Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Annoying pop up when running a windows search 'AA AA'

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 wigl301

wigl301

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 03:47 AM

Hi Guys,

I wondered if anyone could make a suggestion as to how I might fix this problem?

When I run a windows search from Quick Access I have the below box pop up.

I've tried running CCleaner and checking for viruses and malware but not found anything.

I've also tried google searching the error - but believe it or not, searching 'AA AA box' in google doesn't find much!

If I click on 'OK' then the search completes successfully.

Any ideas?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:40 AM

Windows Explorer has a search box so you must be using that as of Quick Access does not have search feature.
Download and run Process Explorer  as administrator and from the menu bar click and drag "Find Window's Process" icon to that dialog box which has a AA AA text when you Find Window's Process" icon drag this icon and release over that dialog box it will highlight which process this dialog box belong to if its Window Explorer (Explorer.exe) then Rebuild search indexing.  If the dialog box belong to any other process then if its application uninstall it.

2016-08-15%2014_33_01-Process%20Explorer

Posted Image

#3 wigl301

wigl301
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:07 AM

Hey Freebooter - thanks very much for taking the time to reply :) much appreciated.

I did as you suggested and indeed it is an explorer issue. I will try rebuilding but I've done this several times on this laptop and the problem has remained. Trying once again to complete your troubleshoot - will let you know if it's still there.

#4 wigl301

wigl301
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:14 AM

The last few times I clicked 'rebuild' and it 'rebuilt' almost instantly. This time there was a pause and now it has started indexing from scatch - so fingers crossed!

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:39 AM

Keep us up to date with result also tell us what happens when you search from Start Menu search box.

Posted Image

#6 wigl301

wigl301
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:02 AM

Indexing hasn't finished but the problem is still there I'm afraid.

It only seems to happen when searching from quick access and not from when I search by clicking start and searching in that box.

Any other suggestions? :)

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:15 AM

You mean it only happens with when you search from File Explorer search box.

2016-08-15%2017_09_36-This%20PC_zps6awqj

Open Control Panel --> Troubleshooting --> System and Security --> Search and Indexing.

As you can see from above screenshot the search box has text Search This PC does the issue happen if you search all folders at C: partition or if you start a search from a single folder.

Posted Image

#8 wigl301

wigl301
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:20 AM

running searches from the box pointed in your printscreen anywhere on the computer brings up the AA box.

I've tried running the troubleshooting and I'm afraid this doesn't work - it asks me to type in the error I am facing which of course is impossible and these tools are only designed to fix simple 'user error' problems most of the time.

Is there a way to uninstall and reinstall windows search entirely?

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:35 AM

The troubleshooting tool ask you select what is to problem you are having with search results.

2016-08-15%2017_29_49-Search%20and%20Ind

I want you to run below batch scripts as a administrators.

Attached File  Clear_Temp.bat   5.94KB   15 downloads

Attached File  RestoreWindowsServices.bat   34.79KB   279 downloads

Open Command Prompt as a administrator by pressing  Win + X, and then press A letter key.

Run below command from Command Prompt that is open as administrator.

Sfc  /Scannow

You would use DISM to fix Windows component store corruption when a sfc /scannow command is unable to repair corrupted or modified system files because the component store (source) is corrupted.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC should be able to repair the files afterwards. Execute below command to make sure corrupted system files repaired.

Sfc  /Scannow

Clean Boot

If the  error is caused by a current running process, restart your Windows system using the clean boot method will allow you to troubleshoot if a current service or process is causing the error to appear.

With a clean boot only the necessary services and process that are required to operate Windows are started when you boot your computer.

Follow these steps:

• Start Windows

• Open Run dialog box by pressing  7W6b39o.png   keys.

• Type msconfig and press Enter key

• Go to General tab > check Selective Startup option

• Uncheck the Load startup items check box

• Go to Services tab

• Check Hide all Microsoft services check box from the bottom left corner of the window

• Click Disable all

• Click OK

• Restart Windows

To reset these changes and start your Windows normally, follow the same steps:

• Go to the General tab

• Check the Normal Startup option

• Click OK

• Restart

Posted Image

#10 wigl301

wigl301
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:13 AM

OK so I left my laptop indexing overnight. Today when I type something into the quick search box that is in the main section of my laptop it immediately says 'no items match your search'.

I do not get the AA box.

If I search for something not in the main section of my laptop, such as a music file name it finds it without a problem.

The main section of my laptop (work) is stored is stored on my google drive. The rest such as music and pictures are not. It seems that the music and pictures can be found but anything on google drive cannot.

If I click start > documents and search > no items found.

If I click start > music and search > finds it no problem.

I have checked the search indexing options and google drive is definitely ticked to be indexed and it says that indexing is complete.

^^the above is all using the quick search box^^

If I click start and type a music file name into the search bar it finds it without a problem.

If I click start and search a file which is on google drive it doesn't find it.

If I click start and search a clients name it doesn't find their file on google drive but it does find their emails in my outlook. If I click on one of the emails I get the error message attached (error 1)

I will start trying some of your suggestions above.

Attached Files

#11 wigl301

wigl301
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:50 AM

sfc scannow found no integrety violations. Now trying your other step (selective startup)

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:17 AM

I files store on google drive and i have same result there is no search result for any file stored in google drive folder even do is indexed.

Posted Image

#13 wigl301

wigl301
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:12 AM

Man this is weird.

If I click View > Options > search tab and tick 'Don't use the index when searching in file folders for system files' - the search works again but the AA box returns!

#14 wigl301

wigl301
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:15 AM

just trying this.... http://superuser.com/questions/485719/windows-7-index-search-does-not-work-in-google-drive-folder

#15 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:20 AM

Don't play with permissions of the Google Drive folder.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users