn't mention that one update (KB 3102810).

- I only now noticed that I posted my previous reply only one minute after you posted your previous reply.

- Glad I was able to help.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:29 PM

- Yes, I already thought so. Because "JohnC-21" doesn't mention that one update (KB 3102810).

- I only now noticed that I posted my previous reply only one minute after you posted your previous reply.

- Glad I was able to help.

Thanks for this. I will need to remember this update and bookmark your topic at tweaking.com

#8 AmericanPharaoh

AmericanPharaoh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:10 AM

Finally, finished with all my Important updates, the total was about 170 in all. However, there are still 74 Optional updates available for me to choose from to download and install, only I'm not sure which one's I really need. How do you determine which one's are needed? Seven updates are for my hardware, 2 for Net. Framework 4.5.2 & 4.6.1, the rest say Update for Windows 7 for x64 based systems.  

John

#9 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:59 AM

- MS has dropped support for .NET v4.0, v4.50 and v4.51.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2015/12/09/support-ending-for-the-net-framework-4-4-5-and-4-5-1/

So, I would recommend to install v4.52, the related security updates and all the "Optional" updates for that version.

- Some programs simply need that .NET. It will be published on the website of the program.

- DO install KB 2852386.

http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,4643.0.html

Did you install the "Convenience Roll Up" packeage ? If so, then you already will have KB 2852386.

- The other "Optional" updates are not that important, IMO.

- Also install the hardware related updates.

Edited by Willy22, 18 August 2016 - 08:07 AM.

#10 AmericanPharaoh

AmericanPharaoh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:39 PM

Was not able to download  "Convenience Roll Up" (KB 3125574) 

KB 3020369 has already been installed.

Thanks,

John

Edited by AmericanPharaoh, 18 August 2016 - 09:40 PM.

#11 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:03 AM

- But if you have installed all those ~ 170 updates (after installing SP 1) then one doesn't need to install "Convenience" update any more. Then you also have installed KB 3020369.

- I downloaded that "Convenience" and stored it for future use.

#12 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:08 AM

- Run SPECCY to see which .NET software versions are installed on your system. If you've got e.g. v3.0 SP 1 and v4.51 installed then you should select all the updates that are available for those 2 .NET versions.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

#13 AmericanPharaoh

AmericanPharaoh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:56 PM

After installing SP1, I downloaded approximately 170 updates. When I finished installing... which took over 2 hours, I ended up with 74 Optional Updates, left over. Some of those were there before I installed the 170 updates. Not sure how many but less than 10 total, and I think most of those were updates for my HP Desktop, Sound, SATA, PCIe Controller, Audio, to name most. Over sixty optional updates still remain uninstalled. I just finished installing the .NET Framework v4.5.2, so I believe you said to look through the optional update list for updates which support the NET v4.5.2 and install any of those, if I'm following you correctly. I still have not installed the NET v4.6.1, should I go ahead and install that, too or just leave it for now? I haven't installed any of the updates related to my hardware, because in the past I had trouble with the updated graphics driver locking up my system and giving a BSOD. So, I'm not sure which of the other hardware updates may also be wrong. My BIOS hasn't been updated since 2011. The Motherboard site isn't much help; The brand is Foxconn 2AB1, BIOS ver.6.08. 6/2011.

I wasn't sure how to post a snip from my computer photos here, didn't see any how to guide for it.

Speccy shows...

.NET Frameworks installed:

v4.5 Full

v4.5 Client

v3.5 SP1

v3.0 SP2

v2.0 SP2

If this is the correct information you were asking about from Speccy.

John

Edited by AmericanPharaoh, 20 August 2016 - 12:18 AM.

#14 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 02:47 AM

- Install .NET v4.52, run Windows Update again and see what updates show up for the .NET software. And install all those updates, both "Important" and "Optional". One problem: SPECCY won't recognize .NET v4.5.1 or higher.

- You can make a SPECCY snapshot: Choose "File >> Publish snapshot". Then the program will create a weblink that can posted on e.g. forums like this one.

#15 AmericanPharaoh

AmericanPharaoh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 02:16 PM

OK, NET v.4.5.2 installed.

I  ran Windows Update, found 13 security updates for NET v4.5, installed.

See Attachments. Used snip tool, then used Paint to erased my serial number from Speccy report.

Working on Optional updates now.

Attached Files

Edited by AmericanPharaoh, 20 August 2016 - 02:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users