Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Users,Unite. (Opinions)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 01:32 PM

Hello All, I'm looking to wipe my windows 10 lappy and put 2 linux distros on it.  one of them is going to be ParrotSecOS/Kali/Black Arch (security Distro(s)) but the other would be for casual use, im having trouble deciding between, Linux Mint, Ubuntu, and Ultimate Edition.

these distro's will be the latest version and Kernel, i just need you guys' opinion on which one to choose, i was thinking about going with Ultimate Edition or Linux mint.

i can configure WINE to play my WoW and the other software is available for linux like C2A, skype, vlc, etc.

So Which Distro wold you choose and why?

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 01:41 PM

Go with Mint. It's by far the most comfortable to use if you have used Windows for a long time. Before installing though, use the live USB/installer to see if there are any hardware problems.

On my laptop, the network drivers would not work with Ubuntu, so ruling out Ubuntu and its forked distros, I chose Apricity OS

If you want something slick, then Elementary (based on Ubuntu/Debian) and Apricity (based on Arch) are also a good choice

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 01:49 PM

I'm usually an Ubuntu user. It has typically worked the best on the systems that I have had.

Arch is one I want to get into. Just haven't had the patience to deal with installing it as of yet. But the rolling releases is nice. A distro based on it is worth a shot as well. Manjaro is pretty good, haven't heard of Apricity that Cking mentioned above.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:30 PM

Linux Mint...(Cinnamon Sarah)

Ultimate is a bit 'trendy' for my liking....

Have run mint now for approx 4 months....its middle name is Stable.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 Viper_Security

Viper_Security
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:40 PM

That's the only reason i would have used Ultimate Edition, is because a lot of people use it (secure OS and n breaks/bugs).

i have LM17.3 (Sarah) installed right now and it is VERY stable, so ill think about that.

@CKing123, ill check out Apricity as well.

@DeimosChaos, I was thinking about ubuntu but i heard 16.04 wasn't very stable, will be in consideration though.

hQBT2G3.png

#6 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:48 PM

@DeimosChaos, I was thinking about ubuntu but i heard 16.04 wasn't very stable, will be in consideration though.

Can't say much to how stable it is. Haven't run 16.04 a whole lot yet. Though I wouldn't worry about the early stages being a bit buggy. They'll get it fixed and be stable soon enough.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,117 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:10 PM

IMO:

Cutting Edge: Ubuntu's

Stability: LinuxMint

With that computer you have and your obvious passion for pc's, I would try Linuxmint KDE 17.3 OR Kubuntu 14.04.5.  I use LM KDE 17.1 and it is awesome!, the Dolphin File Manager is really nice also.  I'll leave it up to others to work out the bugs before going to 16.04.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 04:33 PM

I have been using Ubuntu 16.04 for about 4 weeks now and have had no issues so far.

#9 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:51 AM

Hi Viper, I have Ultimate Edition 5 Lite amongst my stable, featured a pic at Jonuk's "Show Us Your Desktop" a few weeks ago - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/592994/show-us-your-linux-desktop/?p=4033033

The wallpaper was from their 3.1 edition, I just like dragons.

For the most part, I really enjoy it.

I'd go into more detail but I have other fish to fry (or is that dragons?) ... so if you go that route, then I've got your back (or you, mine? lol)

:wizardball: Wizard

Nice topic :thumbup2:

Edited by wizardfromoz, 18 August 2016 - 02:16 AM.

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:21 AM

Just a BTW to the above ... Maui 1 "Aurora", if you are interested in trying something new.

I have just featured it at Jonuk's Topic, here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/592994/show-us-your-linux-desktop/?p=4066346

Looks interesting.

Default wallpaper looks like this

nOJyOsj.png

... but took me a devil of a time to find where the wallpapers were kept and activated, lol.

:wizardball: Wiz

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:16 AM

+1! :thumbup2:

While I run the MATE edition, which was once the 'regular' or Gnome edition, converted into MATE after Ubuntu went with Unity, it's just as stable as ever for me, and I've ran it for over 7 years now. So while I've tried a distro here & there, have never strayed from Linux Mint MATE. 

And as has been mentioned above by CKing123, long term Windows users are Linux Mint's targeted audience. Because they can jump right in w/out a prolonged adjustment, due to the Start Menu (& yes it's still a big thing, because W10 brought it back) & feel fairly much at home. Linux Mint Cinnamon is often called the ultimate replacement Linux OS for Windows 7 users. 

While I've tried Cinnamon a few times, I wasn't as impressed as some, or my tastes are different, not into heavy amounts of eye candy unless watching videos. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 vacuum-tube

vacuum-tube

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:29 AM

While I've tried Cinnamon a few times, I wasn't as impressed as some, or my tastes are different, not into heavy amounts of eye candy unless watching videos. :)

Cat

I prefer the Mate versions for the same reasons.

#13 Viper_Security

Viper_Security
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:25 AM

+1! :thumbup2:

While I run the MATE edition, which was once the 'regular' or Gnome edition, converted into MATE after Ubuntu went with Unity, it's just as stable as ever for me, and I've ran it for over 7 years now. So while I've tried a distro here & there, have never strayed from Linux Mint MATE. 

And as has been mentioned above by CKing123, long term Windows users are Linux Mint's targeted audience. Because they can jump right in w/out a prolonged adjustment, due to the Start Menu (& yes it's still a big thing, because W10 brought it back) & feel fairly much at home. Linux Mint Cinnamon is often called the ultimate replacement Linux OS for Windows 7 users. 

Cat

i have went with Ultimate Edition, and i used windows but not as a main OS, linux is my main OS, not windows.

but i thank everyone for the info, :)

Edited by Viper_Security, 18 August 2016 - 10:25 AM.

hQBT2G3.png

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:18 AM

i have went with Ultimate Edition, and i used windows but not as a main OS, linux is my main OS, not windows.

Same here, I not only run Linux Mint for stability, also security. While I have Windows installs on hand, it's because I help a lot of folks, both here & in person, and the same goes for Linux Mint, which I try and push as often as I can. Especially to those who are always seeming to have to deal with infections. And in large part, I know why, some runs their Windows OS 24/7 on Torrent sites, not really getting as much software, rather being a 'seeder'. 

This is by far, on a Windows computer, a risky operation, and when I show many that they can do the same with Transmission (& yes they catch on fast), the days of calling me over an infected OS are gone. Yet I'd never want to get anyone who lives within 5 miles of me advice on running a 24/7 torrent client, because some of the data can infect computers in the immediate area if not adequately protected. While these have never harmed any computer that I've converted to Linux Mint, one wouldn't want that computer to connect to one's personal network unless all Windows computers are shut down. And after the guest leaves, reboot the modem & router to flush any Malware remnants away. 

Yet I agree with the OP's idea, in Uniting Linux users, there's a site (I believe Nick has it) to where one can register as a Linux user & have their own personal Linux ID number. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 23 August 2016 - 02:48 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:23 AM

Yet I agree with the OP's idea, in Uniting Linux users, there's a site (I believe Nick has it) to where one can register as a Linux user & have their own personal Linux ID number

Sure do.

https://www.linuxcounter.net/

Edited by NickAu, 19 August 2016 - 03:24 AM.
Typo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users