Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7, 8.1 moving to Windows 10s cumulative update model

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:35 AM

This may be a positive. You will only need to download one update instead of waiting for automatic updates but I see a problem. What is Microsoft going to put in this "cumulative" updates that I don't need such as an update for the Russian Ruble or Lithuanian currency plus God knows what other junk. Is this going to be only Security Updates or does it also include important updates which I never bother with? Get ready for some huge downloads as they will be cumulative. Sucks for people with limited bandwidth.

Microsoft is switching Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 to a cumulative update model similar to the one used by Windows 10. The company is moving away from the individual hotfix approach it has used thus far for those operating systems.

One of the major differences between Windows 7 and 8.1 on the one hand and Windows 10 on the other is what happens when you run Windows Update. Microsoft's two older operating systems usually need to fetch a handful of individual patches each month. If a system hasn't been patched for a few months, this can require dozens of individual fixes to be retrieved. In the case of a clean installation, that number can reach the hundreds.

October 2016's Patch Tuesday will see the release of the first Monthly Rollup for Windows 7 and 8.1. This will be a single package delivering all of the security and reliability improvements released that month. Patch Tuesday will be delivered through Windows Update (WU), Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), and System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM). Subsequent months will have new Monthly Rollups, and these will be cumulative, incorporating the content of all previous Monthly Rollups.

Article

Also covered here.

Starting in October 2016, Windows 7 and 8.1 (Windows 8 being the defunct ginger stepchild) will receive cumulative updates once a month instead of individual ones.

You may recall that this was a trick already used by Microsoft to bury a version of its GWX nagware last year, secreted as it was inside an important security update.

The company explained in some blog post blah blah from Microsoft TechNet that this is an extension of the 'Convenience Rollup' (like calling the Job Centre a Happiness Park) that was first introduced for non-security updates earlier in the year.

The change is justified to avoid "lower update quality", increased "testing complexity", higher scan times, challenges finding the "right patches" (because you're only a sysadmin and what do you know?) and not being able to find patches in limited distribution.

Edited by hamluis, 17 August 2016 - 09:26 AM.
Mergeed topics - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:22 PM

Since this has been announced, I saw it on another news site this morning, I've decided today is the day I'll try writing linux to a big external hard drive to boot from, not just running it from a USB stick. After what went on with KB3139929 I don't trust updates being bundled together like that. Only if they do that again after what updates will become it won't be "go without IE updates, hence never use IE, to avoid the nasty thing", it will be "no patches for anything unless you accept some little horror onto your harddrive". Goodbye windows, after October I don't think I'll be using you much.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:36 PM

I think running on a USB 2 port would be kind of slow. Having a USB 3 hard drive on a USB 3 port would be preferable. 

I hate imagining all the junk updates Microsoft thinks I should be installing on my computer.  :killcomp:

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 August 2016 - 02:37 PM.

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:11 PM

A USB 3 port is what I'm hoping to use, just checking through settings to start the install now. The external HDD is designed for USB 3, I have some USB 3 ports. So far I've only booted USB 2 sticks with linux on them, I had some issues when I tried booting USB 3 sticks, but I hope that issue was due to the brand of the USB 3 sticks (they were sandisk, the USB 2 sticks that have worked well are PNY) not due to my BIOS. I'll know shortly, if I can't get this to work I might see if I can buy another internal HDD, same type as I've already got for windows, of the same type so I can swap those over to switch between OS.

Edited by rp88, 16 August 2016 - 03:15 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:18 PM

@ rp88, ..Good to see !!!... I've decided today is the day I'll try writing linux to a big external hard drive to boot from, not just running it from a USB stick !!!!

I made that move several months ago....have been blown away by the support here at BC....further blown away by the simplicity and power of Linux....and I am just overawed and thrilled to bits that updates and all the associated crap is no longer an issue .

Yesterday, I deleted my last remaining backup of windows 10 & 7.

They are needed no more.

Cumulative updates headaches, and trying to second guess msft......Finissimo !

Edited by Condobloke, 16 August 2016 - 03:45 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#6 Cnon

Cnon

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 12:02 AM

From the article:

Microsoft yesterday announced that beginning in October it will offer only cumulative security updates for Windows 7 and 8.1, ending the decades-old practice of letting customers choose which patches they apply.

Edited by hamluis, 17 August 2016 - 09:26 AM.
Fixed link

#7 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 12:22 AM

Only reason i have Win10 is for gaming otherwise it would be a unix system for sure but gaming on them just hasnt taken off but with games like grid autosport and a few others....well i guess i will just to have wait for the next "Year of Linux" to happen.

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,244 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 12:34 AM

I am surprised they didn't do this  earlier, they could have got almost everybody onto Windows 10 that way.  It could still be on the cards.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:18 AM

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/16/microsoft-to-push-all-in-one-windows-updates/

Good to know you can still download the Security Only Updates through the update catalog but most people will have automatic updates on and therefore will get all previous patches including the telemetry patches.

Starting October 2016, Microsoft will release a single Monthly Rollup that includes security and reliability patches in a single update.

It will be pushed to Windows Update, WSUS, SCCM and the Microsoft Update Catalog.

Newer rollups supersede previous ones, as they include all the patches they contained. Microsoft notes that express packages will be used to keep download sizes small for devices that have these rollups installed from Windows Update or WSUS.

The company plans to integrate other patches, released previously, to these Monthly Rollup patches. The goal is to include all patches at one point in time to bring all machines running Windows to the same patch level.

Single Security-only Updates

Also starting October 2016, Microsoft will push single Security-only updates to Windows devices. These updates contain all security patches of a given month, but they won't supersede previous security updates.

Microsoft will make them available via WSUS, SCCM and the Microsoft Update Catalog. However, it won't be made available via Windows Update.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 August 2016 - 10:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users