Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Buying A New Desktop For General Home Use

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rileytweak1031

rileytweak1031

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 12:27 AM

Looking to upgrade my old Gateway system. Not looking for a gaming computer, and don't want to spend the time to get all the parts to build a new one.

Would like
- at least 8GB RAM, but am leaning towards 12GB

- 2 TB hard drive

- at least 3.00 ghz processor

- lots of USB ports, CD-DVD reader/writer

- HDMI port or similar yo connect my flat screen for streaming video

- a way to connect my speakers and subwoofer, we play music a lot

Laptop or Desktop? Desktop

My budget for the new computer is: About 400 for tower, another $200 for a monitor and printer

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?

All general duties, web browsing, Open Office, mail, simple game playing (like HOG games, Plants vs. Zombies, etc), desktop publishing, low-level coding, low-level graphic design, YouTube, streaming services like Hulu or Netflix, lots of music listening and to movies from an external hard drive or CD-DVD drive, some CD or DVD burning, flash drives used a lot, antivirus & other needed protective safety software

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Unsure of specific programs besides Photoshop, Open Office, basic Windows programs, Antivirus, etc. Nothing new or resource hungry that requires more than an up to date computer.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? Yes, but nothing graphic intensive or that needs a super fast processor/RAM. Mostly hidden object games and a few others online. Do not need a big gaming computer.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? Usually have a few, typically the web (3 or 4 tabs) is going and music in background playing. Or playing a game with my own music playing at the same time. Graphic and coding work usually done without other stuff going.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? YES, lots of storage space needed

Will you be overclocking? Probably will not

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? Used to be a Tiger Direct superfan, so there, NewEgg, Best But for a brick & mortar store

How many monitors are you planning to use? Just 1

Do you need peripherals? OS? I'll take whatever OS comes with it. I need to upgrade my monitor and get a new printer.

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? My current system is 8 years old, I need something newer.

Thank you for reading
\m/
Mel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:39 AM

GHZ does not shows the total quality of processor. I recommend you to buy ssd. Other parts is your choice. What about graphic card?
To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#3 rileytweak1031

rileytweak1031
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:36 AM

I have no need for a big fancy graphics card, won't use the computer for any hardcore gaming. Just watching movies, YouTube.

I've had Intel and AMD processors, both have worked fine for me. I'm not familiar with the new ones at all, the quad cores, etc.

I don't know what other parts I didn't spec, let me know if I missed something.

Do not want to build a new pc at all.

Thanks for reading,
\m/
Mel

#4 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:11 AM

I have no need for a big fancy graphics card, won't use the computer for any hardcore gaming. Just watching movies, YouTube.
I've had Intel and AMD processors, both have worked fine for me. I'm not familiar with the new ones at all, the quad cores, etc.
I don't know what other parts I didn't spec, let me know if I missed something.
Do not want to build a new pc at all.
Thanks for reading,
\m/
Mel

Well if that is so then i recommend you to buy MSI h81-p33 motherboard, 8Gb Ram, Intel core i5 4430 3.0ghz, Nvidia geforce gt 640. Other parts you choice.
To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:39 PM

I suggest taking a look at the systems offered by Amazon...and then narrow your focus as to what system you would be content with.  I favor Amazon for the greatest number of opportunities when it comes to reviewing/acquiring systems or parts.

Since you are not a gamer...don't waste time/money on a system designed to appeal to a gamer.

Since you have no special requirements/wants...don't let such become a point of concern re the system.

IMO...going from 8GB to 12GB...is not really going to yield any noticeable result.  If you check your current RAM usage at any time...you will see that 8GB of RAM leaves plenty in reserve/unused...unless you are a gamer or running overly burdensome programs, have a malware problem, and so on.

Louis

#6 rileytweak1031

rileytweak1031
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 07:22 AM

Thank you for your advice, Louis. I checked Amazon but nothing seemed to jump out at me, though I might've missed something.

However on Best Buy I found a couple:

1. HP - Pavilion Desktop - Intel Core i7 - 8GB Memory - 2TB Hard Drive - HP finish in twinkle black

Link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pavilion-desktop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-2tb-hard-drive-hp-finish-in-twinkle-black/5481602.p?id=bb5481602&skuId=5481602

Sale price: $499.99 - it's marked $400 off

I've never owned an HP, but my first pc was a 1996 Compaq I hated. I've always had Gateways, so I'm not sure how these newer HP models perform.

The cost of this is over my original budget but I got about $100 leeway I can play with since I was given a fairly decent printer, and have a nice set if speakers w/subwoofer. It's almost half price and has a lot of what I'm looking for. I'm the type to stick with one system until it's horribly outdated and/or dies.

The one thing off the bat that's bothersome to me is the disc drive being sideways. I've seen quite a few that don't perform right with that orientation but I wouldn't completely rule the pc out based on that. There are no reviews on the BB site and I haven't been able to look for reviews on the net since I just spotted it about an hour ago.

Also Best Buy is pushing this monitor with the above-mentioned tower for about $149.99, though you can buy just the monitor for that price.

HP 27" IPS LED HD Monitor - Natural Silver

Price: $149.99 ($100 off)

Link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-27-ips-led-hd-monitor-natural-silver/5029800.p?id=bb5029800&skuId=5029800

That's a lot more monitor than I need; I was looking in the 21"-25" sizes, but I'm not gonna complain about a big monitor. $100 off isn't bad either.

2. Lenovo - Desktop AMD A10-Series - 12GB Memory - 2TB Hard Drive - Black

Link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-desktop-amd-a10-series-12gb-memory-2tb-hard-drive-black/4362103.p?id=1219736628126&skuId=4362103

Price: $499.99, open box $439.99

This is one I found weeks ago but didn't have a clue what to look for, I just based it off the basic things I know from in the past to look for. I've learned quite a bit about processors and hard drive types now since then though. I don't think it's a bad one, and when I found it they had it marked down another $50 -$100, even lower for a Geek Squad certified refurb and open box, which grabbed my attention. I dont know anything about Lenovo computers at all.

I don't have a problem with a refurbished or open box model as long as I get some kind of warranty. I'm just overwhelmed at what all's out there, and I'm seriously glad I'm not looking for a laptop - they seen to have bred like rabbits.

Anyway sorry for the tl;dr but I won't feel 100% confident without some advice from the pros. Thanks for reading 😊

\m/
Mel

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:47 PM

With computers...and many other things, if not all things...beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The expansive number of models offered when considering a system...is definitely a pain for those with no specific idea.  But, IMO, the smart thing to do is to sift through the options...and realize that personal recommendations are reflections of the individual tastes of human beings...nothing more, nothing less.  There are no "experts" when it comes to buying a PC...personal computer...unless the purchase is for self.

I believe that the purpose of this particular forum...is to help members decide what choices are important to them...not to make specific suggestions that tell a person how to spend their own monies.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 August 2016 - 05:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users