Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cortana: The Spy In Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:13 AM

Interesting article. Thought others would like as well. Seems little by little users are willing to relinquish right to privacy

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3106863/microsoft-windows/cortana-the-spy-in-windows-10.html?ref=yfp.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:18 AM

Personally, I see no need to talk to my computer. I can see this being used on a phone, not so much on a desktop. But, Windows 10 on a phone is virtually non-existent.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:29 AM

Siri, OK Google, Cortana, same cat different breed(read OEM), As long as people are willing to be lazy and let automation and voice command do their bidding. Loss of implied privacy is relinquished. If you don't want to lose the privacy don't sign the EULA and don't use the products. But consumers demand ease of use and want their electronics to do it all. Manufacturer's will continue to create products that perform those tasks. But the AI product can't do it without knowing your needs and wants. No machine can read minds. AI's need to have a template to start the algorithm process to be 'intelligent'.

The age of the all knowing AI knowing your every move and responding to your commands is here to stay. If thats not what you want? Then it's time to find an alternative product that doesn't have the feature hard coded into the OS.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:31 AM

Talking to Cortana sucks anyway. Like Microsoft know what to do with voice activated computers? They are so far behind.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:20 PM

Animal,

Indeed.

The only thing I'd add after your comment about using an alternative product is, "or turn the feature off."  I've had Cortana the Personal Digital Assistant (PDA) turned off since I installed Windows 10 and was monitoring the volume of data going back to Microsoft with the settings done as I'd like them.  It's minimal and the most appears to be system health information.

Although the Cortana PDA is enabled by default (and so is Siri) the instructions in Cortana & Search settings for disabling her and, if you've actually been using her, erasing the electronic history she has for you is laid out pretty clearly.

I'm not going to fault people for valuing convenience over privacy when most of what they want convenience for is not something they (or I, really) consider particularly private.  I don't find Siri or Cortana more convenient for myself than doing things "the old fashioned way" with the keyboard, but I'm also under no illusion that anything I do on my computer that involves touching cyberspace is private.  One of the first things I try to emphasize with people is that you should assume that anything that enters cyberspace is going to be, by default, public information if someone cares to do enough work to get to it.  It really makes me scratch my head when people insist on thinking that e-mail is private when it's semi-private, at best.  Your recipient can broadcast what you send them at will (just like what was done in days of old with letters - same concept, different medium [and speed factor]) and can be hacked.  You'd have to be living under a rock not to have noticed how many things that people thought were private turned out not to be, and some of that presumption was pure stupidity.  I've heard people say things as ridiculous as Facebook are "private."  That kind of cluelessness is beyond remediation.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#6 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:14 PM

Siri, OK Google, Cortana, same cat different breed(read OEM), As long as people are willing to be lazy and let automation and voice command do their bidding. Loss of implied privacy is relinquished. If you don't want to lose the privacy don't sign the EULA and don't use the products. But consumers demand ease of use and want their electronics to do it all. Manufacturer's will continue to create products that perform those tasks. But the AI product can't do it without knowing your needs and wants. No machine can read minds. AI's need to have a template to start the algorithm process to be 'intelligent'.

The age of the all knowing AI knowing your every move and responding to your commands is here to stay. If thats not what you want? Then it's time to find an alternative product that doesn't have the feature hard coded into the OS.

Sadly, this is true. Much can be said for technology but I think Artificial Intelligence has its own place. Three notable individuals made their thoughts known in this article:

http://observer.com/2015/08/stephen-hawking-elon-musk-and-bill-gates-warn-about-artificial-intelligence/

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:42 PM

Adding to post#2:

Sometimes I think that bit in Star Trek IV will come true one day, that bit where Scotty is surprised when the 1980s computer he tries to talk to does not respond to his "Computer..." voice commands.

But the way ms are going it won't be one of their computers that everyone comes to recognise, every time they try and restrict user choices further they loose customers, if this keeps going I strongly suspect that if there ever is a Scotty working on a starship not only will his computers all be linux ones, but there will be no windows computers around at all.

As a note regarding the current situation with cortana, I would think that with either disabling your microphone in the BIOS/UEFI or plugging a 3mm jack (one which should go to a microphone but instead goes to an empty wire) in you can probably prevent any private speech in the vicinity of any of YOUR windows 10 computers being heard. But if you're talking with other people at their offices/homes/... who knows what cortana might be hearing via their computers if they haven't disabled the mic or plugged a 3mm jack in?

Edited by rp88, 16 August 2016 - 02:47 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 04:07 PM

And when it comes to AI, I see they're going to have driverless cars in Pittsburgh very soon.  Personally you won't see me in one of them until after at least 75% of the population has tried them with no incidents for a year. 

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users