Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM upgrade question

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Rusu

Rusu

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:28 PM

i currently have this Kit Dual Channel Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB), DDR3, 1600MHz, Radiator

would like to get 8gb more or maybe save up some cash and get 2x8gb

if i do get 8gb should i get another kit 2x4 or get a single one?

i am guessing i should go for the single since there are only 4 memory slots

that way if in the future if decide to get another 8gb i can stick in there on my last slot

my mobo is Gigabyte Z77-D3H, and i'm currently running dual channel so noob questions:

could i 4x2 on dual if i add another 8gb? or how about dual 4x2 and dual 8x2?

i'm not sure it supports quad channel, anyway how are the speeds influenced by slots?

Edited by hamluis, 15 August 2016 - 05:59 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:22 PM

4 slots are only capable of running dual channel, your memory will only run as fast as its slowest ram (MHz wise) you can run 4gb 4gb 8gb 2gb all at the same MHz speed just fine

click Here for a more detailed breakdown on how memory works in dual channel mode

Edited by TheTripleDeuce, 15 August 2016 - 08:24 PM.

#3 Rusu

Rusu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:58 AM

i can maybe work a new solution around this, i talked to a friend and i could sell him my ram

so if i sell him my 4x2, then i can get 8x2 and potentially more in the future if i need it

only problem is he has a weaker mobo, but the ram should work for him just at slower speed?

his ram Kingston 2GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM Single Rank and his mobo ASRock G41M-VS3 R2.0, Socket 775

my ram Kit Dual Channel Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB), DDR3, 1600MHz, Radiator and mobo Gigabyte Z77-D3H, socket 1155

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:03 AM

Dual channel increases the throughput speed to about twice its normal speed.  In order to run dual channel you will need a matched pair of modules.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Rusu

Rusu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:50 AM

pe0Eyac.png

can you please answer this tho, i want to sell my ram to my friend (as long as it works, doesn't matter that my ram won't operate full speed on his PC)

his ram Kingston 2GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM Single Rank and his mobo ASRock G41M-VS3 R2.0, Socket 775

my ram Kit Dual Channel Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB), DDR3, 1600MHz, Radiator and mobo Gigabyte Z77-D3H, socket 1155

then i can get 2x8gb and run them dual channel, thanks

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 12:35 PM

If you post the part number for your modules I may be able to determine if your RAM will be compatible with your friend's motherboard.

The Speccy is showing the temperature for your CPU to be 71C, if this is correct you are at the maximum temperature for this processor.  The reason I mention "if it is correct" is because the motherboard's temperature is only 28C.  If the CPU was running this high the motherboard temperature should be higher than what is being reported.  Please download and install CPUID's HWMonitor and post the temperatures of the CPU and motherboard.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Rusu

Rusu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 12:51 PM

mIMgcwp.png

cpu temp is fine, i took that screen while running a game i'm still running some craps now, media player and youtube but i think temp is ok

which part number do i need to post of the modules you said?

#8 Rusu

Rusu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 12:55 PM

this is the mobo i want to use my ram in

http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/g41m-vs3%20r2.0/

and maybe this helps kIMrRmf.png

#9 Rusu

Rusu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:22 PM

this is what i would like as my upgrade Dual Channel Corsair Vengeance, 16GB (2 x 8GB), DDR3, 1600MHz, 10-10-10-27, 1.5V, radiator

my mobo http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4140#ov

sorry about the messy posts and double posts, just wanna make sure i can sell my old ones to my friend and it works for him

and also that the new ram will work for my mobo, thanks to anybody who helps out

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:58 PM

Your RAM will not work in that ASROCK motherboard.  

#11 Rusu

Rusu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:07 PM

Your RAM will not work in that ASROCK motherboard.  

ok thanks, now for the upgrade then should i get 2x4gb or 1x8gb? can i maybe run 2x dual channels if i get 2x4gb?

although i suspect that's not a good way to go since then all my slots will be used and no more room for future upgrades

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:33 AM

8GB of RAM is enough to run your computer quite well.  If you were do work that is resource intensive like video editing I could see where you could use more RAM, but if you're not I would suggest simply living with what you have.  

If you are adamant about adding more RAM, remember that if you are going to add to what you have it will have to be another pair of modules, and they need match the modules you have already installed.  You will find the same modules for sale at the website found here

#13 Rusu

Rusu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:39 AM

thanks a lot dc3, appreciate your help and input

reason i would want more ram is that mine gets around 7gb used if i run more stuff it would definitely help

i do some video editing and rendering but just small youtube stuff, would help with some newer games as well

if i do get the same 2x4gb can i still run dual channel? maybe run each in dual channel?

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:01 AM

if i do get the same 2x4gb can i still run dual channel? maybe run each in dual channel?

That was the point in explaining that you need to use matched modules.

At this point, I think you got this.

Good luck.

#15 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:04 AM

thanks a lot dc3, appreciate your help and input

reason i would want more ram is that mine gets around 7gb used if i run more stuff it would definitely help

i do some video editing and rendering but just small youtube stuff, would help with some newer games as well

No. Dual channel needs at least 2 modules and can work on either 2, 3 or 4 modules. For 2x dual channel, you need quad channel supporting motherboard (that you don't have).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users