Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cloning windows 7 to SSD

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rusu

Rusu

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:25 PM

i want to clone a ssd 120gb to another ssd same size 120gb. it's partitioned in 2, will it also partition the new ssd and clone everything? i intend to do this as a fail safe so i can quickly swap and boot from the other ssd (i am also guessing that i will keep my system, programs, data and settings). i think i only need to clone the partition which has windows on it, other one i could just copy since there are no system or registry files there

unless there is a better option i'm going to use easeUS, it's free and seems pretty easy to use

first time doing this so if there is anything i should know please tell me, thanks you!

Edited by hamluis, 15 August 2016 - 05:15 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:41 PM

Cloning the disk will put a one to one copy on the new SSD. You can use Easeus Todo Backup to image the System Partition to an external drive. This way you could restore the partition to a new SSD without the need to clone. I think this would be the preferable option. If you have Windows 7 you want to image the 100MB System Reserved Partition as well as the Windows partition. 

Using an external drive for images would let you repair the SSD should it fail to boot because of a corrupted file system or malware and using the bootable media Easeus creates lets you recover the image to a new drive should yours fail. The external would allow you to put multiple images on the drive allowing you to update those images as you change the computer. Easeus also lets you create a base image then do differential and incremental images on the base image. This creates a much smaller image. This is preferable to cloning to a SSD where it's basically one and done unless you continuously clone the disks as you update the computer.

Easeus also allows you to do file backups to an image.

#3 Rusu

Rusu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:36 AM

hmm i'm a bit confused now, can't i directly clone my ssd to the new one without doing a backup or using some external drive?

i don't expect to have any problems with the clone process and it seems to be fairly easy to do from what i read, thanks

#4 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:14 AM

You can do what you exactly want, but I do not understand why it is necessary to copy Windows? Windows that today is new, it is already after a few days old. Updates come in, and I do not understand why you need to have the old version.
With older versions is not possible to repair newer one. 

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,828 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:24 AM

hmm i'm a bit confused now, can't i directly clone my ssd to the new one without doing a backup or using some external drive?

i don't expect to have any problems with the clone process and it seems to be fairly easy to do from what i read, thanks

Yes, if this is what you want to do, then clone to your SSD. You will all partitions on the newly cloned SSD. From looking at Easeus Todo I believe you can clone only the System Partitions. 

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/features/partition-clone.htm

#6 Rusu

Rusu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 03:17 PM

Yes, if this is what you want to do, then clone to your SSD. You will all partitions on the newly cloned SSD. From looking at Easeus Todo I believe you can clone only the System Partitions. 

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/features/partition-clone.htm

yea this is what i want i am just unsure on how the cloning process works

my ssd is split in 2 partitions, if i want to clone does it have to be exactly the same on the new ssd?

i would maybe make the windows partition a bit bigger on the new ssd to have more space for programs

You can do what you exactly want, but I do not understand why it is necessary to copy Windows? Windows that today is new, it is already after a few days old. Updates come in, and I do not understand why you need to have the old version.

well it's a good precaution in case something happens (hdd problems, or virus/malware etc)

i have a lot of programs installed, with my own personal settings and such and i don't want to lose them

if i clone it each 6 months or so i can still recover most of it should something unprevented happen

it's a good security measure and i think everybody who has important data should have a safety precaution

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,828 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:29 PM

I am not sure adjust the partition size using the Partition clone wizard. If not you could connect the cloned SSD via a USB adapter and resize the partition using a Partition Manager. If you like Easeus use the free Partition Master.

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:06 AM

i want to clone a ssd 120gb to another ssd same size 120gb. it's partitioned in 2, will it also partition the new ssd and clone everything? i intend to do this as a fail safe so i can quickly swap and boot from the other ssd (i am also guessing that i will keep my system, programs, data and settings)

. i think i only need to clone the partition which has windows on it, other one i could just copy since there are no system or registry files there

unless there is a better option i'm going to use easeUS, it's free and seems pretty easy to use
first time doing this so if there is anything i should know please tell me, thanks you!

Assuming you are using Windows*, then yes cloning it will clone all partitions if the cloning program supports that. I know that Acronis True Image's cloning function will clone all partitions as I use it and I have cloned drives with multiple partitions (in the past, I would setup a boot partition and a separate partition for the Windows pagefile). True Image does a bit by bit clone, which means you get the entire drive setup EXACTLY the same as the original drive. The only thing that might change is if the drive sizes are different as True Image does support auto-partition size adjustment. If the new drive is bigger, then it will automatically resize the two partitions proportionally to fit the new bigger drive if you want it to (I believe you can elect to not use the auto-resizing). If the new drive is smaller, then it will automatically resize the two partitions proportionally to fit the new smaller drive...assuming you don't have more data on the old drive than will fit on the new drive. I assume most Windows cloning programs will do the same in terms of copying all partitions when cloning, but I only really have experience with Acronis True Image.

* On the Mac OS, cloning in my experience will only clone what would be called a single partition in Windows (in the Mac OS it is called a drive that is on a disk in rough terms, but is still technically a partition and in some places referred to as a partition). At least that is the case with Superduper!, the cloning program that I use. I do know that Carbon Copy Cloner for the Mac can also at least copy the Recovery partition as part of the cloning process (something that SuperDuper! does not do).

Edited by smax013, 16 August 2016 - 09:07 AM.

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:10 AM

Because it is much faster to restore from a clone or just pop the clone disk into the computer and then run Windows update and update installed applications if your original drive dies (or something of a similar nature) than to just install a new blank drive, install Windows, install all the applications, and then do all the updates for Windows and the applications (since the install discs will suffer from the same issue...i.e. that is that the install discs will have "old" version of Windows or programs).

#10 Rusu

Rusu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:53 AM

i asked easeUS and they said it will clone it exactly the same, both windows partition and the other one

they have option to optimize for SSD and clone sector by sector as well (which i think is same as you described bit by bit)

will use same size ssd, 120gb both so there won't be any complications with resizing

and yes i decided to get a backup drive as smax said just in case something happens to this one

then i can quickly change without losing my windows, programs, settings etc....

thx to all for your posts, i think i got all the information now to do this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users