Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

How to obtain working audio in Skype in Puppy Linux 'Tahrpup' 6.0.5...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 14 August 2016 - 05:41 PM

How to get PulseAudio (and sound in Skype 4.3.0.37) working in Puppy Linux 'Tahrpup' 6.05.....

Evening, everybody. If, like me, you run the modern 'Pups', and have been incensed by Microsoft's somewhat cavalier handling of the audio issue since buying out Skype, read on.....

Puppy has always used ALSA, which works very well indeed. PulseAudio is not native to the Puppy Linux world, and the 'official' versions in the repositories have always been somewhat problematic.....

Requirements:-

These have been provided by watchdog, one of the small army of very dedicated Puppy Forum 'coders'.

There are three items we'll be using;

1) A 'stripped' version of the 4.8.5 Qt libraries.

2) watchdog's own version of the PulseAudio package, compiled this time around for the 3.14.20 kernel used in 'Tahr' 6.0.5, and

3) watchdog's own compilation of the Skype 4.3.0.37 package.....although this last item is generic, and not kernel-specific.

**Instructions**

OK then; here we go. To start with, if you already have one of the many Puppy Skype variants installed, you'll need to remove it. Preferably with the PPM, if it's a .pet package, or unload it, if it's an SFS.

Follow this up by going into /root (use 'Files' on the desktop), then when ROX-Filer has opened, click on the 'eye' icon in the address bar to show the 'hidden' files. Locate /root/.Skype, and delete it. We want to start with a completely clean slate here, if at all possible. To be certain, re-boot.

1) Right. First things first. Go to this post on the Puppy Forums, and download the 'qt-4.8.5-i686-stripped_5.6.1.sfs' package from scabz's 'Smokey' repository.

(I'll explain, at this juncture, that this is perfectly safe. Smokey was one of the original Puppy Forum members, back in 2005, when John Murga created the Forums. He hosts a huge cloud account, from which he has, over the years, allocated space to those worthy individuals who have contributed to the Puppy software 'pool' over the years, so each has their own directory. This has helped to 'centralise' a very large chunk of priceless Puppy software in one single location.)

Once you've downloaded this, move it to your /mnt/home directory, and 'load' it with Shinobar's SFS 'on-the-fly' loader, from the right-click menu.

2) Download the 'Pulseaudio-4.0-tahr-i686.pet' from here:-

.....and install it by clicking on it.

3) Finally, download watchdog's specially-compiled Skype 4.3.0.37 package from here:-

.....and install this by clicking on it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

4) Having done all this, first of all, check that PulseAudio will run by entering into the terminal the following command:-

pulseaudio --start

It will complain about running as root, but this IS Puppy, so we can ignore that. If you get the additional text about the daemon failing to start, this is because you need to modify the /etc/pulse/default.pa script to point it in the right direction for the speaker and microphone sources for your sound card.

5) Enter the following two commands into the terminal, one at a time, and take note of the output, as we'll need to enter these into the above-mentioned script.

aplay -l

This will list the output sources from your sound card; card number (x), and device number (x).

Followed by:-

arecord -l

.....which will list the recording inputs for your soundcard, in the above format. To demonstrate this, I've provided screenshots of both:-

The output from 'aplay -l'...

QPJCcUE.png

Note the first device. This is my sound card, so we make a note of

a) Card '0', and 
b ) Device '0'.

Next, the output from 'arecord -l':-

KepL3D7.png

This time, I want the webcam's microphone, so I make a note of

a) Card '2', and
b ) Device '0'.

------------------------------------------------------------------

6) Having obtained this, we now open /etc/pulse/default.pa, and look for the lines like this, at approx. lines 47-48:-

load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,0
load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:2,0
You'll see that I've inserted the output device's number (Card'0', Device'0') at 'alsa-sink', for the speakers, and the recording device's number (Card '2', Device '0') at 'alsa-source', for the capture input.

All things being being equal, re-run

pulseaudio --start

...in the terminal, and if you've got it right, the only output you should now get is the moan about running as root. This is what you want to see.....and nothing more. PulseAudio should now be running on your system.

----------------------------------------------------------------

7) One final thing to do. You'll need to go into the Retrovol 'mixer', and set the capture & microphone controls to the appropriate settings.

We can access 'Retrovol' by right-clicking the volume icon on the taskbar, and selecting 'Full Window'.....which will give you the following:-

P0JqLqJ.png

Note that the 'Capture' slider at the bottom is up full, and that 'Mic Select' and 'Capture.So' are both set to 'Mic1' and 'Mic', respectively. You may need 'Mic 2' for it to work (depending on your system, of course), but you'll need to modify the above script in the appropriate place.

(You can tick the 'Mic Boost' checkbox, if you wish.....but you'll probably find, like I do, that you'll then need to back the 'Capture' slider off a notch or two.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8) Now it's finally time to fire up Skype. Make the 'Test Call'; and, all things being equal, you should hear your recorded message being played back to you!

('Testing, testing, testing.....1, 2, 3....')  :lol:

Once you've got this all working, go into Skype's 'Options', 'Sound Devices', and open PulseAudio's Volume control.....and set the right card as 'default'. This will ensure that the correct card is always selected.

And that, kiddiwinks, should be that. Hopefully, somebody out there may find this to be of some small use.....  :rolleyes:

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 15 August 2016 - 10:08 AM.

If the information given has helped you, please remember to say 'Thanks!'

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rufwoof

rufwoof

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:04 PM

Thanks Mike

More recent versions of Skype don't cater for a tick box choice of redirecting income call ringing to external speakers and rest of sound/talking (recording) being to/from headphones.

The trick to get around that is to use Options, Notifications and open up the advanced options ... and then select particular events such as incoming call and tick the run script choice. Enter in a script name (I used /usr/local/bin/skype-event) and create a script to do whatever, such as play a sound ... mine looks something like (I run Debian Jessie KDE frugally installed)

#!/bin/bash

kdialog --msgbox "Skype Event .." &
play /usr/share/skype/sounds/CallRingingOut.wav

... so when a call comes in, the external speakers ring (along with the conventional Skype incoming call sound through the headphones).

jwm, pcmanfm --desktop, brightside hot corners

#3 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:30 PM

Hiya, rufwoof!

What on earth are you doing knocking about around these parts? Or are you, like me, getting fed up with the current state of affairs on the Forum?  :whistle:

Thanks for the info, BTW. All contributions gratefully received, as always. I was so pleased to finally get Skype sound working properly in Puppy, thanks to watchdog (after a long, 2-yr uphill slog), I've finally, at long last, given XP the 'heave-ho'. The install disk went through the shredder a fortnight ago.....and all my old Windows XP crap has basically gone the same way. I thought I'd share the 'trick' with the good folks here on BC. There's a few other Puppy fans kicking around under foot..!

Puppy just works for me.....and has done, without fuss, for the last couple of years. Brilliant, ain't it?  :P

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 28 August 2016 - 06:37 PM.

If the information given has helped you, please remember to say 'Thanks!'

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users