Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why does my computer discriminates ISO version for reset?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 BenXY

BenXY

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:08 AM

Hi all,

I am a newbie for this forum, this is my first post, let me know if there is anything I need to know.  

As the topic title depicted, I had a a few problems to downgraded the OS of my computer (Asus T100TAL ) to Windows 7, there are many reasons why I am compelled to do the downgrading, basically, factory built Windows 8.1 came along with this computer and previously promoted free Windows 10 OS just won't work with my computer(after 30 tries of reset processes), either very slow performance or I lost the audio...

Anyway, the issue I am having right now is that, I can download ISO from the source (Windows 8.1) and installed it to a USB disk via the software "USB to ISO" and then I could refresh my original Windows 8.1 for better performance(but there is something wrong, however I gave it up, it is not the main focus now), but when I tried to downloaded Windows 7 ISO and processed it in a same way, the same computer will ignore the managed USB disk therefore I could not install Windows 7 in my computer for a test, why does this happen? Please guide me to solution, thank you for your attention.

Regards, 

Ben

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:42 AM

Windows 10 compatible with Windows 7, 8 and Windows 8.1 device drivers if after upgrading or clean installing Windows 10 if a connected device wont work then install latest version of the device driver.

Can you please explain what you mean by computer will not manage USB disk?

Do you want to clean install Windows 7 OS from bootable Windows 7 USB flash drive?

Posted Image

#3 BenXY

BenXY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:05 AM

Thank you for your attention.

Windows 10 compatible with Windows 7, 8 and Windows 8.1 device drivers if after upgrading or clean installing Windows 10 if a connected device wont work then install latest version of the device driver.

I know what you mean, but it won't work in my case, it is a long story(30 reset for tests), let's just say there are phenomena in computer world... :halloween:

Can you please explain what you mean by computer will not manage USB disk?

When I tried to reset my computer by the same USB disk which I installed downloaded ISO via "USB to ISO", it worked when the ISO is Windows 8.1, it won't work when the ISO is Windows 7.

Do you want to clean install Windows 7 OS from bootable Windows 7 USB flash drive?

Yes, please help.

Edited by BenXY, 16 August 2016 - 08:06 AM.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:19 AM

If you need to install or reinstall Windows 7 you can use below page to download a disc image (ISO file) to create your own installation media using either a USB flash drive or a DVD.

If you want to clean install Windows 7 64-bit version you can if you like leave UEFI enabled but Windows 7 is not compatible with Secure Boot so you need to disable this feature from BIOS setup utility. If you want to install Windows  7 32-bit then disable UEFI and Secure Boot. If you want to install Windows  7 32-bit then you need to delete all partitions on the HDD if HDD is GPT style disk, as Windows  7 32-bit compatible with booting from MBR disk.

You can create bootable Windows 7 USB flash drive by following my instructions at below link or by using RUFUS program.

Download Windows 7 Disc Images (ISO Files)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

Create Bootable Windows Vista or Windows 7 USB Flash Drive

Edited by FreeBooter, 16 August 2016 - 08:21 AM.

Posted Image

#5 BenXY

BenXY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:33 AM

If you need to install or reinstall Windows 7 you can use below page to download a disc image (ISO file) to create your own installation media using either a USB flash drive or a DVD.

If you want to clean install Windows 7 64-bit version you can if you like leave UEFI enabled but Windows 7 is not compatible with Secure Boot so you need to disable this feature from BIOS setup utility. If you want to install Windows  7 32-bit then disable UEFI and Secure Boot. If you want to install Windows  7 32-bit then you need to delete all partitions on the HDD if HDD is GPT style disk, as Windows  7 32-bit compatible with booting from MBR disk.

You can create bootable Windows 7 USB flash drive by following my instructions at below link or by using RUFUS program.

Download Windows 7 Disc Images (ISO Files)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

Create Bootable Windows Vista or Windows 7 USB Flash Drive

First thing first, I tired the mentioned download web page, but I can not download it for a test because I don't have the product key.  As a side note, I do have a product key of Windows 8.1 from the bios of this computer, but the ISO file of Windows 8.1 downloaded from the same official web page won't accept it. According to the Windows service tech staff online, they said, my product key is an OEM..., I can't recited it clearly, because I don't understand what they are talking about, I did not continued to contacted them, because they acted like chatbots.

Thank you for the reply, I think there are some information are useful as soon as I saw them, I can't understand them well for the timing, I might come back after a little research.

Regards,

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:50 AM

The ISO download that FreeBooter suggested can only be used if the copy of Windows 7 is a retail version.  This will not work with a OEM version.

This product requires a valid product activation key for download. Enter the 25 character product key that came with your product purchase in the field below. Your product key is located inside the box that the Windows DVD came in, on the DVD or in a confirmation e-mail that shows you purchased Windows.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:53 AM

If you don't have a product code for Windows 7 how were you planning to activate the installation?

Is this a legal copy of Windows 7?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 BenXY

BenXY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:04 AM

If you don't have a product code for Windows 7 how were you planning to activate the installation?

Is this a legal copy of Windows 7?

I will stayed at the period of not to activate it(and presuming that I can keep using it like I am using Windows 8.1 right now), I am not sure about the legal part, as matter of fact, I think Windows Inc. owed me in some way, after all, I did not actively choose to mess with the OS which came alone with this computer when I got it from the seller(without installation media), but I lost the OS after compelled to upgraded to Windows 10 which with same unacceptable performance.  It went like... as soon as Windows started their aggressive promotion of Windows 10, the performance of this computer started to fell down to an unacceptable level, after a long process of upgraded to Windows 10 and came back to Windows 8.1...I was pushed out of a position of staying with legitimate OS at the first place.  My chance of using my legal OS copy was ripped off during a harsh and unwilling circumstance.

