Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft is working on a fix for freezing issues with Windows 10 Anniversary Up

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:01 AM

Some users who have installed Windows 10 Anniversary Update on SSDs are experiencing problems with their computers freezing.

Microsoft does not yet have a fix available, but it is aware of the issues and is working to get a patch pushed out to those who have been affected. While there is not a proper fix available at the moment, the company has provided details of a couple of workarounds that should do the job for the time being.

Writing on Windows Answers, a Microsoft administrator said: "Microsoft has received a small number of reports of Windows 10 freezing after installing the Anniversary Update on systems with the operating system stored on a solid-state drive (SSD) and apps and data stored on a separate drive.  This issue does not occur when starting Windows 10 in Safe Mode. If you are experiencing this issue, we will be providing updates to this thread."

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 11:58 AM

That post had close to 500 replies before MS froze the thread on 8/16.  I have two desktops with Windows 10 on SSDs and data on HDDs that haven't had the problem.  Some have speculated that the problem is related to Intel's IRST (Intel Rapid Storage Technology) which I don't have.  IRST is used with RAID and hybird hard drive systems.  Time will tell when and what the fix comprises I suppose.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:09 PM

I have also had no problems so far. I did the anniversary update two weeks ago on both my Laptop and my Desktop. My Desktop has an SSD, the Laptop does not. Both computers are working smooth. 

Becuase the desktop has to run all the technology in my class room, I did clone the drive before the upgrade. 

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 02:32 PM

This is one of the times where it becomes clear what a good idea it was NOT to upgrade to windows 10, and proof of why ms planning to make all updates for windows 7/8.1 into cumulative bundles is so dangerous. If ms had had the sense to give users the ability to pick and choose individual updates to install and reject then those who suffered this could just remove the offending update, or those who thought they would be likely to suffer it could avoid installing that update at all, when updates are fully automated like this the user is dependent on ms to continually keep things working well, we've seen that that doesn't usually go very well.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:33 AM

This is one of the times where it becomes clear what a good idea it was NOT to upgrade to windows 10, and proof of why ms planning to make all updates for windows 7/8.1 into cumulative bundles is so dangerous. If ms had had the sense to give users the ability to pick and choose individual updates to install and reject then those who suffered this could just remove the offending update, or those who thought they would be likely to suffer it could avoid installing that update at all, when updates are fully automated like this the user is dependent on ms to continually keep things working well, we've seen that that doesn't usually go very well.

Microsoft is going to offer security only packages monthly but it will not be made available through Windows Update. The package will need to be downloaded manually through the Microsoft catalog site. Only accessible using IE.

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:16 PM

I don't have any problems with Windows 10 or the Anniversary update after having installed it on 32 PCs.  However that cumulative update idea has good and bad points.  As we know, Windows 10 has had it all along, but MS has announced that starting in October they will go to it with 7 and 8.1 too.  The good news is that fresh installs will not have the hassle of the possible installation of several hundred updates.  But the bad news is that folks with not so fast download speeds are going to have a monthly hassle.  The latest 32 bit cumulative update for Windows 10 is 148 MB.  On a 6 Mbps download connection, that takes 30 min., and I have places to support that have 1.5 Mbps DSL download speeds shared among 7 PCs; I figure that could take around 14 hours (7 x 2 hrs per PC).  We may have to start periodically just bringing the updates in on flash drives after disabling the automatic updates.  Fortunately these places are running the Pro version, so I can delay automatic updates, but it's going to be a definite adjustment.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,873 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:05 PM

Niweg,

If Microsoft is going to make this system applicable to Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 they'll probably also include the "Choose how updates are delivered" setting which allows for PCs on the same network (or PCs on the web, but then there's no gain in speed and possible security issues) to get updates from/share updates to each other.  

I have that setting activated for the Win10 PCs on my network so that we don't have to download updates multiple times but they can be shared around once one of the machines has them.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:07 AM

Post #5, Can you imagine any way that users might be able to cut bits out of the downloaded updates before installation? What about wsus and such, can they be used on home systems? And a site that can only be accessed using IE? IE is a massive security risk.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:28 AM

After October I don't think you will be able to parse out security updates. It will be take all or none via the Catalog site. On Windows Update you will also get important updates along with security updates.

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:34 AM

"On Windows Update you will also get important updates along with security updates." That us utterly unacceptable, we all know what went on with KB3035583 and also the effects that things like those currency symbol change "important" updates have had, there is nothing to stop something similar happening again, but if it does there will be no way to keep secure while avoiding the buggy or nasty update. I'll have to hope I can get linux fully working for me in time.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,873 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:50 AM

@rp88:  Yes, we all know that there are occasional buggy updates.  If this risk, which is very occasional at worst, is completely unacceptable then you are making the right decision to change OSes.

The OS maker gets to decide its maintenance protocol, not end users.  Microsoft has changed its maintenance protocol and it's abundantly clear that they are not going back.  It's tiring to hear the rants as the decisions, on both sides of the equation, are crystal clear.  Make the one that best suits you and move on with life.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:59 AM

And as Niweg posted these will be cumulative updates. Each one larger than the next. Also, the cumulative updates will include all previous important updates you refused to install in the previous months. Personally, I will be visiting the catalog site each month. I don't need important updates regarding the Russian RubleLithuanian currency change, or Egyptian time zone.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,873 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:06 PM

Niweg mentioned that the current cumulative update exists and its current size.   Windows Update has always taken into account whether a given system needs a full cumulative update or not based on querying what has already been installed.

As new versions of Windows 10 appear, just as has been the case in earlier versions of Windows, Windows Update will do an intelligent determination of the system's update state and proceed accordingly.  It has never downloaded a cumulative update, repeatedly, with just one addition when it can tell that the only thing that's needed is that one addition.  Why on earth would anyone think that's changing now?

The only "big updates" that have been applied to my Windows 10 systems are the things like the Anniversary Update.  All other updates dribble in like they always have, and you can easily check update history to confirm that.

~ Mark Twain

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:07 PM

Niweg mentioned that the current cumulative update exists and its current size.   Windows Update has always taken into account whether a given system needs a full cumulative update or not based on querying what has already been installed.

As new versions of Windows 10 appear, just as has been the case in earlier versions of Windows, Windows Update will do an intelligent determination of the system's update state and proceed accordingly.  It has never downloaded a cumulative update, repeatedly, with just one addition when it can tell that the only thing that's needed is that one addition.  Why on earth would anyone think that's changing now?

The only "big updates" that have been applied to my Windows 10 systems are the things like the Anniversary Update.  All other updates dribble in like they always have, and you can easily check update history to confirm that.

Thanks for the clarification Brian. 

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,873 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:12 PM

John,

You're quite welcome.   I have seen nothing that suggests anything other than *if* one reinstalls a base Windows 10 using what is now an ancient ISO that the way that Windows Update will update that installation is to see if there exists a cumulative update that is necessary before the next version update can be applied.  If it is, then that cumulative update will be downloaded and applied, if it isn't and the net effect is included for a version update, the version update will be downloaded and applied.  Lather, rinse, repeat if one started with the earliest edition of Windows 10 as the baseline installation.

If anyone can point me to any documentation from Microsoft that indicates otherwise I'd love to see it.

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users