Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM Modules Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tucknut

Tucknut

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:39 AM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/412092/the-best-ram-configuration-for-a-dell-studio-xps-435 - Hamluis.

If you are looking for double the ram which is 12GB then this would work.

Sorry to bring up an old topic but I'm looking to upgrade my 435mt to the three modules in your link. My question is, can I install the three modules in slots 1,2 and 3 and have no modules in slots 4,5 and 6?

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 16 August 2016 - 11:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:18 AM

Discussion in the Dell forums suggests you should be able to if you have the right RAM. I can't say whether killerx525's suggestion is valid, but in the discussion below, G.Skill is mentioned as tried unsuccessfully. But success is reported running up to 24GB of a memory from Fry's that is no longer listed (It was Kingston 9905403-199.A00LF). Poster Dubbah says they tried 2 DIMMs successfully as a test, before getting 4 more, so there seems to be no sensible technical reason why 3 should not be satisfactory if you can find memory that will work in that board.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19368276/19835904#19835904

Edited by Platypus, 16 August 2016 - 11:27 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Tucknut

Tucknut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:16 AM

Thanks, Platypus. Yes, I'd certainly rather avoid ordering those and have them not work. I see Crucial and Dell has recommended modules on their pages. I'll research those.

I'm also considering a kit (2x 4GB) for 8GB but I'm not sure which slots I'd need to put those into.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:27 AM

I'd say 1 & 2 should be fine if you only get 2 DIMMs. You'll not get the extra bit of bandwidth from triple channel operation.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users