Edited by BenXY, 16 August 2016 - 09:06 AM.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:20 AM

Has the factory recovery been disabled in some way? Does holding either F9 or Volume Up while powering on access recovery mode?
Top 5 things that never get done:

#10 BenXY

BenXY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:26 AM

Has the factory recovery been disabled in some way? Does holding either F9 or Volume Up while powering on access recovery mode?

The system I am using right now is one which installed from official Windows 8.1 ISO without activating it, the performance is all fine, but I don't have the audio and that is very important to me as I am an artist who value music as a big part of art creativity process. For 1st question, no, the factory recovery is enabled, but if I do the factory recovery after the first reset, the new system will fix the audio issue while at the same time, I lost the performance again, so I am stuck where I am.  For second question, yes, holding F9 will access recovery mode, but the result as explained.  

BTW, the reason I am aiming to try Windows 7 is hoping to gain audio and performance at the same time.

Edited by BenXY, 16 August 2016 - 09:28 AM.

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:38 AM

There wouldn't seem to be any sensible reason for the original factory recovery to create slow performance, so I'd wonder more if there is a hardware cause (beyond an Atom just being a slow processor). And it seems unlikely in that case that Windows 7 would improve matters - the effect on system performance is little different between Win 7 and 8.1

However if you really want to use the Windows 7 in its trial period as a diagnostic, the most likely installation problem I can think of is if the Win 7 installation USB has been formatted as NTFS, in most cases it needs to be FAT32 to boot on a UEFI system.

Edited by Platypus, 16 August 2016 - 11:05 AM.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:39 AM

You have thirty days to activate Windows.  If after that time you have not activated it the operating system will be switched to a Reduced Functional mode.  After the thirty day period you will see a notice to activate your copy of Windows 7 every hour.  You will not be able to get any updates.  You will lose support for your Windows 7 software, this includes Microsoft downloads.  You will lose certain visual features, Areo Glass Theme being a good part of this.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

#13 BenXY

BenXY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:07 AM

Hi, 

Sorry to come back to you guys late, something came up for my work projects. Thank you for your attentions.  Below are my replies:

There wouldn't seem to be any sensible reason for the original factory recovery to create slow performance, so I'd wonder more if there is a hardware cause (beyond an Atom just being a slow processor). And it seems unlikely in that case that Windows 7 would improve matters - the effect on system performance is little different between Win 7 and 8.1

However if you really want to use the Windows 7 in its trial period as a diagnostic, the most likely installation problem I can think of is if the Win 7 installation USB has been formatted as NTFS, in most cases it needs to be FAT32 to boot on a UEFI system.

Hi, Thank you for your reply.

The computer performance works fine in one installation scenario, the audio works fine in another installation scenario, and I had been through back and forth between the mentioned scenarios, I think hardware are all working, it is just they(performance and audio) don'e work together in one scenario.  I understand you when you said "There wouldn't seem to be any sensible reason for the original factory recovery to create slow performance", but my user experiences as described stated differently, my long time user experiences of computer falls on a domain which kept me at a point where near a line I might call "system incapacitation" but never actually touched that line, it is like there are some superintelligence hackers are behind this, ...as a a figure of speech.

I noticed and tried Win 7 installation USB in format Fat 32 based on a few similar online reports like you mentioned, but no, it did not work for my case.

You have thirty days to activate Windows.  If after that time you have not activated it the operating system will be switched to a Reduced Functional mode.  After the thirty day period you will see a notice to activate your copy of Windows 7 every hour.  You will not be able to get any updates.  You will lose support for your Windows 7 software, this includes Microsoft downloads.  You will lose certain visual features, Areo Glass Theme being a good part of this.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Hi, Thank you for your reply.  Is this(1) what you were talking about?

(1) The details of my computer:  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/dAWoUrPPJn06uoDEgW1eSvZ

Edited by BenXY, 18 August 2016 - 05:10 AM.

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:31 AM

The computer performance works fine in one installation scenario, the audio works fine in another installation scenario, and I had been through back and forth between the mentioned scenarios, I think hardware are all working, it is just they(performance and audio) don't work together in one scenario.

How do you achieve the scenario with good performance but no sound? Have you tried whether using a USB sound module then also drops the performance? I'd wonder whether the audio has a problem that produces extreme DPC latency. This sometimes causes problems with the sound when something else is creating DPC latency, but if it's the reverse and the onboard sound had a fault that was causing DPC latency and slowing everything else down that could answer the description of your symptom.

#15 BenXY

BenXY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:53 AM

How do you achieve the scenario with good performance but no sound? 

Hi, you probably missed it, I explained it in thread 10, here is the quote " if I do the factory recovery after the first reset, the new system will fix the audio issue while at the same time, I lost the performance again".  Also, I can fix the audio by downloading "SOC Driver Package | Intel official driver updates" from official Asus support page, it will fix the audio, and the next development is the same, I lost the performance, the computer response time became extremely slow.

Have you tried whether using a USB sound module then also drops the performance? I'd wonder whether the audio has a problem that produces extreme DPC latency. This sometimes causes problems with the sound when something else is creating DPC latency, but if it's the reverse and the onboard sound had a fault that was causing DPC latency and slowing everything else down that could answer the description of your symptom.

Sorry, the part of what you said is out of my knowledge, I don't know how to respond.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users