Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update not working

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 HrcaA3000

HrcaA3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 02:01 AM

- I do consider CPU at 35% and memory usage of "Svchost" to be "High".

- Can you share the weblinks/websites that gave you the solution for this problem ?

I am sorry but I don't remeber on which sites I found solution because I viewed many sites to find solution (like I said I combined many solutions from many sites).I think that you shoudn't worry about cpu usage of svchost because when Windows Update needs to find updates on internet that is very complicated process.You should worry about that CPU usage in idle not when the Windows Update is running.

“Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 sptrajan

sptrajan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2016 - 01:13 AM

Nothing worked.I founded solution.Install thgese KB numbers in this order:

1. Windows8.1-KB3065988-v2-x64

2. Windows8.1-KB3138615-x64

3. Windows8.1-KB3020370-x64

VERY IMPORTANT!!!TURN OFF YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION AND THERE IS NO NEED TO RUN MICROSOFT FIX IT TOOL.

JUST INSTALL THESE UPDATES IN THAT ORDER.

Restart your computer.

This worked ... great :) Thanks 

Windows Update on Windows 8.1 started working after these three patches were installed. 

#18 mrbungle3

mrbungle3

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:00 PM

VERY IMPORTANT!!!TURN OFF YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION AND THERE IS NO NEED TO RUN MICROSOFT FIX IT TOOL.

Restart your computer.

Absolutely worked for me. Windows 8 laptop which was upgraded to 8.1 - hard drive failure - no backup - downloaded the Windows Tool and reinstalled Windows 8.1 but it would not update. After numerous attempted fixes I clean installed Windows 8.1 and followed the procedure here. It really does work. Many thanks for this fix HrcaA3000

#19 resarf

resarf

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2017 - 07:43 PM

Restart your computer.

Thanks so much for this great fix.  Hard to believe Windows 8.1 is broken on a fresh install.

#20 DaveLeeG

DaveLeeG

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:47 PM

I am stumped.  My Window update has not operated properly since September 2016.  I tried both the 3 batch files and the 3 Window patches mentioned in this thread.  Neither worked

My symptoms are

1.  Window update does not think it has EVER installed an update

2.  If I run Update it just hangs.  After I run Window Update there is a process "Service Host" Local System (13)" that continues to run indefinitely and consumes about 25% of my CPU.  If I go to Action Center and "Fix Window Update Issues" the process usage goes back down but Update still does not work. I really don’t want to go back to my initial system

Also, if I update my virus definitions it will hang.  If I run Fix Window Update Issues it will complete but only for that one time

I would appreciate any ideas

#21 Adrian_H

Adrian_H

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:22 AM

- How did you find out what updates were needed ?

You need to download latest version of windows update client Windows8.1-KB3138615-x64 (curentlly is march 2016),another two I founded on diffirent sites (I combined diffirent solutions from many sites).And also I recommend you to set way of installation to ask before downlading and installation.

Windows8.1-KB3138615-x64 was already installed, as was Windows8.1-KB3020370-x64.  Only Windows8.1-KB3065988-v2-x64 wasn't and installing it seems to have fixed the issue.  Didn't even have to reboot.

Thanks.

#22 DaveLeeG

DaveLeeG

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2017 - 03:30 PM

I am stumped.  My Window update has not operated properly since September 2016.  I tried both the 3 batch files and the 3 Window patches mentioned in this thread.  Neither worked

My symptoms are

1.  Window update does not think it has EVER installed an update

2.  If I run Update it just hangs.  After I run Window Update there is a process "Service Host" Local System (13)" that continues to run indefinitely and consumes about 25% of my CPU.  If I go to Action Center and "Fix Window Update Issues" the process usage goes back down but Update still does not work. I really don’t want to go back to my initial system

Also, if I update my virus definitions it will hang.  If I run Fix Window Update Issues it will complete but only for that one time

I would appreciate any ideas

Problem update.  I couldn't figure it out so I restored the OS back to the original out of the box configuration.  After that I still had to manually update the 3 patches mentioned in this thread to get Update to work.  After all that, things are working fine again

#23 Dhany_M

Dhany_M

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:36 AM

Restart your computer.

If you are still have troubles like "searching for updates on this computer" in your standalone installer then search 'FIX for Standalone Installer stuck at "Searching for Updates On This Computer" 2017' and you will resolve your problem.

#24 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,711 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:09 PM

Whatever was happening at the start of this thread might be similar to my situation at present, windows update has been taking so long to check that it hasn't detected any new updates since before April 11th. I've got fairly old hardware, so I shouldn't be caught up in the kaby-lake/carrizo problems. I have always had updates on the automatic checking, manual download and install setting since the horrors of GWX (and earlier actually), and have for several years only installed security updates (and for the last few months only the few pure security updates offered and inplace of the monthly "quality" rollups I've had the security-only rollups by downloading and running the relevant .msu files from microsoft's catalog website whenever I found windows update telling me new updates were due). Ofourse with windows update not able to check at present I'm not sure which the relevant msu files are for me this month, made even worse by the loss of the "this sort" of webpages which listed the updates needed in terms of the vulnerabilities addressed.

Thanks

Edited by rp88, 20 April 2017 - 03:09 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users