Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer locks up after power cycled

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 icu2

icu2

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:11 AM

I've tried everything I can think of.

After a power cycle (and updates) my computer almost immediately shows the little spinning

blue circle and eventually I get "The application is not responding. The program may respond again..."

and if I click end process I lose the entire task bar and icons and I no shortcuts work on the desktop.

I can boot into safe mode and the problem is gone. I was using Panda antivirus and that was disabled

after the power cycle and I had to uninstall/reinstall to do a scan. Although it found no problems. Malwarebytes

also found nothing.

I'm not sure what info might help but let me know and I'd be happy to post whatever I can.

Thank you in advance!

Steve

Attached File  Image2.jpg   69.4KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 icu2

icu2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 11:41 AM

Fwiw, I did a clean boot and same results. Within about 10-15 seconds if I select any desktop icon I get

a constant blue circle and eventually the not responding message.

#3 icu2

icu2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:53 PM

Shameless bump... :)

Also, no SFC errors. All restore points were gone after the 'update'. Only way to escape the lock up is to manually power cycle.

Any ideas?

Edited by icu2, 15 August 2016 - 12:14 AM.

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 12:27 AM

This is what I would do if it were my machine (just to perhaps give you a few more ideas to try out)

First if everything works ok in safe mode then I would think from that that it is something that runs in ''real time'' that is causing the issue.

I would totally uninstall any 3rd party antivirus (which should switch on Win Defender)

If malwarebytes is paid real-time version just turn off real time for now as a test.

I would stop any other 3rd party programs running at start up as a test (you can always add them back one at a time later)

I would check that Win Updates are fully up to date and not asking for a restart.

What build of Win 10?  (type winver in seach/Cortana box and it will tell you)

#5 icu2

icu2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:32 AM

Thanks so much for your help opera!

Okay, well everything works in safe mode but things like Excel, video playback, and sound doesn't... but I

guessed that was normal with the limits of safe mode?

I removed Avast antivirus and went ahead and removed Malwarebytes. I get a notification popup saying

Windows Security Center can't start but I assumed that was because I'm in safe mode too. I manually

started Win Defender. After I send this I'll try and restart in regular mode and see if I can run a scan

with it.

I don't get any notice for a restart because of updates... I couldn't find where it'd tell me what updates

had been installed or the status of them like I had in W7.

Here's a screen shot of winver:

Attached File  Image2.jpg   82.58KB   0 downloads

#6 opera

opera

• Members
  • 970 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:54 AM

You mention you uninstalled Avast av.

You mentioned earlier you were also running Panda av, hopefully you have uninstalled that as well.

To see updates area, press start flag and then click on settings which is the little cog wheel just above it (when you hover over it it says settings).

Then click on Updates and Security and under Check for Updates press 'update history'

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:52 AM

Clean Boot
If the error is caused by a current running process, restart your Windows system using the clean boot method will allow you to troubleshoot if a current service or process is causing the error to appear.
With a clean boot only the necessary services and process that are required to operate Windows are started when you boot your computer.
Follow these steps:
  • Start Windows
  • Open Run dialog box by pressing 7W6b39o.png keys.

• Type msconfig and press Enter key

• Go to General tab > check Selective Startup option

• Uncheck the Load startup items check box

• Go to Services tab

• Check Hide all Microsoft services check box from the bottom left corner of the window

• Click Disable all

• Click OK

• Restart Windows

To reset these changes and start your Windows normally, follow the same steps:
  • Go to the General tab
  • Check the Normal Startup option
  • Click OK
  • Restart

Edited by FreeBooter, 15 August 2016 - 06:53 AM.

2GvnEq2.gif

#8 icu2

icu2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:27 AM

You mention you uninstalled Avast av.

You mentioned earlier you were also running Panda av, hopefully you have uninstalled that as well.

To see updates area, press start flag and then click on settings which is the little cog wheel just above it (when you hover over it it says settings).

Then click on Updates and Security and under Check for Updates press 'update history'

Sorry, yes, Panda was removed too.

And maybe it is an issue with the update because that's the first place I went after things went haywire to 

see if I could remove the update but this is all I get:

Attached File  Image1.jpg   26.06KB   0 downloads

It will sit there "thinking" forever and never shows me any information on the updates... just the little dots scrolling on top

of the screen.

I did a regular restart and was able to start a scan with Defender but only made it to about 12% and froze so same issue.

I ran the scan in safe mode but it didn't find anything.

Edited by icu2, 15 August 2016 - 09:49 AM.

#9 icu2

icu2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:48 AM

Clean Boot
If the error is caused by a current running process, restart your Windows system using the clean boot method will allow you to troubleshoot if a current service or process is causing the error to appear.
With a clean boot only the necessary services and process that are required to operate Windows are started when you boot your computer.
Follow these steps:

• Start Windows
  • Open Run dialog box by pressing 7W6b39o.png keys.

