Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista OS will not install Windows updates

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 brettski1

brettski1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:48 PM

I have received substantial help from Nasdaq on the Spyware malware forums:  http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/topic/136678-ms-vista;-will-not-update-windows/

Ultimately, Nasdaq says that I have no malware issues and that I should reach out to this forum for subsequent assistance. 

Older PC, maybe 9 years or so.  About 2 months ago, it stopped installing MS updates.  It will download the updates, but will not install them.  I cannot summon the updates by checking for Windows Updates.  The request says "Checking for updates" and never goes any further.  I leave the PC on overnight and it will automatically retrieve the updates, but they will not install.  All the update failures are labeled with Error Code 80070020. 

I have already tried clearing out the update cache; no change.  I have tried to download the MS Update fixit tool.  My PC doesn't know what program to use to read a Diagcab file.  Neither do I.  Leading up to the inability to run the Windows update, the PC was running very slow.  I ran ComboFix, RKill + Malwarebytes, and I also used Wise registry cleaner.  It is entirely possible that I have deleted important Windows Update registry keys; not sure. 

I am reasonably familiar with moving in and out of programs and CMD prompts, etc.  What next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:14 PM

Hi and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer :)

Please run SURT:

System Update Readiness Tool (SURT)

1. Download and run the following file.

2. When it asks you if you wish to install, please answer yes. Note: It could take 15 minutes or more to run. Please don't cancel.

3. You will get an Installation Complete screen when it's done running.

4. Please attach the log from the following location. C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 brettski1

brettski1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:08 PM

Hello CKing.   Thank you very much for your prompt assistance.

I have tried stand alone update installation.  I did it as one update at a time.  The couple of attempts yielded the same result:  I click the standalone update download, it quickly shows "preparations complete", the begins "searching for updates".  This is the point where it stops progress and just stays on "searching for updates".  I have given it many minutes to find an update, even with singular updates.  Same result;  stays stuck on "searching for updates".  

I downloaded the SURT link, 147mb.  I clicked open the folder and got this exact same result; stuck on "searching for updates".

Oh, and also, I cannot stop the search box.  I cannot close it, I cannot close the tab on the lower toolbar.  I have to log off to get it to stop.

Edited by brettski1, 15 August 2016 - 08:10 PM.

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:13 PM

Let's fix the checking for updates bug:

Temporarily change your Windows Update settings to manual (so it doesn't check for updates), then manually download these updates in the following order (If these updates say they are not applicable, ignore it and go to the next update. If the update requires a restart, do so):

KB3109094

KB3164033

KB3078601

KB3145739

KB3168965

KB3177725

After you are done installing these updates, try running SURT again. Let me know if any of these updates give an error

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#5 brettski1

brettski1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:57 PM

sorry, but the exact same issue.  I set the Windows updater to "never check for updates".  Then, I downloaded the first update link and clicked it open.  It quickly showed "preparations complete", then got stuck on "searching for updates".

Edited by brettski1, 15 August 2016 - 08:59 PM.

#6 KellyMorgan

KellyMorgan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:37 AM

I got a solution from Microsoft Answers.

I hope you can check if that helps you.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-update/windows-vista-wont-update/14747e69-9141-4f5d-b4a3-601346ccc55e?page=1>

#7 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:35 AM

About 2 months ago, it stopped installing MS updates...I set the Windows updater to "never check for updates".  Then, I downloaded the first update link and clicked it open.  It quickly showed "preparations complete", then got stuck on "searching for updates".

First, if your Vista was fully up-to-date "about 2 months ago," then you probably only need 2 or 3 items from post #4: KB3164033 (June 14), KB3168965 (July 12), and KB3177725 (August 9). You might want to review your update history, especially regarding the June 14 update.

Second, it sounds like Windows Update was still running. After setting to "never check for updates," click OK and restart the PC. Some say disconnect from the internet also.

Edited by Abzyx, 16 August 2016 - 10:36 AM.

#8 brettski1

brettski1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:29 PM

Second, it sounds like Windows Update was still running. After setting to "never check for updates," click OK and restart the PC. Some say disconnect from the internet also.

Wow, a bit of cracking ice!  Figures for me....it's always the simple, ridiculously basic fixes.

I closed all windows, unplugged the Ethernet from my router, and completely turned off the computer.  I then re-started, waited for a normal boot, then plugged the Ethernet back into the router.  I then went back up to CKing's listing of 6 stand-alone updates and started clicking, one at a time, per original instruction.  They went thru and downloaded...or, at least, 4 of them did.  The other 2 (-094 and -601) came back with the message:  The Update Does Not Apply to Your System.  I then shut down and allowed the automated 3-phase installation.  All 4 installed successfully on the update log. 

Then, feeling quite brave now, I clicked on the Windows update check and the same tired old story....it got stuck on "Checking for Updates".  I let it run for 20 minutes, just hoping, but no luck.  Just stays stuck on "Checking for Updates".

So.....

I think I will re-start the automated update check to see if it grabs it overnight like it used to.  Make sense?

Thanks, Abzyx!

#9 brettski1

brettski1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:47 PM

Further update

I went back into the Window update settings and set it to automatically update at the next "top of the hour" so I could see what may happen.  It worked.  It downloaded and installed without a hitch.  All 30 updates show on the log as successful.  The only other unknown will be what happens if/when I proactively ask to search for updates.  We will see.  But, for now, I would say I am in pretty good shape.

Again, to all, many thanks. 

-

Excuse me now as I search out the DONATE  button and pitch in for the great support.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users