Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to use parted magic

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 seraphin

seraphin

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:53 AM

From this forum, I learned that Parted Magic can help, possibly, restore some of the files in a crashed hard drive that is now considered RAW when plugged through USB. I mounted Parted Magic ISO file into F drive but when I clicked on the F drive, instead of program starting running, I was shown with four folders and two additional files with no file extension. Why doesn't the program run?

I understand this is a specific question regarding a particular program so if the admin considers the question inappropriate, please let me know (and if possible, suggest a right forum).

If any other users have any suggestion regarding either Parted Magic software or any other tool to help me read/recover the RAW hard drive, please do not hesitate to respond. Thank you all very much.

ps. I took a peek at the Parted Magic forum. Without registration, it looked pretty empty (i.e. not a lot of interaction on the forum).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:43 AM

Hi,

The Parted Magic ISO contains a Live Linux OS so you can't run the programs inside by mounting the ISO.

What you need to do is burn the ISO to a DVD (as image not data) or use a program like Rufus to transfer the ISO to a flash drive. With the Parted Magic on a DVD or Flash drive you need to start the computer and boot from the DVD of flash, this way the Parted Magic Live OS will start loading.

If you need more help on this please post the brand and model of the machine you have and also what is the Operating System currently installed. The problem with the RAW drive happens on the OS drive or another drive?

If you have Windows 10 and the problem started after installing the new Windows 10 (Anniversary Edition) please don't try any recovery because isn't needed.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 seraphin

seraphin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:23 AM

Thanks a lot for the quick response.

The new computer runs on Windows 10. The crashed one (RAW) was Windows 7. With Windows 10, I can do the virtual CD thing so presumably (ps. I am a computer novice so oftentimes would use terms/say things that I actually have no clues of) I don't need to burn the ISO. Still, under Windows 10, I can only "launch" the ISO to the point of seeing the 4 folders and two files. I was expecting that when I clicked on the virtual CD, it would just run automatically.

You do mention about Parted Magic being a Linux OS. I've read about it but have no idea why I could not "run/launch" it by clicking on the "virtual CD". I found that under Windows 10, there is a way of changing the BIOS so as to start the machine from another Drive. I've done the following but that did not change anything (i.e. still cannot launch Linux OS):

Under Windows 10 -

Settings > Update/Security > Recovery > Advanced Startup (start now) >Troubleshoot > Advanced Options ...

I was told that I could change the BIOS. Although I went (?) to the BIOS, yet I did not see the "F Drive". I tinkers with some settings (??), but still nothing changed (i.e. no launch from Linux) after I re-launched the computer.

Any further help will be appreciated. Thanks again.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,084 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:41 AM

Thanks a lot for the quick response.
The new computer runs on Windows 10. The crashed one (RAW) was Windows 7.

Sorry you lost me. The RAW is on another machine? another disk? or another partition (same disk but with different drive letter)?

With Windows 10, I can do the virtual CD thing so presumably (ps. I am a computer novice so oftentimes would use terms/say things that I actually have no clues of) I don't need to burn the ISO. Still, under Windows 10, I can only "launch" the ISO to the point of seeing the 4 folders and two files. I was expecting that when I clicked on the virtual CD, it would just run automatically.

Yes Windows 10 can mount a ISO and run windows programs from inside the ISO, but this will not work for Parted Magic because its a "full Operating System" not a program that you can run on Windows.

You do mention about Parted Magic being a Linux OS. I've read about it but have no idea why I could not "run/launch" it by clicking on the "virtual CD". I found that under Windows 10, there is a way of changing the BIOS so as to start the machine from another Drive. I've done the following but that did not change anything (i.e. still cannot launch Linux OS):

Under Windows 10 -
Settings > Update/Security > Recovery > Advanced Startup (start now) >Troubleshoot > Advanced Options ...

I was told that I could change the BIOS. Although I went (?) to the BIOS, yet I did not see the "F Drive". I tinkers with some settings (??), but still nothing changed (i.e. no launch from Linux) after I re-launched the computer.

Any further help will be appreciated. Thanks again.

To do a recovery you need to Burn a DVD with Parted Magic or create a Flash drive if the machine doesn't have a DVD drive. Then you need to enter the BIOS and change the boot order to start from the DVD (drives only have letters inside windows not in BIOS) or flash drive.

Its more easy to help you if we know more about your computer please do this:

• download Speccy Portable save the file to some place
  • extract the Zip file spsetupxxx.zip to an empty folder
  • run Speccy/Speccy64 according to the Operating System you have

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

• In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  • In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  • Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box

Please post the resulting URL.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 seraphin

seraphin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:47 PM

My apology for the belated reply.