• Type msconfig and press Enter key

• Go to General tab > check Selective Startup option

• Uncheck the Load startup items check box

• Go to Services tab

• Check Hide all Microsoft services check box from the bottom left corner of the window

• Click Disable all

• Click OK

• Restart Windows

To reset these changes and start your Windows normally, follow the same steps:
  • Go to the General tab
  • Check the Normal Startup option
  • Click OK
  • Restart

Thanks FreeBooter,

Yes, that's how I did the clean boot, although I also went to startup, Task Manager, and disabled all

listed... but now that I think about it, I probably didn't need to do that.

I click restart and log in normally but the problem persists. When I log in via safe mode I'm able to

work (although limited) normally.

Without any restore points is there any way to undo that update? Like opera said, I wonder if the issue isn't

linked to my inability to "see" the update history?

Thanks for the help so far!

#10 opera

opera

• Members
  • 970 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:14 AM

If you right-click on  Start and select Control Panel then Programs and Features, on the left it will mention Windows Updates.

Are you able to see anything there?

#11 icu2

icu2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:55 AM

If you right-click on  Start and select Control Panel then Programs and Features, on the left it will mention Windows Updates.

Are you able to see anything there?

Bingo!! :thumbsup2:

I see the update that I believe caused it on 8/13... should I uninstall that? If so, does it matter if I'm in safe

or logged in normally?

Attached File  Image2.jpg   63.33KB   0 downloads

Doing a lot of reading and I found I never had restore points enabled. I changed that!

#12 opera

opera

• Members
  • 970 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:00 AM

You could give it a try in safe mode first. Re-start laptop afterwards.

It will want to re-install but perhaps this time it may do it without issue.

#13 icu2

icu2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:59 AM

Man, I thought that did it.... but it only lasts a little longer now before locking up.

I uninstalled the update in Safe Mode and restarted and could open Firefox and browse for about a minute

before it froze and the little blue "wait" circle appears and the "program not responding" box arrived. But the

browser worked fast and not like it was laboring. It runs quick and then when it locks up it happens instantly.

On the restart it did flash something about 30% but was so quick I couldn't read it and I thought it had reinstalled

the update I removed, but it's still not in the list of updates now.

Attached File  Image2.jpg   63.36KB   0 downloads

I changed msconfig to enable the startup items and put everything back to normal to see if that would help but

same result. So I put everything back to clean boot mode.

Bummer... I really though that was going to do it. When I booted normally and had the startup items enabled I

watched task manager to see if I could see what was locking everything up but nothing was using an exorbitant 

amount of resources... and while watching it and none of the processes using over 5%, it locked up.

Thanks again for the help but I'm open to any other guesses. :(

#14 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:41 PM

When you end a process and desktop will no longer displayed because the application that was not responding is Explorer.exe (File Explorer) when you terminate explorer.exe then Desktop and Taskbar will be terminated as well.

Troubleshooting Windows Explorer not responding or crashes 

Please try below troubleshooting steps.

1. Boot your computer into Safe Mode  if the issue resolves within Safe Mode then one of the startup programs or services causing the issue perform a clean boot to find out which startup program causing the issue.

2. Open Command Prompt as a administrator and type Sfc /Scannow command and press Enter key to repair any damage Windows system files.

In case you are unable to start the System File Checker and you instead get the “Windows Resource Protection Could Not Start the Repair Service” error, you may want to check up if Windows Modules Installer service has been Disabled. To do so, type services.msc in Start Menu search box and hit Enter. The startup type of this service should be set to Manual. Double click the Windows Modules Installer service name to set its startup type to Manual.

3. Type Chkdsk C: /r  command to repair C: partition NTFS file system errors and mark bad sectors.

4. Check the Event Viewer for any error or warning logs that may give you clue what is causing the issue.

5. Within normal booted Windows execute my batch script as a administrator download link is below.

Thumbnail and Icon Cache Rebuilder

6. Uninstall third party codec packs.

7. A media file that is corrupted could cause windows Explorer not to respond disable Thumbnail Previews in File Explorer in Windows 10.

After disabling the thumbnail preview the issue  resolve i will guide you to find out which media file causing the Windows Explorer not respond.

8. Buggy Windows Explorer extensions that is install by third party  program can cause icons disappear and make Windows Explorer not respond. Follow the instructions at below website link.

Troubleshooting Right Click Issues Caused by Shell Extensions

2GvnEq2.gif

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 03:59 PM

Have a look at this article:  http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-anniversary-update-freezing-microsoft-offers-temporary-fix/

Unsure if you fit the criteria, but it may help you even if you don't have all the problems.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users