Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bluetooth Networking

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jcoxy4

jcoxy4

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:50 AM

Hi,
i am just trying to create a LAN between two laptops using bluetooth.I have done all the preliminary stuff correctly,like set up my laptop to all others to connect etc.However on the other laptop it acknoleges my laptop can provide it access to the internet,and when i go to connect it says"registering your computer on the network" then it stops and says that my laptop did not provide an address.I think it is something to do with the dns and ip on the TCP/IP properties.
I should probably point out that my laptop internet connection comes through a wired router from the desktop downstaairs.

all help appreciated

regards,
James

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:35 AM

if you are going from lap to lap, no router, then you are doing what is called ad-hoc. you have no dhcp server that will give you an ip address. and you will have to use internet connection sharing. bluetooth has its advantages, but i wouldnt use it to ad-hoc to another node, then use ICS to get on the net. the range is bad and ICS is kinda crappy. but if you insist, you need to specify ip addy, subnet mask, gateway, dns ip. so, you need to provide more info about your router so we can tell you what to put in. ex:name of router, ip range. ex:linksys 192.168.1.1 dlink 192.168.0.1 if i could suggest 802.11g wireless, or maybe even hard iwire your lap on the network, check out this link i found 4 u. you may get 1-2 Mbs from bluetooth, as oposed to 54Mbs on 802.11g. and you dont have to do near as much configuring, and no ICS.

http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/webm...cle.php/3331421
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users