Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

7 reasons Windows XP refuses to die

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:58 AM

IT'S NOW OVER TWO YEARS since Microsoft stopped supporting Windows XP, yet organisations of all shapes and sizes continue to use the platform.

Just last week week it was revealed that a whopping 27,000 Metropolitan Police Service machines still run XP, despite the force actively trying to move off the operating system.

Moreover, data from Netmarketshare shows that Windows XP still has a 10 per cent share of the desktop operating system market. This is crazy for an OS that was launched in October 2001.

Article

Edited by hamluis, 19 August 2016 - 10:59 AM.
Moved from Gen Chat to XP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:55 AM

Although I have always upgraded my OS's, I still prefer xp.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 02:52 PM

I have encountered more systems with happy  users and WINXP than any other group.  Most disgruntled group are the OS upgrade ones, whatever version UP to the newest version..  Seems something always goes awry.  The printer stops working or the video driver isn't quite right.  It has perpetuated today with Microsoft finally issuing a set of minimum hardware requirements for WINX.  Upwardly compatible, not in M$ vocabulary, don't look for it in their OS either.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,912 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:34 PM

I was a relatively early adapter of Win 7, only two years after RTM. Forget Vista, I never had it and I have spent the last year avoiding 10.

XP SP3 was an excellent, robust and stable OS, it just worked. And I am sure that this is the main reason that so many people are still using it. For businesses it is slightly different. Many are running code optimised for XP and you have to consider the cost of porting some of this to run on 7, 8.1 or 10. For a computer routinely connected to the internet XP poses real security risks. But for a system where they do not connect to the external internet then perhaps there are cost justifications for keeping them as long as possible.

It's not just the British Bobbies. The last I heard HMRC ( the UK's IRS) were still operating a big fleet of XP machines.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:54 AM

One of my machines still runs Windows XP, and I've no plans to change that in the forseable future.

There are a lot of older machines out there that won't run newer versions of Windows anywhere near as nicely. Open source alternatives may not be viable depending on what the user wants to do with the machine. Even if they are, the user may not be comfortable switching. Until these machines die out, XP will retain a decent market share. At least that's what I think. Given that Windows XP is vulnerable, I'm not sure it's a good thing. There is nothing wrong with running a vulernable OS, so long as you don't ignore the fact, but I suspect many people still running XP are.

#6 ElsieVan

ElsieVan

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:49 AM

i ll prefer Window 7

#7 Tripster

Tripster

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 06:32 PM

I have 2 pc's with XP and am very happy and content to continue. There's plenty of utility downloads to help keep the registry cleaned, great defrag utilities much better than XP's defragger, and junk removal programs available. Yes there are a few weird errors now & then but I can live with them. My only complaint is there's software out there incompatible with XP, especially some of the good Virus programs such as McAfee. I have it & it runs okay, but McAfee doesn't support it if its on an XP machine.

I have no intention of switching from the XP OS until my pc's "blow up"

My best to all XP's.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:21 PM

Old habits are hard to break...and Windows XP has been around far longer than some of us have come to know that a keyboard was something other than part of a piano :).

I dual-boot XP and Win 7...I like each, but I'm still comfortable running XP.  XP's biggest pronounced liability is its vulnerability to malware...I find that is actually not something that any concientious person who formerly had adequate security in place...will not suddenly find his system compromised/neutralized by a plethora of malware.  But...that person will find that AV support for XP has dwindled...and website for XP and IE8...just don't exist anymore :).  Additionally...those users who run Java will find that there is a disclaimer from the developers of Java for all XP systems...basically, it's a "we don't guarantee this software to work as it should."  That's not a big item for me, but for those who constantly seem to find malware on their systems, it should be a consideration.

XP's time is over...it's an old girlfriend from when I was a teen, a foolish boy with lots of erroneous ideas.  That girl is now a different woman, not as attractive to an older, wiser man, a man that sees the future as something other than a mere continuation of what yesterday was.

If I did not frequent the forum for XP...I would delete it's partition tomorrow :).  My new girl..correction...my woman...is something called Win 7 and next year it just might be Win 10.  Time changes us all...sometimes for the better.

Louis

#9 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,065 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:56 PM

yes, much like a champion NFL quarterback. some of them last a long time and really don't want to retire and have to be shown the proof a few times that it is time to retire.... but there comes a time...to quote  the Champ Troy Aikman...."My will was in it 100%, but my body just wasn't getting it done"

there will come a time when XP just can't get it done anymore, even if the XP users will is in it 100%

But XP will always be the fine wine aged to perfection, through the travails of win 9x , ME and 2000 it emerged and lasted for a good long time.

Edited by synergy513, 19 August 2016 - 09:59 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#10 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 03:46 PM

When XP went EOL I said to myself, 'That's it. 13 years is long enough. Time to try summat else.'

