Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC will not display on monitors, but seems to boot?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Willabong

Willabong

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:50 AM

Wise Care auto clean  has somehow messed up my boot record (got a message from Windows on trying to reboot), so restarted again. The end result is that the PC does not recognize my Windows 10 monitors (No Signal). I have tried starting from my Windows 10 disk, but I have no way of knowing if anything is being displayed because my monitors are not receiving a signal?

The PC is just over a year old, six core running at 3600 mhz, with 32 gig of ram and dual 27" monitors.

I am leaning toward a graphics card failure, but why that should happen with a boot record fail I have no idea?

Any advice or help would be appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:46 AM

My guess is Wise Care has screwed your registry, you may be able to roll the system back to an earlier date in safe mode not sure.  Wait for more input from others!!!!

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:04 AM

Unplug monitor and all other peripherals from machine. Hold in power button for 20 seconds.

Plug things back in and give it a try now.

If still no joy does the monitor work on another machine? (or a different monitor work on your machine)

#4 Willabong

Willabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 12:40 PM

Tried the 20 second reset but no success?

I have 2 monitors and both are working (Less than 3 months old).

No signal is getting to the monitors, both monitors give that error message.

The computer starts up, all the blue display lights inside the tower are working (so the power supply is OK), the fans are running, and I think I can hear hard drive activity..........But no display at the monitors?

I do have a brand new graphics card the same make and model as the one in the PC, so I will swap it and see if that works? 

I even tried booting from the Windows 10 OS disk, but can't tell if anything is happening because of no display?

Edited by Willabong, 15 August 2016 - 02:19 PM.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:26 PM

It is obvious WC caused the issue, it is not a hardware/monitor issue.  Try my suggestion see if you can get into safe mode, you may be able to fix things in there.  Personally hate registry cleaners having had to do a complete reinstall awhile back. no one with PC knowledge recommends using them as many times they mess up rather then fix the registry.

#6 Willabong

Willabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 02:17 PM

OldPhil, while I agree with you about WiseCare (I was an idiot for trying it), please note that I cannot get into Safe Mode because I cannot see anything on my monitors, so I wouldn't know if I was in Safe Mode or not!

I think my master boot record may be ruined, and I also think (don't ask me how because I don't know) my graphics card may be dead? This is why I need advice!

Edited by Willabong, 15 August 2016 - 02:18 PM.

#7 Willabong

Willabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 02:44 PM

I have a dual bios on this PC, so I tried pressing the button to repair the BIOS, and I was able to do this, and the monitors work perfectly so does the display (graphics card). but I still cannot boot the PC, I got an error message saying I needed to restart the PC because the boot device cannot be recognized, and my monitors are still not getting a signal?

So the PC is not booting even from my W10 OS disk?

Edited by Willabong, 15 August 2016 - 03:02 PM.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 02:45 PM

The issue is hardware fault if monitor wont show any image even computer manufacturer or BIOS manufacturer logo then issue cause by faulty competent.

Please follow below steps to troubleshoot this issue.

Step 1:

Try different cable and video port connections.

Step 2:

Connect computer to a different monitor or television set if there is still no image then follow step 3.

Step 3:

Take out graphic card and connect monitor to motherboard VGA port if there is still no image then follow step 4.

Step 4:

One of the the RAM module could be not working if there is more then one RAM module connect them to each slot one at time to test if issue has been resolved.

Edited by FreeBooter, 15 August 2016 - 02:46 PM.

2GvnEq2.gif

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 02:46 PM

I have a dual bios on this PC, so I tried pressing the button to repair the BIOS, and I was able to do this, and the monitors work perfectly so does the display (graphics card). but I still cannot boot the PC, I got an error message saying I needed to restart the PC because the boot device cannot be recognized, and my monitors are still not getting a signal?

Can you boot your computer with Windows 10 Setup Media?

2GvnEq2.gif

#10 Willabong

Willabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 03:16 PM

FreeBooter, please explain Windows 10 Setup Media? I downloaded a full version of Windows 10 with Threshold 2 64 bit some months ago, and installed W10 from it, but I cannot boot from it now.

My monitors and cables are working as I have managed to display a repair BIOS screen since the problem started, but this is the only screen I have been able to display. I still cannot go anywhere else, and a restart shows no signal to the monitors again?

I have tested my 4 strips of ram by removing them one at a time and trying to boot with no success?

​I can change the graphics card if needed..... But the boot record has probably been destroyed by WiseCare, and I think that is where my problem lies? = No boot record = No boot! 

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:05 PM

Try FreeBooter's step #4 he beat me to suggesting it, VGA will work when other drivers are bad.

Edit if you hear it booting it probably is!

Edited by OldPhil, 15 August 2016 - 07:06 PM.

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:31 PM

FreeBooter, please explain Windows 10 Setup Media? I downloaded a full version of Windows 10 with Threshold 2 64 bit some months ago, and installed W10 from it, but I cannot boot from it now.

My monitors and cables are working as I have managed to display a repair BIOS screen since the problem started, but this is the only screen I have been able to display. I still cannot go anywhere else, and a restart shows no signal to the monitors again?

I have tested my 4 strips of ram by removing them one at a time and trying to boot with no success?

​I can change the graphics card if needed..... But the boot record has probably been destroyed by WiseCare, and I think that is where my problem lies? = No boot record = No boot! 

You said Repair BIOS Screen displayed on monitor screen if anything displayed on monitor then we know its not hardware what is puzzling is you were saying nothing was showing on Monitor screen so where have you so the No boot record  or No boot Device error message.

You will not able to boot your computer with Windows 10 Setup DVD  or USB flash drive if you have not set Windows 10 Setup Media as first boot device within BIOS setup utility but you are saying there is no image on the monitor screen so booting from Windows Setup Media is not a option.

2GvnEq2.gif

#13 Willabong

Willabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:21 AM

In post 7 above I said that I managed to get the dual BIOS screen up and running, and my monitors were displaying correctly. but I could not get to the full BIOS from there,, or to any other part of my system.

The only option I had was to reboot (with the error message that my master boot record was inaccessible?)

After the reboot and a restart, I still get no signal on my monitors.

So my problem in a nutshell is:   I cannot boot because the master boot record seems to be ruined... I may also have a corrupt BIOS?

I need to be able to either repair these or find a way to restore/reinstall Windows?

#14 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:38 AM

DualBIOS feature is two physical BIOS ROMS mounted onto the motherboard. One chip acts as your "Main" BIOS, or the BIOS your system primarily uses during boot up. The second chip acts as a "Backup" BIOS and has the factory default BIOS version on it. If your "Main" BIOS happens to fail or stops functioning, the "Backup" will automatically take over on your next system boot with little or no down time. This process is completely automatic. When you discover you have a problem, all you need to do is shut the system down and then boot up again. The GIGABYTE DualBIOS does the rest. When there is a BIOS firmware failure detected, the "Backup" BIOS will first recover the "Main" BIOS file back to its factory default BIOS version, and everything is back to normal again. If the BIOS failure is due to actual hardware damage, the Backup BIOS will take over and function as the Main BIOS. Any sort of event that causes the "Main" BIOS chip to fail, whether it is a virus attacking your system, or a user incorrectly flashing the BIOS, the "Backup" kicks in and gets your system up and running automatically.

Reset BIOS settings by either taking out CMOS battery for around 30 minutes or use CMOS reset jumper on the motherboard.

After resetting the BIOS settings to its factory default settings boot your computer normally and report if issue has not been resolved.

2GvnEq2.gif

#15 Willabong

Willabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:24 AM

Thanks FreeBooter I'll try that and get back to you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users