Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"This copy of Windows is not Genuine"

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 14 August 2016 - 04:49 PM

Hi,

Last November I built a new computer. I purchased a copy of Windows 7 Pro from eBay and it came with a product key. I installed the OS using the product key and everything was fine and everything has worked successfully since then.

A few minutes ago, I noticed that there was a message in small type in the lower left corner of my screen. It said:

Windows 7

Build 7601

This copy of Windows is not genuine.

I figured something had temporarily gotten screwed up so I did a restart, expecting the message to go away when the computer started up again. This time a window opened and the message in it told me that my copy of Windows was not genuine and it gave me the option to upgrade to a valid copy, or to "Remind me later".  I clicked Remind Me Later and when the reboot was finished, my wallpaper disappeared and I had a black background. All of my desktop icons still seemed to be there. And the message that I originally got was still posted in the lower right hand corner.

I noticed that there were some updates available, so I went into Windows Update and installed them, hoping that this would fix the problem, but no such luck. Same as before.

Does anyone have any idea why, after 9 months, this message should begin to show up, and how I can get rid of it?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 14 August 2016 - 05:08 PM

Reference:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/594231/windows-7-build-7601-this-copy-of-windows-is-not-genuine/ .

I suggest you contact Microsoft via phone and see if you can get it properly activated.

Louis

#3 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:25 PM

Louis,

Thanks. I read through the thread that you posted and I will try some of the suggestions mentioned there. If they do not work, I will then call MS to try to get this resolved.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:06 PM

If you right click Computer and select Properties does the computer still say not genuine under Windows Activation? There was an update called WGA notification that sometimes called out the OS as not genuine.

#5 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:18 AM

John,

Yes, under Windows Activation it says:

You must activate today. Activate Windows now.

Product Id: <a bunch of numbers>  Change Product Key

What do you suggest that I do from here?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,644 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:35 AM

Contact Microsoft and explain the issue. Tell them you bought a license from Ebay and used it for almost a year. Hopefully they will activate it or ask them if they would offer you Windows 10 for free.

Call (888) 571-2048 and wait for a live person

#7 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:51 AM

John,

Thanks. I will let you know how I make out.

#8 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 12:25 PM

I called Microsoft and talked to a representative. It seems that my key is being blocked because it has been activated too many times. I'm not sure why it took Microsoft 9 months to figure this out. The representative asked me to submit a Counterfeit Software report and to expect a call from tech support within 24 hours. In the report, I made a point of stating that the software wasn't counterfeit, so I will have to wait and see what happens when they call me. Hopefully, I will be able to explain what happened and they will go ahead and activate it again.

They also wanted the user name of the eBay seller that I bought it from and the auction number. Turns out that the seller is no longer doing business on eBay, so I don't know what will happen with that, but at least they can see that I did purchase it legally.

I will follow up when I get more information.

#9 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:15 PM

They also wanted the user name of the eBay seller that I bought it from and the auction number. Turns out that the seller is no longer doing business on eBay, so I don't know what will happen with that, but at least they can see that I did purchase it legally.

A common occurrence on eBay, sadly. When you said "I purchased a copy of Windows 7 Pro from eBay" red flags started shooting off in my head. 

Hopefully it all works out. Good luck!

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,644 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:52 PM

Yeah, on Ebay I would only deal with a seller that had a 99% + rating and many sales before I would purchase a Windows license. Good Luck. 

#11 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 02:57 PM

Thanks, guys. Hopefully, by this time tomorrow, I will know one way or the other.

#12 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:38 AM

Well,

It's been 48 hours and no phone call from MS. I'm thinking that the form that I filled out and sent to MS was just to report that I had bought counterfeit software and who I got it from, but was not a request for assistance. I'll have to call them again and see if I can get further than I did the last time.

Update: I finally got in touch with MS and was told that since the number of activations had been exceeded, there was nothing that they could do, and I would have to contact the seller to get the number of activations increased. I told the rep that the seller was no longer doing business on eBay and she told me to contact eBay and they would take care of it.

You can't just get on the phone to eBay. You have to go through an online process and part of that is telling them what item you are having trouble with. Apparently, the product has to go back 90 days or less, because nothing that I purchased before May 21st was shown on the list of items to choose from, and since I bought it back in October it looks like I'm stuck with no recourse except to buy another license.

After reading on this forum about the problems that many people had when they installed the Anniversary Update to Windows 10, I'm thinking that I still don't want to deal with 10, so I guess I'll just see if I can get another Windows 7 license. And I probably won't buy it on eBay!

Edited by Warthog-Fan, 17 August 2016 - 12:23 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,644 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:51 AM

Are you currently posting from the computer with the warning? I assume you have another computer but if not and Microsoft locks you out of functionality after a period of time you can boot to a live linux USB with persistence to browse the internet, save your downloaded files, and use equivalent linux programs. 

When you contact Microsoft they will probably have a ticket with a history of your previous call. I would ask them if they would provide a Windows 10 key or at least at a significant discount.

#14 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 12:57 PM

John,

I am using the computer that has the message, and so far, it is okay. I was discussing the Linux option this morning with a friend of mine and we both agreed that Linux is for people who were more computer-savvy than either of us.

Like I said above, I really don't want to deal with Windows 10 because I don't believe that is is truly stable yet. I don't need to go from the frying pan into the fire. Even if I have to put out some more money for a new Windows 7 license, I think for myself it's still the best option.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,644 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:06 PM

If you create a bootable flash drive or DVD of Linux Mint you will find it not that difficult and any question you have can be posted in the linux forum. You would not be installing anything as it would be running off the flash drive or DVD and RAM. I can't remember but after a certain time limit I think Microsoft basically cripples the OS so you cannot do much on the computer.

See this video on Mint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNMMl3RSQ6U

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users