I was fed up with Microsoft anyway, and never had any special pressing need to run a Windows system; for my needs, I thought Linux would do nicely. I deleted Win XP, and switched literally overnight.

So began my travels through the uncharted waters of the Linux ecosystem. I tried out many, but there was always something about each one that wasn't quite right. Until I discovered Puppy.....and I just knew I'd 'come home.'

Even here, though, there was one thing that wouldn't work. Skype. (Because M$, having bought out Skype, were going out of their way to make it 'hard work' for Linux users to make video calls.) So; because of the need to keep in touch with relatives in foreign parts, I had to re-install, and keep an old copy of XP hanging around, for this one app.

Until now. Dedicated members of the Puppy community, between them, have finally found a way to make it work in my favourite OS. PulseAudio was the culprit; it's not a normal item for Puppy to possess. Hitherto, it's always been ALSA.

Much as I like(d) XP,  its time has passed.....and its security these days is, I'm sorry to say, a joke. I shall, however, always have a soft spot for it, and will retain fond memories of our time together. As of two days ago, my XP partition is no more (again!).....and the install disc has, this time, gone through the shredder.

It is possible to have too much of a good thing. Indigestion is not a pleasant companion.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Tripster:-

There are still good AV suites out there available for XP. Comodo, for example.

https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/security-software.php

I've used it for several years, and have never had any complaints with it, or from it. It's still (and always has been) totally free to download. Just make sure to keep your wits about you when working your way through the installer.....there's many a pitfall for the unwary, in the shape of adware, junkware, etc. And don't, whatever you do, let Comodo re-route your 'net traffic through their 'secure' DNS servers. Your system will slow down to a pace below even that of a snail..!

The same goes for 'Chromodo'.....their security-enhanced version of Chrome.  I don't know what they've done to it, but it doesn't agree with my system. It takes literally forever to connect.

And don't forget to disable the advertising pop-ups through the 'Advanced Settings.....' Persistent little beggars, they are. Annoying, too!

Aside from those few niggles, updates (and upgrades) take place smoothly, and are totally fuss-free.....almost boringly so. Comodo still have no plans to cease supporting XP anytime soon, so I understand. It runs quietly & un-obtrusively in the background, once set-up properly, and is extremely efficient. It's really very good. I for one highly recommend it.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 21 August 2016 - 04:04 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 07:09 PM

It's not allowed to post the steps at BC but I used the registry hack to make the computer look like a POSReady system.

So far I have never had an update go bad and that has been going on for over two years with security updates being offered every month. I'm surprised Microsoft hasn't done anything to stop it. 

If a person takes the time to lock down the system with SRPEMET, and a good firewall,  XP Pro can be made pretty secure. It's not the computer as much as the person in front of it that malware finds it's way onto a computer. In other words, don't go blindly clicking email attachments from Uncle Bill or some unknown person.

With all the above being said, I still would not use XP for any banking or online purchasing. 

Good SRP default deny article.

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 August 2016 - 07:11 PM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:56 AM

To be honest...I don't think that XP/IE 8 is acceptable in 2016 at any websites of a fiscal or customer orientation.  I use Firefox for such (within XP) and there is no problem.  The weakest security link of XP (outside that of the user) is the native Windows browser...and I would venture to say that the greatest percentage of websites have nullified that area of concern by not welcoming IE8 on its website.

To be honest...there is no reason for anyone using XP today...to use IE for anything.  The chief value of IE formerly was in procurement of critical updates.  Since there really are no critical updates for XP today (I don't count the Malicious Software Tool, which can independently downloaded), the use of an accepted browser within XP works without flaw for any financial transactions, including online purchases (website security provides the protection).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 21 August 2016 - 10:57 AM.

#13 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:05 AM

It's not allowed to post the steps at BC but I used the registry haunted ck to make the computer look like a POSReady system.

So far I have never had an update go bad and that has been going on for over two years with security updates being offered every month. I'm surprised Microsoft hasn't done anything to stop it. 

If a person takes the time to lock down the system with SRPEMET, and a good firewall,  XP Pro can be made pretty secure. It's not the computer as much as the person in front of it that malware finds it's way onto a computer. In other words, don't go blindly clicking email attachments from Uncle Bill or some unknown person.

With all the above being said, I still would not use XP for any banking or online purchasing. 

Good SRP default deny article.

You have to be quite an experienced user to be able to configure SRP. Even then, it's still hell. That's why I use Simple Software-Restriction Policy. The name says it, it's very simple to use. Right out of the box, the settings are fine for most users.

Edited by Phantom010, 31 August 2016 - 09:29 AM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:30 AM

You have to be quite an experienced user to be able to configure SRP. Even then, it's still hell. That's why I use Simple Software-Restriction Policy. The name says it, it's very simple to use. Right out of the box, the settings are fine for most users.

Nice. Thanks for the link.

#15 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:35 AM

You're welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users