Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe Crashes, Run Crashes

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kasai

Kasai

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 11:44 PM

When I boot my computer up, then explorer.exe immediately crashes. When I use task manager to try to run explorer.exe, the moment I click "New Process" task manager stops responding, freezes, and eventually closes. I also tried running window's in safe mode(my desktop icons weren't there, I'm not sure if that's supposed to be like that in safe mode) and using cmd to open explorer.exe. Explorer.exe runs and opens, cmd does not crash, but the task bar is frozen. When this problem first occurred, I was ending unnecessary processes with task manager, and I accidentally ended a system process. I do not remember what process it was sadly, or else I would try running it again with cmd in safe mode. I tried reboot many times, but it still doesn't work. Please solve my problem soon. Thank you.

P.S. If you need any more information about my problem, post here and I'll try to provide you with what you ask for, if it's in my ability.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:02 AM

If you know exactly when the problem began you can use Windows System Restore to revert your system state to a date that preceeded the problem.

To start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449/

#3 Kasai

Kasai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:06 AM

Thank you very much! I'm going to try this right now.

Edit: I got this weird error with rstrui.exe, but then system restore continued anyways. Thank you again! I'm glad I found this website.

Edit#2: I got these weird errors, but then they keep disappearing, most of them had errors about the system processes, like userinit.exe and others that disappeared :thumbsup:. I'm going to try this with an earlier date.

P.S. User Init.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "(some long letters and stuffz)" referenced memory at "(some different long letters and stuffz)". The data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of "(some more different long letters and stuffz)". Click OK to terminate the program.

It keeps doing this with many processes including rstrui.exe. Replace the Userinit.exe with rstrui.exe, and the stuff in the quotes are probably different.
I'll get the ones in the parantheses if you need them, if restoring to an earlier date still doesn't work.

I tried it a second time and it didn't work, it keeps opening that window where it has the explorer.exe has encountered a problem and has to shut down, with the send error report or don't send. And my task manager can't use run, and if I use command prompt in safe mode to run it, it just crashes again.

Third times the charm... But it didn't' work still. What could this problem be?! I'm sure I ended some weird process in the task manager, probably a system one or something, and then it started not working. If I reboot, it still won't work. What process could be ended in task manager, and then not run on reboot. If I could figure out what process it was, then maybe I can run it through command prompt, but the problem is I dunno what it is.

Edited by Kasai, 16 August 2006 - 01:00 PM.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:46 AM

Do you have a Windows XP installation disk?

#5 Kasai

Kasai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 12:04 PM

No, supposedly my computer has the system restore or installation disk "built in", and it doesn't work :thumbsup:
Theres this screen that says, f10 = system restore, esc = setup, and i think it was uhhhh i forget, but i tap f10 and nuttin happens.

P.S. (irrelevant) Can I bump topics? Every forum has its own rules, and I'm still new to this one.

Edited by Kasai, 16 August 2006 - 03:19 PM.

#6 Kasai

Kasai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:54 PM

*Bump*

#7 Kasai

Kasai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 04:39 PM

*Bump*

#8 Kasai

Kasai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:00 PM

*Bump*

Edit: I guess nobody that can fix my problem is on recently... :thumbsup:

Edited by Kasai, 17 August 2006 - 07:11 PM.

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,722 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:56 PM

Perhaps this topic can shed some light on the topic.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:36 AM

Well, the problem obviously stems from one of the system processes you terminated.

Why were you doing that anyway?

If the command prompts do not work in safe mode with command prompt, and you do not have a Windows XP installation disk which would enable you to open the repair console or do a repair installation, the only fix I can see for this is to contact support at the manufacturer of the computer and buy a restore disk set (which you were supposed to make when the computer was new) or a Windows XP installation disk to reinstall Windows.

One other thing you can try is to just pull the plug on the computer and possibly when you try to reboot it it will load the last known good configuration and reverse your abort of the system process.
Usually this is not a good thing to do, but since your op system is not booting anyway, and you do not have the tools necessary to fix it, it might be worth a try.

Edited by Enthusiast, 18 August 2006 - 08:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users