Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Skype for windows10

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 landscaper

landscaper

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:10 PM

Been using skype on 8.1 and 10 for quite a long time now and can't figure why it does not work now.Always shows skype home unavailable.I have googled it and tried every method to fix it that was available to know avail.They say it is due to one of the updates for windows10.Has anyone else had this problem.thank-you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:34 PM

Has this inability to work properly coincided with the latest win 10 update..?/....the anniversary update ??

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 landscaper

landscaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:26 PM

Could be,don't know if I got that update.All my updates say for version 1511.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:38 PM

version 1511 is not the anniversary update.

The new update will come to you in time.

Or I believe you can bring it forward by going to windows updates in settings and clicking on more info there....follow thew prompts.

My line of thinking is that the problem may well be solved by that update.

Have you totally uninstalled skype and then downloaded it again??....or are you using the install of skype that comes within win 10 ?

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 landscaper

landscaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 06:33 AM

Don't know on the skype that came with 10.I had the desktop version on windows8.1 and then upgraded to 10.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 06:36 PM

The upgrade probably borked the install....

Uninstall Skype.

Windows 10
  1. Close Skype and make sure it isn't running in the background.
  2. Tap or click on the Windows Start Button and type appwiz.cpl.
  3. Tap or click on the program to open a new window.
  4. Hold down on, or right-click on Skype from the list and select either Remove or Uninstall.

Reinastall Skype

Windows 10

#7 landscaper

landscaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:46 AM

Will give it a try.

#8 landscaper

landscaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:16 AM

Well,another problem.I upgraded to the anniversary edition and not only is skype home still unavailable but my seagate usb portable drive is not recognized and all my backups are on there.I guess another star for

Microsoft.

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:01 PM

Perhaps the safest thing you copuld try would be a RESET of Win 10

1. Navigate to Settings. ...
  2. Select "Update & security"
  3. Click Recovery in the left pane. ...
  4. Click Get started under Reset this PC.
  5. Click either "Keep my files" or "Remove everything," depending on whether you want to keep your data files intact.

READ HERE ,,,<<<<Important>>>>

Be aware that a reset "keeping your files"....

• Reinstalls Windows 10 and keeps your personal files.
  • Removes apps and drivers you installed.
  • Removes changes you made to settings.
  • Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled

In other words any programs (apps) that you installed, will be wiped.

Have a good read first.

Seeing you have backups on an external hard drive, I think you will be ok.

Are the backups from a program like Macrium...?

#10 landscaper

landscaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:14 PM

Actually I rolled back to the previous build and the slim drive is recognized.Skype still doesn't work but that's ok.The only problem that I see is eventually the anniversary edition will be automatically installed.So I am going to reinstall 8.1 again.Never had any problems with it.I would like to thank-you for your help.

Tony

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:24 PM

my pleasure...have a read about a clean install of win 10

http://www.cnet.com/au/how-to/clean-install-windows-10/

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

(or better still....try Linux Mint)      Video    and another

Linux..?...it works. (Skype too)

#12 landscaper

landscaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:28 PM

I do have an ISO of mint,gonna try it down the road if I can dual boot with it.Thanx again.

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:33 PM

When you are ready open a new topic HERE

This is the linux area on BC

You will be swamped with help to set up a dual boot of that is the way you need to go

I ran linux from a thumb drive for a while....and then simply wiped windows completely.

Your needs may vary according to some particular programs you need/have to run...?

Either way......just open a topic there and the help will come thick and fast.

Brian

#14 landscaper

landscaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:08 AM

Thank-you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users