Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Issue, both wifi and ethernet

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Desoulate

Desoulate

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:28 AM

Starting last Tuesday, I've been having the weirdest intermittent issues with connecting to the internet with this desktop. My connection would drop, and be re-established randomly later on. During the outages, the connection reads "no internet, secured" in the taskbar. I have looked into fixes regarding this issue, but nothing seemed to help. The wifi would just start to work randomly later on. This time however, it has been out for substantially longer. All of my other devices are connecting fine. I can see it I am sending and receiving information in the wifi status, so I am very confused as to why I can't connect. I've tried restarting the router, and that hasn't helped either. I tried using a powerline adapter, and it is saying it is an unidentified network, same as it is with the wi-fi. Please help shed some light on the issue, I am not very experienced with networking issues, but I will try to provide any information needed. Thank you for the help in advance.
I am using windows 10. I have tried uninstalling and checking for driver updates for my wifi adapter (intel ® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260) , changing HT mode in the advanced configuration for the wifi, as well as changing the channel width to 20, both of which I have seen others recommend fixing similar issues in the past.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 16 August 2016 - 03:11 PM.
moved from Windows 10 Support to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 01:07 PM

Is power saving set to maximum?  Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change Plan settings -> Change advanced power settings -> Wireless adapter settings -> Power Saving mode.

#3 Desoulate

Desoulate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:01 PM

Is power saving set to maximum?  Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change Plan settings -> Change advanced power settings -> Wireless adapter settings -> Power Saving mode.

I went and did this, and had no luck. I reset my pc, and found the drivers for my wireless adapter and reinstalled them. I am still having the same issues, so I'm thinking it isn't a software issue as I only have the stock programs that come with the initial windows 10 install.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:14 PM

When you use a Powerline adapter the adapters should be on the same electrical circuit. 

To verify if this is a hardware problem or Windows 10 issue download the iso of Linux Mint. You can create a bootable USB flash drive using the iso and Rufus. Opt out of any offered updates. Use MBR with BIOS or UEFI for a partition scheme. Leave all boxes as checked. Where you see FreeDos select iso image in the dropdown box, click the icon and browse to the iso file. Press Start. You may need to disable SecureBoot in UEFI if you have it and also Quickboot/fastboot. I don't know your computer model but it should have a boot menu accessed by tapping a key a boot where you can select your USB boot device.

At the linux desktop it will determine if any wifi networks are available. Click your network and provide your password. Browse the internet and see if you get any dropped connections.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3051

https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

#5 Desoulate

Desoulate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:19 PM

I did ipconfig, and my wireless LAN adapter wi-fi is as follows...

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80: :801c:fc6a:d741:5c6d%10

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address . . : 19.254.92.109

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . .  : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . : 

then the rest of listed devices are listed as media disconnected 

#6 Desoulate

Desoulate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:21 PM

When you use a Powerline adapter the adapters should be on the same electrical circuit. 

To verify if this is a hardware problem or Windows 10 issue download the iso of Linux Mint. You can create a bootable USB flash drive using the iso and Rufus. Opt out of any offered updates. Use MBR with BIOS or UEFI for a partition scheme. Leave all boxes as checked. Where you see FreeDos select iso image in the dropdown box, click the icon and browse to the iso file. Press Start. You may need to disable SecureBoot in UEFI if you have it and also Quickboot/fastboot. I don't know your computer model but it should have a boot menu accessed by tapping a key a boot where you can select your USB boot device.

At the linux desktop it will determine if any wifi networks are available. Click your network and provide your password. Browse the internet and see if you get any dropped connections.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3051

https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

I've used the power line adapters for this desktop in the past, they have worked fine. I assume this issue is propping up related to the wifi issue.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:31 PM

Boot the linux disk and connect your Ethernet. This would tell you right away if this is hardware related but because it's affecting Wifi and Ethernet I think it's Windows 10.

Did you try resetting TCP/IP? Press the Windows key + X and select command prompt as administrator. Type the following then reboot.

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Windows All in one repair has a Network Repair setting. Run the repair tool and only check Network Repair. Reboot.

#8 Desoulate

Desoulate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:46 PM

Boot the linux disk and connect your Ethernet. This would tell you right away if this is hardware related but because it's affecting Wifi and Ethernet I think it's Windows 10.

Did you try resetting TCP/IP? Press the Windows key + X and select command prompt as administrator. Type the following then reboot.

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Windows All in one repair has a Network Repair setting. Run the repair tool and only check Network Repair. Reboot.

I tried the command, rebooted and no luck. The windows all in one repair can be downloaded from here correct?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:50 PM

Yes, but I noticed that it does not list Windows 10 as a supported OS.

Edit: The forum at tweaking.com may answer on whether 10 is supported for network repair.

Windows 10 should have a troubleshooter for Network issues. If you type troubleshoot in the search box it should give you a link to the troubleshooter. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 August 2016 - 02:52 PM.

#10 Desoulate

Desoulate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:52 PM

I'm making the boot drive for linux, I assume I'll need to reinstall the adapter for that as well right? In regards to the make of my pc, it's custom, so the adapter was purchased separately 

#11 Desoulate

Desoulate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:56 PM

Yes, but I noticed that it does not list Windows 10 as a supported OS.

Edit: The forum at tweaking.com may answer on whether 10 is supported for network repair.

Windows 10 should have a troubleshooter for Network issues. If you type troubleshoot in the search box it should give you a link to the troubleshooter. 

the troubleshooter I did try, and it was unable to detect anything

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:57 PM

The adapter should automatically be detected by linux. No install required. If it does not detect your wireless it's possible the wifi adapter is too new and not in the linux kernel. If that is the case then use your Powerline Ethernet.

#13 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:27 PM

Can you tell us something about your network? ISP? What model modem and/or router?

#14 Desoulate

Desoulate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:37 PM

Can you tell us something about your network? ISP? What model modem and/or router?

My network provider is Verizon Fios, or whoever it is that bought them out recently. From what I can tell, we're using the Actiontec MI424WR. Since my last post, the issue seems to have spread to my laptop. It can no longer connect to the Internet. Linux was installed successfully, but cannot connect through friefox, though it seemed to have connected to the router no problem

#15 Desoulate

Desoulate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:42 PM

The adapter should automatically be detected by linux. No install required. If it does not detect your wireless it's possible the wifi adapter is too new and not in the linux kernel. If that is the case then use your Powerline Ethernet.

Power line is working with the desktop currently running Linux. Wifi is not, despite seeming to have connected without a problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users