Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Proper Way To Backup Windows 10 When It Goes Kaput

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ARNKUSA

ARNKUSA

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:46 PM

Go easy on me here guys. I thought I'd get with the times and update to Windows 10 from a relatively stable Windows 7. It seemed great until things spiraled into chaos and finally ended with a blank screen and a flashing dash. Meaning, I had no way of accessing any recovery utilities (that I know of). This after configuring the setup and installing all of my applications. I had to restart from scratch with Windows 7 Home Premium.

So my question is, what does one do to backup & restore a PC when you can't access any restoration tools, drives, or disks. Furthermore, how do you backup everything to an image so that you have very little downtime. I'd like to make a backup every day and have a way to revert it in case of a disaster. 

The Proper Way To Backup Windows 10 When It Goes Kaput

Is there a way to handle this without physically making recovery discs every day? 

Just a few things about my setup:

I've installed Windows to an SSD drive with Windows. I have another 2TB Seagate HDD. I have two external hard drives I can use to backup an image, but how are these images accessed in the case of a major crash? That's what confuses me. Plus, should these image backups be burned to a bootable DVD? Would it be a matter of taking the image to another computer and burning it to disc and then inserting the disc into the trashed computer? 

What's the best thing to do here? Cause I can't afford the time lost! Appreciate any help or guidance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:50 PM

You can try rolling back:

1. Start your computer

2. When it starts booting, force shut-down

Keep doing this until you see this screen

c5e505c4-9e3c-4af9-8d0b-b984c1885b9c.jpg

Now, let it finish, and if it says it is unable to repair your computer, like this:

37134f84-423c-47dd-99cb-8d4b3337638f.jpg

Then, go to Advanced Options > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > See more recovery options > Go back to previous build.

Let us know if you can't rollback

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 01:54 PM

There are many different tools, but over the years I've found that my favorite is Acronis True Image.
While not free, it does what I want it to - and it comes with the ability to make a recovery disk.

You can back up the entire hard drive, just certain volumes, or even just certain data.

I make several images and store them against a time when the system goes down.

On my latest system, I've got 5 images, to include the Fall Update.  I have yet to make an image for the Anniversary Update (and I updated without making an image of the system prior to the Anniversary Update).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:06 PM

I backed up my computer before the "Windows 10 Upgrade" with Macrium Free Edition. I also use Macrium to do backups of my current Windows 10 installation. I have also had success with Clonezilla.

I prefer backing up with actual imaging software, since it can't be "turned off" (like Windows recovery), and has more features.

#5 ARNKUSA

ARNKUSA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:53 PM

@CKing: No luck, tried all of the advanced options and each & everyone failed and reported an error.

@usasma, I'm not sure I follow what you're saying here. For instance, what are you saving your images to, and what type of file(s)? "I make several images and store them against a time when the system goes down.

On my latest system, I've got 5 images, to include the Fall Update.  I have yet to make an image for the Anniversary Update (and I updated without making an image of the system prior to the Anniversary Update)."

@Gorbulan. Thanks, I'll check  out Macrium

#6 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:54 PM

Well then, lets attempt data recovery then:

Go to Advanced Options > Command Prompt

In Command Prompt, type notepad

Then, go to File > Open

Using a Windows/File Explorer-like window will pop up. Copy over all the important files to a USB or another disk

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:39 AM

I save my images to:

- a Western Digital MyCloud network device

- several external USB drives

All of my images are of the entire hard drive and are saved as .tib files by Acronis

As for data backups, I simply copy over the Public and John profiles (my profile) to an external drive.

Those folders contain nearly all of the data on my system.

Unfortunately, I'm lazy about this and don't do it as often as I should.

I like the free SyncBack program for this, but haven't used it in a long time.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users