Perhaps the safest thing you copuld try would be a RESET of Win 10
- Navigate to Settings. ...
- Select "Update & security"
- Click Recovery in the left pane. ...
- Click Get started under Reset this PC.
- Click either "Keep my files" or "Remove everything," depending on whether you want to keep your data files intact.
READ HERE ,,,<<<<Important>>>>
Be aware that a reset "keeping your files"....
- Reinstalls Windows 10 and keeps your personal files.
- Removes apps and drivers you installed.
- Removes changes you made to settings.
- Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled
In other words any programs (apps) that you installed, will be wiped.
Have a good read first.
Seeing you have backups on an external hard drive, I think you will be ok.
Are the backups from a program like Macrium...?
Condobloke ...Outback Australian
fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3 EXCLUSIVELY.
“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."
It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy