Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Terrified to edit the registry in 10, expert guidance please

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mama4cats

mama4cats

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 14 August 2016 - 12:31 PM

Error when trying to use Office programs:  "...could not create the work file.  Check the temp environment variable."

Microsoft "pseudo-support/help" says edit registry Cache entry.

Here's what the registry says now:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Cache  E:\overflow from c drive\Temporary Internet Files

Since I have no E:\ drive, this concerns me.  I migrated the OS from a hard drive to a SSD prior to Win 10 upgrade, but had no problems with Office under Win 7.

Disk Management shows an E: drive; however, it has a little disc in the icon so I assume it refers to the optical drive I removed to put in another machine?  The info shown in DM about this imaginary drive is Layout:  Simple, Type:  Basic, File System:  RAW, Status:  Healthy (Primary), Capacity:  0 MB, Free Space:  0 MB, %Free:  100%.

This may or may not be related/important to my current issue, this is the first entry in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\(Default)  (Value not set)

Win 10 is on C:\drive & I want anything else to go to N:\drive.  All of the other registry entries on this screen refer to either the C:\ or N:\ drives.  No others point to E:\.

Any guidance as to exactly what needs to be entered for Cache in place of the reference to a drive that does not exist?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Back in the day I was told not to go rooting around in the registry because there were no user-serviceable things inside.  (Sort of like the engine compartment of my car.[Sigh])  :scratchhead:

AMD A10-7700K, MSI A68HM, 2 x 8GB Avexir DDR3 2133, 240GB SSD x 2 & 1TB SATAIII x 4, McAfee, Windows 10 Pro, Office 2016.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 01:18 PM

On my computer, I have the this value:

C:\Users\[redacted]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 14 August 2016 - 01:22 PM

Back in the day I was told not to go rooting around in the registry because there were no user-serviceable things inside. (Sort of like the engine compartment of my car.[Sigh]) :scratchhead:

That warning is correct for the most part. The registry is very delicate part of the OS and should not be touched unless you are doing so on the advise of an expert.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 14 August 2016 - 03:25 PM

As others have said, fooling with the registry is good for nothing but TROUBLE.  I have versions of Office 2007 and Office 2016 installed and might be able to help.  However you haven't said what version of Office you have or what you were trying to do when this error occurred.  I've been working with PCs since 1989 and almost NEVER have had to fool with the registry.  I'm pretty sure I haven't changed anything in the registry in the last 5 years, and never had the slightest reason to do so.  Beware of anyone or anything that tells you to change something in the registry unless you're talking to a support expert with Microsoft or whatever product you're working with.  Even then you should be certain you have a full system backup to an external hard drive in case you make your system unbootable.  

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 05:42 PM

@Niweg
I never said that the registry shouldn't be touched... I the the OP's "No user-serviceable parts" analogy is the best way to describe this: If you know what you're doing, you're fine. If you don't, you can cause plenty of harm to yourself and/or whatever you're working on.

#6 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 05:49 PM

OP, considering that the value is already messed up, I don't think we can do too much harm here, especially if you make a backup first.

We need to run a registry backup with ERUNT:

Before we continue making any changes to your machine, we need to back up your current registry configuration.
  • Click here to open the download page for ERUNT
  • Scroll down to the Download ERUNT: section and choose a download server for erunt-setup.exe
  • Save the file to your desktop
  • Run erunt-setup.exe to install the application on your computer
  • Click Next on each screen accepting the defaults, click Install
  • Choose whether or not to run ERUNT at startup (recommended)
  • Untick Show Documentation and click Finish to launch ERUNT
    (it can also be run from Start > Program Files > ERUNT > ERUNT)
  • Click Ok on the dialog box, select the folder for ERUNT to backup to (default recommended)
    (a warning might appear if the folder does not exist, click yes to create it)
  • ERUNT will run and a message will notify that you that the backup is complete
Note: alternatively you can run the version without an installer by downloading erunt.zip, extracting the contents to a directory of your choice, and running ERUNT.EXE

After that, please run the following command in command prompt for me, and copy & paste the output of the notepad file that opens into your next post:

reg export HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders %userprofile%\Desktop\bad-key.reg && notepad %userprofile%\Desktop\bad-key.reg

#7 mama4cats

mama4cats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:17 AM

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  I did a full backup yesterday, so when I get home from work I will follow the steps from ScathEnfys & post the results.  

