Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spilled Liquid on Surge Protector with PC Peripherals Attached

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NoviceTechie

NoviceTechie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:38 PM

Hi,

I just spilled beer on my APC surge protector. Connected was my router, and other PC components. I powered it off immediately, and didn't notice anything askew - no sparks or noises that grabbed my attention prior to powering it off. I'm just going to replace the unit to be safe.

However, I'm concerned about the devices that were plugged into it. They seem to be working just fine on another, but to be honest I don't know how a surge protector acts when beer is spilled onto it. Does it turn off to save the devices attached to it? Does it malfunction and subtly fry the devices on it?

In such an instance, would the surge protector actually be protective for all the items plugged into it?

Thanks for your time

Edited by Platypus, 16 August 2016 - 07:59 PM.
Removed formatting and advertizing hyperlinks inherited from another website

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:55 PM

Hard to resist typing puns in here about beer and electricity.... :whistle:

I believe if the surge protector failed due to being exposed to liquid the result would be far less than subtle. It would short circuit and blow the fuse in your house. Whether or not this would damage your electrical gear would be a chance, rather than a certainty.

In all probability the surge protector is still ok. You would want to wait a good long while before using it again though to be sure that any residual moisture has time to dry. Or pull it apart and clean it, then dry it with a hair dryer.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:37 PM

As noted, if the liquid caused a failure of the surge protector, then you would have blown the fuse in the surge protector (if memory serves many have their own fuses) or tripped a circuit at the electrical panel or both. As noted, it would have been subtle...you would have noticed it.

It is possible that the surge protector is fine since you turned it off so quick. If you want to risk it, then as said, let it fully dry before you use it again. If you really wanted, you could try taking it apart and cleaning it, but personally I don't like doing such thing with electrical equipment of that nature. If I am unsure of it, then I would just replace it.

If all the equipment seems to be operating fine, then you likely turned off the power to them quick enough.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 06:55 AM

As the others have said don't worry about it.  If it is working fine now, that's the best you could hope for.  If it shortened their life, there isn't anything you can do about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users