Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Solid state drive randomly inaccessible

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Dr_Serenity

Dr_Serenity

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 05:44 PM

Hello everyone,

First time poster here...I'm sorry if this is the wrong section for this type of post.

For the past several weeks, I have had an issue with one of my PC's solid state drives where the drive would at random times become inaccessible. Mainly, this happens upon booting the computer, and after a restart, I'm typically able to access the drive and the files therein; however, I've also noticed this behavior on rare occasions after a program I'm using goes unresponsive (requiring me to use task manager to kill the program).

My PC specs are as follows:

==================================================

• Optical Drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST DVD/CD Writer
  • Power Supply: Corsair AX760 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 micro ATX LGA 1150 motherboard
  • CPU: Intel Core I7-4790K 4.0 GHz quad-core processor
  • CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper212 EVO
  • Memory: G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 MHz 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) dual-channel kit (F3-1866C9D-16GSR)
  • Graphics Card: Gigabyte G1 Gaming Windforce GeForce GTX 970 (GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD)
  • Solid State Drive #1 (C:): Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB (this is the OS drive)
  • Solid State Drive #2 (D:): Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB (this is the drive that has been exhibiting these issues; I keep Minecraft and some of my more resource-demanding Steam games here)
  • Hard Disk Drive (E:): Western Digital WD Black 4.0 TB (WD4003FZEX; this is where I keep most of my data)
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; currently running the Anniversary Update; installed in UEFI mode with CSM disabled and Secure Boot enabled

===================================================

I have BitLocker enabled on all of the drives...I have encrypted drive enabled on both SSDs (allowing BitLocker to use the built-in hardware encryption on the drives), and software-based BitLocker full disk encryption on the hard disk drive. The motherboard does not have a TPM header, so I have BitLocker set up to work without a TPM.

While the drive in question exhibits this behavior, I also notice that Windows Explorer will be incredibly slow to run (i.e., when I open Explorer, it will take up to 1-2 minutes for the drives and folders to show up). When I try to restart the PC after this, it will sometimes get stuck on the screen saying "Restarting...", thus requiring me to force-shutdown and reboot the computer. While the drive functions normally, I don't see any of the issues I mentioned in the previous few sentences.

I've replaced the SATA cable connecting the drive to the motherboard to see if it could possibly be a bad cable. I've also done multiple checks using chkdsk /r /f and sfc/scannow; neither of those checks have revealed any drive or file system problems. I've run the Windows memory diagnostic tool (I understand that Memtest 86+ will not work on a UEFI system); it showed no errors. Whenever I check for S.M.A.R.T. errors using Samsung Magician, everything appears to be "OK". Antivirus and Malwarebytes scans reveal no viruses or malware problems.

The only items I've seen which may shed some light onto what's happening appears when I look at the Event Viewer...during the times which the drive is exhibiting its funky behavior, I've noticed that my event log is spammed with multiple instances of the following 2 messages:

=========================================

• Event 153, source: disk, The IO operation at logical block address [insert address here] for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\00000037) was retried. (Note: in my system, Disk 1 refers to the 500 GB Samsung EVO SSD which has been giving me problems)
  • Event 140, source: Ntfs (Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs), The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: D:, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume6. (The I/O device reported an I/O error.) (The SSD in question is the D: drive in my system)

=========================================

At this point in time, I'm unsure what to do. I've backed up all the data on the drive just in case. I'm considering doing a PSID revert on the SSD in question, secure erasing it, and re-enabling encrypted drive to see if that helps with the issues I'm having. I'm also debating whether I should wipe my Windows 10 install and start over with a clean installation.

So...having said all this, do you all have any ideas? Is this more likely to be an OS issue or an issue with the drive? Would I be better off contacting Samsung and trying to get the drive replaced under warranty? Is there anything I might be missing?

Thanks in advance for reading this wall of text, and for your thoughts.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users