BTW, I have Office Suite 2016 installed local via Office 365, and I've got the same error message from Outlook, Work & Excel.  

Thanks!  

AMD A10-7700K, MSI A68HM, 2 x 8GB Avexir DDR3 2133, 240GB SSD x 2 & 1TB SATAIII x 4, McAfee, Windows 10 Pro, Office 2016.

#8 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:26 AM

Oops, I made a small error in the command I was going to have you execute. Please run this one instead after following the ERUNT instructions:
reg export "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" %userprofile%\Desktop\bad-key.reg && notepad %userprofile%\Desktop\bad-key.reg

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:32 PM

Leave the registry alone.

If you don't, then be sure to:

- back it up

- have a way to restore it if the system doesn't boot.

The standard answer to avoid editing the registry (in this sort of situation) is to uninstall Office, then reboot and download/install a fresh copy.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:56 PM

I edit the registry a lot.  Sometimes many times a day.  There are lots of things that you can do with the registry.  Editing the registry has saved me plenty of headaches.  Just be sure to export the key you are editing.  I also make regular restore points, and have last known good configuration available in my boot menu when I press F8.

#11 mama4cats

mama4cats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:26 PM

OP, considering that the value is already messed up, I don't think we can do too much harm here, especially if you make a backup first.

We need to run a registry backup with ERUNT:

Before we continue making any changes to your machine, we need to back up your current registry configuration.

• Click here to open the download page for ERUNT
  • Scroll down to the Download ERUNT: section and choose a download server for erunt-setup.exe
  • Save the file to your desktop
  • Run erunt-setup.exe to install the application on your computer
  • Click Next on each screen accepting the defaults, click Install
  • Choose whether or not to run ERUNT at startup (recommended)
  • Untick Show Documentation and click Finish to launch ERUNT
    (it can also be run from Start > Program Files > ERUNT > ERUNT)
  • Click Ok on the dialog box, select the folder for ERUNT to backup to (default recommended)
    (a warning might appear if the folder does not exist, click yes to create it)
  • ERUNT will run and a message will notify that you that the backup is complete
Note: alternatively you can run the version without an installer by downloading erunt.zip, extracting the contents to a directory of your choice, and running ERUNT.EXE

After that, please run the following command in command prompt for me, and copy & paste the output of the notepad file that opens into your next post:

reg export HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders %userprofile%\Desktop\bad-key.reg && notepad %userprofile%\Desktop\bad-key.reg

I copied/pasted from your post to the command prompt and hit Enter.  

And the result is:

ERROR:  Invalid syntax.

Type "REG EXPORT /?" for usage.

If I type just "REG EXPORT /?" will I get what you want me to post or does this mean something else?   :scratchhead:

#12 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:02 PM

You did nothing wrong :)

The quotes were missing for the registry path in the command. Run this command:

reg export "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" %userprofile%\Desktop\bad-key.reg && notepad %userprofile%\Desktop\bad-key.reg

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#13 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:50 PM

When you moved things from drive to drive of course that is going to make things wonky. Try uninstalling the office software. Usually you get an option to uninstall or repair.

#14 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:46 PM

Thanks @CKing. @OP, I noted that I had made that error and posted a corrected script in post #8. Please run the corrected script (either what Cking posted in #12 or I posted in #8, they're identical) and post the results of that instead. If you get an amount of output too large to fit in a post, use github gist or pastebin to share it.

Edited by ScathEnfys, 16 August 2016 - 09:49 PM.

#15 mama4cats

mama4cats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:46 AM

Thanks @CKing. @OP, I noted that I had made that error and posted a corrected script in post #8. Please run the corrected script (either what Cking posted in #12 or I posted in #8, they're identical) and post the results of that instead. If you get an amount of output too large to fit in a post, use github gist or pastebin to share it.

After installing ERDNT, the next time I started my computer I got an error message.  

Unable to create file:

C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT\AutoBackup\8-16-2016\ERDNT.INF

Registry backup will continue, but no restore information for the ERDNT program will be saved.  This means that later restoration of the registry can only be done manually by using another OS to copy back the files.

I used Server 2 as the download mirror, if that is important.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users