Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Too much security?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 auto1571

auto1571

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:26 PM

Hi, I was wonderin that for a Windows 10 OS would the following be too much and what if any would you suggest removing? Also are any in conflict with the other?

• WinPatrol
  • WinPrivacy
  • Spyware Blaster
  • MBAM
  • K9 web protection
  • Reasoncore security
  • Emsisoft Emergancy Kit
  • Kaspersky Total Security

I also have a couple of VPN clients but I don't think they're relevant here.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 05:47 PM

Free or paid versions of the above except for Emsisoft Emergancy Kit & Kaspersky Total Security?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 auto1571

auto1571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 05:58 PM

All free versions Quietman7.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 03:54 PM

Then I see no problem using them since there shouldn't be any conflicts with Kaspersky.

#5 Nealis

Nealis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:31 AM

Registered a new account with the intent to ask a similar question.  I have Avira free with Malwarebytes Pro.  I noticed that Malwarebytes Pro seems to also scan files realtime like Avira b/c it flagged and prevented some simple programs I wrote for my C++ class and it also stopped some installations of programs by flagging certain files as PUP.  I also noticed that adding all the processes Malwarebytes pro uses, the ram usage is actually a lot more than Avira itself.  I know Malwarebytes Pro is advertised a supplement to AV, but is this actually slowing my computer down having two realtime scanning solutions running at the same time.    There seems to be no recent in depth reviews or independent testing to help make a decision.  

#6 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:14 AM

Hi, @Nealis:

At the risk of hijacking the OP's thread...

...MBAM Premium (it has not been called "Pro" since March 2014) is indeed designed to run alongside your AV to provide complementary protection against mostly non-viral, zero-day and zero-hour malware threats often missed by the AVs. 

It ought not to bog down your system, unless your specs are low-end or unless there are other problems (e.g. other background security programs causing conflicts, etc.).

So that we do not hijack the OP's thread, if you would like a bit of help troubleshooting, I suggest starting a new post here in this bleeping forum or (preferably) in the MBAM support forum HERE.

We'll be happy to assist with setting mutual exclusions between MBAM and your AV and other steps that might be needed.

Cheers,

MM

#7 auto1571

auto1571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 11:49 AM

Then I see no problem using them since there shouldn't be any conflicts with Kaspersky.

I forgot to mention that I was paying for MBAM. All other secuirty apps though are free versions.

#8 Nealis

Nealis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:04 PM

Sorry auto1571 for risking hijacking your thread but my question seems to be also relevant to you since you also have MBAM premium.  Here is what I found through observing MBAM premium in action.  I have 16 gb of ram with relatively modern GPU/CPU setup for my main work computer and a old core 2 duo labtop with 3 gb of ram, so I can see what MBAM behaves in a low spec and high spec environment. 

MBAM does add CPU spikes doing anything including opening browsers, installing program, to downloading large files through steam for example anything thing that need to run and access a large amount of files at once, there are tools to record and log cpu spikes and what is causing or you can simply just open task manager and watch MBAM processes for a quick test.  On my modern computer you don't notice much difference in a practical sense, but it MBAM is not very light compared any AV, adding as much CPU spikes as my Avira for example.  MBAM premium has a web filter and that also uses cpu cycles that you can track if you downloading large files, example a game in steam. 

Doesn't make much sense to me to have both your main AV web shields on (I am using Avira Protection) and have MBAM website protection working at the same time they literally do the same job, they filter url links and the block urls that are flagged for whatever reason.  However at the same time they don't seem to interfere with each other so I guess there isn't drawback to it except the added resources of having two web scanning/filtering processes at the same time.

On my old labtop, MBAM does has a noticeable lag to everything, the CPU cycles used by the antivirus along with MBAM add up and the cpu struggles when you open Firefox for example, or download large files.  When the programs are already running though, there isn't that much practical difference, but MBAM again uses as much resources as Avira. 

So I decided to keep on using MBAM on my modern desktop, and discontinue it's use on my old labtop.  Been using MBAM premium for more than a year on my modern desktop without any issue, but at the same time it hasn't caught anything either so..... shrugs, that's not probably indicative of the quality of the MBAM, but my cautious defensive computer practices.  I know MBAM scanner is highly regarded, but I don't objectively know if realtime protection is any good and worth the extra cpu cycle and resources it add, it isn't independently tested by AV comparative or AV test or any other independent so I guess I will just take their word on its effectiveness. 

Edited by Nealis, 19 August 2016 - 02:05 PM.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:27 PM

Nealis, don't forget to remind us that MBAM and Avira AV are not the same, MBAM is anti-malware, Avira AV is anti-virus; now if you have Avira Internet Security - you might possibly have both AV and AM protection - I've had Avira AV before, however, I've never have used Avira IS.  To my knowledge, one formerly only-AM has morphed into both AV & AM -- Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

Edited by RolandJS, 20 August 2016 - 02:13 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:48 PM

I forgot to mention that I was paying for MBAM. All other secuirty apps though are free versions.

There should not be any issues using MBAM Preimum with your current setup either. In fact, see my comments at the bottom of Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium.

#11 auto1571

auto1571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:19 PM

Actually dissregard this last post as I think it was unnecessary.

Thanks.

Edited by auto1571, 25 October 2016 - 09:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users