Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

adding usb 3.0 ports to Dell Inspiron 3847

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 !@@**##

!@@**##

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:58 PM

This has six USB ports on the back; they are on-board.  Two of these are 3.0, four are 2.0.  There are also two 2.0 USB ports on the front; they are cabled to a 9-pin header on the MOBO (green USBF1).  There is a free bay on the front, but it has a fold-down door for an optical drive built into the bezel; I don't see a way to use that bay to add a front panel USB hub.

Ideally, I'd like to have three or four 3.0 USB ports on the front.  Not just a hub with a Type A male connector plugged into a 3.0 port on the back.  (The distance from the rear USB to the top of the front is about 24".)

There are expansion slots for cards - two PCIEX1 and one PCIEX16.  I realize I can add more 3.0 ports to the rear by adding a card, but that's not my first choice.

Wondering what approaches there might for this, other than just an external hub lying on top of the computer case and connected to a USB 3.0 port on the back.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 !@@**##

!@@**##
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:31 AM

If you disconnect the front USB 2.0 ports from the USBF pins on the MOBO by removing the cable, and then connect this cable to a 3.0 connector, do these 2.0 ports on the front remain 2.0 or do they become 3.0?

Edited by !@@**##, 16 August 2016 - 09:00 AM.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:35 AM

If you disconnect the front USB 2.0 ports from the USBF pins on the MOBO by removing the cable, and then connect this cable to a 3.0 connector, do these 2.0 ports on the front remain 2.0 or do they become 3.0?

No. USB 2.0 has different cabling/connectors to the motherboard than USB 3.0.

KuF8o.png

You can do a front USB 3.0 panel that takes up an external 5.25" bay (i.e. bay for optical second optical disc drive) or a 3.5" floppy bay, if you have a spare 5.25" or 3.5" floppy bay available (and assuming that it does not have an annoying door on it that gets in the way or cannot be removed as some Dell computers do...call not tell from the pictures of that Dell model). Here is one that has four USB 3.0 ports (this one is for a 3.5" floppy bay, but you can get 5.25" bay adapters that will allow it to work in an empty 5.25 bay), but there are plenty of other options*. This one will require an USB 3.0 header on your motherboard OR a PCI USB 3.0 card with an internal header if your motherboard does not have an internal USB 3.0 header.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812126003&cm_re=usb_3.0_front_panel-_-12-126-003-_-Product

* Some of the options are actually hubs that mount in 3.5" floppy bay or 5.25" bay but then connect to a USB 3.0 port on the back. The one that I linked to is actually for use with an internal USB 3.0 header.

FWIW, here is a 5.25" adapter:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994080&cm_re=3.5_to_5.25_bay_adapter-_-17-994-080-_-Product

Edited by smax013, 16 August 2016 - 10:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users