Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does this sound like a Hard Drive issue? (Automatic Repair loop)

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Napkins246

Napkins246

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:23 PM

Hello. A few hours ago I tried to turn on my desktop computer, and I was presented with a blue screen which says "Automatic Repair. Your PC did not start correctly. Press restart to restart your PC, which can sometimes fix the problem, You can also press Advanced options to try other options to repair your PC." I've tried restarting my computer and that doesn't help. Within advanced optiions I can do a system restore(which doesn't work even though I have restore points,  startup repair(which fails),  go back to previous build(which fails), reset this PC, reinstalling windows 10(which fails), and then System Image Recovery, Command Prompt, and Startup Settings. 

To add some backstory, For the past year or so I've been having trouble starting up my computer. Basically what happens is it starts up perfectly most of the time, but occasionally it won't start correctly and it will restart 20-30 times saying it's trying to do windows updates before it turns on properly. I asked my friends about this and they said it seemed like my hard drive was failing. It's a 1 TB HDD. Does what I described above sound like it's in line with hard drive troubles. I'm willing to spend money to buy a new hard drive and repair my computer if necessary, I just don't know how to diagnose what is wrong.

Edit: to add more information this is the error I'm getting 0xc000021a. I've done some research into how to fix this but unfortunately since I can't run safe mode much of the fixes are unavailable to me. Now back to googling troubleshooting...

Edit: I guess I got here because I turned off my computer during an "update"(when my computer decided it wanted to restart 20-30 times in a row updating). I'm an idiot this has nothing to do with my hard drive.

Edited by Napkins246, 16 August 2016 - 03:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:28 AM

Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select Power Power button > Restart.

After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.

After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Napkins246

Napkins246
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 01:01 PM

Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select Power Power button > Restart.

After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.

After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

Thanks for the comment. However, I never get to the sign-in screen. I get to a blue screen right away which says my computer failed to start and that some data is being collected them my computer will restart. Then I get a repairing/diagnosing screen after my computer restarts for like 15 seconds and it goes to the automatic repair screen. It's here that I can choose advanced options>troubleshoot>advanced options>startup settings>restart, which sounds like what you suggested. However, when I restart my computer and press 4 for safe mode, it fails to start just as it was failing to start regularly. As I said in my original post, safe mode is not available to me. I've been doing some research into this and what I'll paste below seems like a common solution to the problem.

1. Type: “DISM /image:C\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions”
  2. Then type: “move C:\Windows\WinSxS\pending.xml C:\Windows\WinSxS\pending.old”

Unfortunately when I try step 1, I get an "Error: 2. Unable to access the image." Perhaps I'm only running a normal command prompt while the page with these instructions wants me to run an "elevated command prompt." I don't know why it doesn't work but maybe my computer is just really messed up. What's weird is that I used chkdsk on C and it didn't seem like anything was wrong so I guess all of my hardware does work, but there's just a few files messed up in my computer and I can't seem to figure out how to fix it.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 01:21 PM

Please run sfc /scannow.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To open the Command Prompt press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key at the same time.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click/tap on this.

You will see a window similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste in sfc /scannow, then press Enter.

This will take a while,  have patience and allow it finish.  Stopping this scan could damage files.  

When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan.

Do the following to access the sfc /scannow log.

Open the Command Prompt, copy and paste the command below followed by pressing the Enter key.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled CBS.  Double click on this icon to open 
the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Napkins246

Napkins246
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 01:55 PM

Hi dc3. I navigated my way to the command prompt through the automatic repair screen, but when I try to run sfc /scannow I receive a message which says "There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart windows and run sfc again." I've tried this a few times and even if I restart I receive this issue. I guess I'm in this "system repair" until I fix my computer, so I won't be able to use scannow in that time. Also, even if I were able to complete the scan, I wouldn't be able to copy and paste the results to this page, as my computer does not even get to the log in screen, so I do not have the ability to post to this page (or really do anything) with the computer I'm having my issue with. Thanks again.

