Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD Athlon x64 3800+ Upgrade Questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 speedracer0626

speedracer0626

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 14 August 2016 - 11:38 PM

So i have a trooper that just wont quit. It's a Dell E521 and I plan on throwing a 6000+ 89w I found on Fleabay. Plug and play, Correct? I understand I need to make sure that my bios is up to date, anything else? Drivers? I'm still running Windows XP Pro SP3, it's just a movie, CADD, and word processing machine. Also what PS should i look for as I'm going to be needing more juice than 300 watts can supply, that has reared it's head after my HDMI card I've installed. Thank you people's, Jeff.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 03:09 AM

Update BIOS first, then according to user experiences 6000+ should work, if it's 89W part.

You may install AMD dual core optimizer. Also it's possible that Windows is using Uniprocessor HAL (don't automatically switch to Multiprocessor HAL) but if that happens, you'll notice it after new CPU is installed.

Standard ATX PSU should fit so you have endless possibilities. What shop are you planning to use?

#3 speedracer0626

speedracer0626
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:35 AM

Thermaltake, and Corsair are the two companies I prefer. Full mod 500-600 watt. I read the post you made in regards to AMD vs the I5 and 7, about the computer build. I have a rack case that needs new internals, so I might be building a new AMD. Not any time here soon though.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:10 AM

Corsair offering would be http://pcpartpicker.com/product/3zNypg/corsair-power-supply-cp9020090na

But this is better http://pcpartpicker.com/product/qYTrxr/evga-power-supply-220g20550y1

#5 speedracer0626

speedracer0626
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:34 AM

Thank you Drillingmachine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users