Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to configure RAID0 on my MacBook Pro mid 2012 (SSD+HDD)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 azisel

azisel

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 14 August 2016 - 11:05 PM

I have 1xSamsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB and 1xApple HDD 500GB (this HDD originally came with my macbook pro when I bought it).

2mgv94y.png

How do I configure RAID0? I went to disk utility and there is no tab for RAID. Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:29 AM

RAID0 is to lay the data across two identical drives in stripes so each drive is handling only half the data transactions, with corresponding performance improvement. It's appropriate that it is not offered for such disparate drives, if it could be done the HDD would just massively slow the SSD. Even with 2 SSDs, a good SSD is already so much faster than a platter HDD that RAID is hardly justified, and with RAID0 there's no redundancy so if one drive fails, the contents of both drives is lost.

Edited by Platypus, 15 August 2016 - 01:30 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:03 AM

Plus, even ignoring the excellent points that Platypus mentions, Apple has dropped support of AppleRAID (at least within Disk Utility...you can apparently still setup RAID 0 or RAID 1 in the Terminal) in El Capitan (aka Mac OS 10.11.x).

http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2015/20151008_1222-SoftRAID-vs-DiskUtility.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users