Edited by Napkins246, 16 August 2016 - 01:55 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:18 PM

See if it will let you run the command below.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

#7 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:30 PM

Lets revert any pending updates first:

DISM /image:C\Windows /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

This command should work

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#8 Napkins246

Napkins246
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:56 PM

See if it will let you run the command below.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

I tried and I got:

Error: 50

DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /Online option.

The DISM log file can be found at X:\windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

When I open the command prompt it says X:\windows\system32>. Is this where I should be? I'm capable of navigating through directories with the command prompt, as I've done it in linux before and the commands for windows are pretty similar, so I can easily go to other folders if necessary.

#9 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:00 PM

That's because the DISM command with /Online switch will only work if you run it in Windows.

Run this command in Recovery Options/Environment Command Prompt:

DISM /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

The command you ran before, you did not include the : after /image:c, so try the command above

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Github | Keybase

#10 Napkins246

Napkins246
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:02 PM

Lets revert any pending updates first:

DISM /image:C\Windows /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

This command should work

-CKing

Hi thank you very much for trying to help me out. I tried this command but it only returned the error below:

Error: 3

Unable to access the image.

Make sure that the image path and the Windows directory for the image exist and you have Read permissions on the folder.

The DISM log file can bee found at X:\windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

What you suggested seems very similar to what I was trying earlier which I mentioned in a previous post

I've been doing some research into this and what I'll paste below seems like a common solution to the problem

1. Type: “DISM /image:C\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions”
  2. Then type: “move C:\Windows\WinSxS\pending.xml C:\Windows\WinSxS\pending.old”

Unfortunately when I try step 1, I get an "Error: 2. Unable to access the image." Perhaps I'm only running a normal command prompt while the page with these instructions wants me to run an "elevated command prompt." I don't know why it doesn't work but maybe my computer is just really messed up. What's weird is that I used chkdsk on C and it didn't seem like anything was wrong so I guess all of my hardware does work, but there's just a few files messed up in my computer and I can't seem to figure out how to fix it.

Edited by Napkins246, 16 August 2016 - 03:03 PM.

#11 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:05 PM

Huh

Could be that the letter of the drive may be different. Lets find that out. In Command Prompt again, type notepad

Then, in notepad, go to File > Open, and find the letter of your boot drive. Then, close Notepad and run this command:

DISM /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

Replace C with the letter or your boot drive, and if it finishes successfully, restart your computer

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#12 Napkins246

Napkins246
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:19 PM

I'm not 100% sure how to find the letter of my boot drive using the method you described. When I File>Open in notepad I'm able to open a dropdown titled System32. There I see SYSTEM RESERVED (C:), GATEWAY(D:), PQSERVICE (E:), REMOVABLE DISK with F G H I and J, and BOOT(X:). Within Boot(X:) there is a Windows Folder and within that there is a System 32 folder. I'm guessing this means the letter of my boot drive is X. I tried the above command with X instead of C and it returned this error:

Error:  87

The /image options that is specified points to a running Windows installation. To service the running operating system, use the /Online option. For more information, refer to the help by running DISM.exe /Online /?.

The DISM log file can be found at X:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

#13 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:01 PM

Don't do it to X drive. X drive is the recovery environment in RAM, so running on it won't help. Could you open the rest of the disks to see if there is a Windows folder? Don't run the command on that disk yet, but just provide an update as to which drive letter it is

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#14 Napkins246

Napkins246
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 05:24 PM

Gateway (D:) has a bunch of folders and a few text files, but one of the folders is Windows. I'll post the other folders just to give you some more info in case that's helpful

Folders:

AMD

inetpub

perflogs

program files

program files (x86)

riot games

SC2Replay archive

users

Windows

Windows 10upgrade

Text Files:

log

PRE-DVD-Log

Recovery

#15 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:50 PM

Seems to be the right disk. Let's run this command in the Recovery Environment Command Prompt:

DISM /image:D:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

If it gives an error, tell us the exact message that appears.

If it succeeds, restart your computer to let it finish reverting changes and see if it boots.

-CKing

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users