Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer driver problems

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 stratovani

stratovani

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:21 PM

I have an HP Deskjet 1050 J410 printer for which I've been trying to load the driver for in order for it to work. I've tried with the installation disk, and I tried downloading and installing the latest driver from the HP site, but nothing seems to work. The computer recognizes the printer as the default printer, but nothing prints - all I get is an error message. Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by hamluis, 16 August 2016 - 07:04 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:04 PM

Are you following the install instructions for said driver/printer?

Louis

#3 stratovani

stratovani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:23 PM

Are you following the install instructions for said driver/printer?

Louis

Yep, to the letter. HP even sent me instructions on how to install the driver by opening msconfig and disabling certain services. nothing seems to work.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:16 PM

Did you by chance have a lexmark printer installed before this HP printer?

#5 stratovani

stratovani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:32 PM

Did you by chance have a lexmark printer installed before this HP printer?

No, I have never owned a Lexmark printer.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:05 PM

Make sure your Printer Spooler Service is started and set to Automatic. Double click the spooler service. Under the Dependencies tab make sure your RPC service has started and on Automatic including the DCOM service and the RPC Endpoint mapper. 

If those are all started and on automatic then uninstall your drivers if listed in control pane. Open Devices and Printers. Click on the Windows XPS printer and in the menu bar click on print server properties. Under the Driver tab remove any printer driver you previously had installed including any HP drivers. Reinstall your driver software for the HP. Under the Ports tab look for a port called USB001. Is that there?

#7 stratovani

stratovani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:36 PM

Make sure your Printer Spooler Service is started and set to Automatic. Double click the spooler service. Under the Dependencies tab make sure your RPC service has started and on Automatic including the DCOM service and the RPC Endpoint mapper. 

If those are all started and on automatic then uninstall your drivers if listed in control pane. Open Devices and Printers. Click on the Windows XPS printer and in the menu bar click on print server properties. Under the Driver tab remove any printer driver you previously had installed including any HP drivers. Reinstall your driver software for the HP. Under the Ports tab look for a port called USB001. Is that there?

I couldn't find the Printer Spooler Service itself, but in msconfig under the Services tab the Print Spooler is checked so I'm assuming everything is OK there. I then tried to do like you said in the second paragraph but the system won't let me delete the drivers. However, the port called USB001 is there. I'll try again tomorrow morning.

#8 donaldlyles

donaldlyles

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:48 PM

Which is your OS, some drivers are not compatible with windows 8

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:14 PM

but nothing prints - all I get is an error message.

What is the error message?

#10 stratovani

stratovani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 03:52 PM

Which is your OS, some drivers are not compatible with windows 8

Windows 7 Home Premium

#11 stratovani

stratovani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 03:54 PM

but nothing prints - all I get is an error message.

What is the error message?

In the print queue dialog box it says error-printing, and every time I try to install the driver all it says is that the driver for my printer was not installed.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 04:08 PM

Right click Computer > Manage > Services. Look for the print spooler service and also all the services under the dependencies tab as I posted.

Under Print Server Properties what drivers are listed? Did it give an error when you tried to remove them?

#13 stratovani

stratovani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:18 PM

Right click Computer > Manage > Services. Look for the print spooler service and also all the services under the dependencies tab as I posted.

Under Print Server Properties what drivers are listed? Did it give an error when you tried to remove them?

I did as you said, and I found no drivers listed anywhere in the Print Spooler Properties box. In the Dependencies tab I found: This service depends on the following system components: HTTP > Remote Procedure Call (RPC) > DCOM Server Process Launcher and  RPC Endpoint Mapper.

And:
The following system components depend on this service: Fax

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:49 PM

The drivers are located in the Print Servers dialog box not the Print Spooler Properties.

For the drivers, those are located by clicking Devices and Printers. Click on the Windows XPS printer and in the menu bar click on print server properties. Under the Driver tab remove any printer driver you previously had installed including any HP drivers. 

You should at least see a Windows XPS driver. Only remove any drivers from previous printers installed including any HP drivers.

Make sure DCOM Server Process Launcher and  RPC Endpoint Mapper services are also started and on automatic.

Under Utilities and Tools on the support page for your printer download the HP printer Install Wizard. Run it. 

When installing drivers I would right click the exe and select Run As Administrator.

#15 stratovani

stratovani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:28 PM

The drivers are located in the Print Servers dialog box not the Print Spooler Properties.

For the drivers, those are located by clicking Devices and Printers. Click on the Windows XPS printer and in the menu bar click on print server properties. Under the Driver tab remove any printer driver you previously had installed including any HP drivers. 

You should at least see a Windows XPS driver. Only remove any drivers from previous printers installed including any HP drivers.

Make sure DCOM Server Process Launcher and  RPC Endpoint Mapper services are also started and on automatic.

Under Utilities and Tools on the support page for your printer download the HP printer Install Wizard. Run it. 

When installing drivers I would right click the exe and select Run As Administrator.

I'll give it a try tomorrow, since it's getting late and I need to be up early tomorrow. Thanks for the help, John, that's very gracious of you. I'll let you know how it goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users