Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer wakes up with fan roaring

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nrshap

nrshap

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:26 AM

My computer is about 2.5 years old, the video card is a bit over 1.25 years old, I think.

It works great in general, and has, except when the old video card went out.

I leave it on all the time...it is set to sleep after 2 hours.  Each night, it sleeps, and wakes up in the morning just fine.

EXCEPT: Now, about 2 times in the past two weeks, and several times in the past month or so, it doesn't wake up.  Instead, when I hit a key on the keyboard, a fan inside starts "roaring" fast, like a jet engine.  Normally, the computer is totally quiet while using it (at least I can't hear it sitting under my desk about a foot away from me).  I work it pretty hard and never have had any overheating problem.  

When the problem occurs, I have to hard boot it.  And sometimes, it just does the same thing a few times.  What "seems to help" is turning off all external USB drives (I have two self powered USB3 external JBOD drive boxes each with two drives in it.)

So I turn those off, and then after a try or two, the computer comes on without the fan blaring (and as I mentioned, when the fan is blaring, it doesn't actually boot).

I am wondering if anyone has any idea what this could be?  The video card (I note there's nothing on the video displays at all when it doesn't boot)?  The main power supply?  The motherboard?

I depend on this computer for work, so I'm tempted to replace it, since I usually buy a new one after 2-3 years, but this one's "loaded" and still seems to be quick enough so it seems a waste to replace it.

Specs:

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i7 4930K @ 3.40GHz 38 °C
Ivy Bridge-E 22nm Technology
RAM: 32.0GB DDR3 @ 797MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION 2ACE (SOCKET 0) 41 °C
Graphics:
   DELL3007WFPHC (2560x1600@60Hz)
   P221W (1680x1050@59Hz)
   4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (Unknown) 47 °C

Storage
  447GB SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G (SSD) 31 °C
  3726GB Western Digital WDC WD4001FAEX-00MJRA0 (SATA) 39 °C
  111GB INTEL SSDSA2M120G2GC (SSD)
  5589GB Western Digital WDC WD6001FZWX-00A2VA0 (SATA) 40 °C
  3726GB Western Digital WDC WD4003FZEX-0 USB Device (SSD) 31 °C
  698GB Western Digital WDC WD7500AAKS-0 USB Device (SSD) 31 °C
  5589GB JMicron Disk0 SCSI Disk Device (USB)
  3726GB JMicron Disk1 SCSI Disk Device (USB)

Optical Drives
  PIONEER BD-RW BDR-209D
  hp BDDVDRW CH30L

Audio
  IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:56 AM

Try reseating the RAM. I've run into this problem a few times at work where the computer won't start but the PSU fan will kick into overdrive and go nuts. Take the ram out and blow out the slots with canned air and blow off the ram as well. This may fix the problem.

#3 helpmecomputer

helpmecomputer

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:51 AM

Could you post a video of the sound?

#4 nrshap

nrshap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 02:09 PM

When it happens next, sure.

#5 nrshap

nrshap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:40 AM

It happened again Tuesday morning when I tried to wake it up.  It was fine then for about a week of being on all the time.  I had used it last Monday night at about 1am.  So this is about 6 hours after it "went to sleep" (again, I don't shut it down at night...it is set to suspend after a period of no use).  Here it s:  https://youtu.be/_e_SoCnpXOQ

Note that the clicking you hear throughout that sounds like typing is actually the focus motor on the Canon S100 which was used to shoot the video.  I just pressed a key on the keyboard to wake it up...typing doesn't help :)

Edited by nrshap, 24 August 2016 - 11:42 AM.

#6 helpmecomputer

helpmecomputer

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:51 AM

Holy crap... sounds bad. I hate to make you do things over, but do you have any suspicions as to the fan it may be? It could be case, CPU, GPU or PSU. You replaced your graphics card you said? Is the GT 640 the new one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users