1. finally i got a bootable Parted Magic and was able to launch Parted Magic

2. using a new Dell laptop that runs on Windows 10, i booted the laptop from a USB that contains Parted Magic and used it to attempt to rescue data from a crashed HP laptop that has an internal Toshiba HD (600 GB, with 400 GB data)

3. when plugged in to Dell laptop (Windows 10), the Toshiba HD is not recognized (RAW)

4. both TestDisk and PhotoRec cannot recognize the 600 GB Toshiba HD either.

5. have tried minitool data recovery which seemed to be able to recognize some files on the Toshiba HD

6. the Toshiba HD has Windows 7 OS in there

Any help on using Parted Magic or any other tool to rescue ~400 GB data in the Windows 7-based Toshiba HD?

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,084 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:58 AM

Hi,

- How did you connected the Toshiba HDD to the Dell machine?

- Did Parted Magic recognized the Toshiba HDD?

- You used TestDisk and PhotoRec from Windows or Linux?

___
Rui

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:58 AM

I suggest GetDataBack from http://www.runtime.org

It's free to see what it can recover - then you'll have to pay to actually recover it.
Last I checked it was $80 (US).

There are free options out there, but they are (IMO) either too difficult to use, or they aren't very effective.

BUT, I haven't tried any of them in several years - so things may have changed.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,084 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:24 AM

GetDataBack is a good product I have that at my work. The true is that you have to try with different programs because the result is different depending of the HDD problem and the software used...

Just a coincide I received an e-mail about a windows recovery software offer just for today http://www.windowsdeal.com/w/icare-data-recovery-pro-discount-coupon-code/

Get the software iCare Data Recovery Pro ASAP, its a commercial product, maybe you get lucky recovering your files using it.

___
Rui

#9 seraphin

seraphin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:09 PM

Hi,

- How did you connected the Toshiba HDD to the Dell machine?

- Did Parted Magic recognized the Toshiba HDD?

- You used TestDisk and PhotoRec from Windows or Linux?

Hi,

To answer your questions

1. I use hard drive adaptor/converter cable ( USB to SATA Hard Driver cable) too connect to Dell's USB port

2. Parted Magic did NOT recognize Toshiba HDD. When plugged in, Windows 10 asked to format the Toshiba HDD.

3. I used TestDisk and PhotoRec from Linux

Is Parted Magic capable of rescuing data from a RAW hard drive? I was surprised to find out that Parted Magic did not recognize Toshiba HDD

Any other suggestions (will also check out the software mentioned above)

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,084 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:12 AM

Hi,

To answer your questions

1. I use hard drive adaptor/converter cable ( USB to SATA Hard Driver cable) too connect to Dell's USB port

2. Parted Magic did NOT recognize Toshiba HDD. When plugged in, Windows 10 asked to format the Toshiba HDD.

3. I used TestDisk and PhotoRec from Linux

Is Parted Magic capable of rescuing data from a RAW hard drive? I was surprised to find out that Parted Magic did not recognize Toshiba HDD

Any other suggestions (will also check out the software mentioned above)

There are better chances of recovering and is a faster process if you can connect the HDD internally to the machine. A normal Sata 2.5 HDD for a laptop can be connected internally to a Desktop, because the connections are the same.

Based on your description PartedMagic didn't recognize the drive, make sure you try on different USB port, it could fail to detect the HDD if connected to an USB3 port for example! unless you have a recent (paid) version of PartedMagic.

About the RAW, depending on the actual problem sometimes Windows can see the partition as RAW but PartedMagic/Linux can mount and read the files inside the partition.

Edited by SleepyDude, 25 August 2016 - 09:13 AM.

___
Rui

#11 seraphin

seraphin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:20 AM

Thanks a lot once again for the feedback.

1. regarding connecting HDD internally v externally to Dell Windows 10, other than file transfer speed, is there any material difference in terms of data recovery? If yes, can you please elaborate a bit more?

2. regarding Parted Magic, I used a 2015.11.13 version but still failed to detect my HDD under Linux.

3. I ran mini-tool data recovery (free) and it seemed to be able to see/rescue some files although the files were listed by the file "types" (e.g., document, movies ...etc) , not by file names. I didn't proceed further so didn't know which files it was able to see/rescue.

I have yet tried any other tools but have planned to. Other than the aforementioned tools, is there any hope to recover the 400 GB data in that crashed Toshiba HDD?

#12 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,084 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:42 AM

1. regarding connecting HDD internally v externally to Dell Windows 10, other than file transfer speed, is there any material difference in terms of data recovery? If yes, can you please elaborate a bit more?

I'm not an expert on this but I know that recovery applications like Getdataback and others need to access the HDD directly to control the HDD send reset signals etc. this type of access is limited when using USB.

Last time I did a recovery on a 500GB external HDD connected by USB the estimated time to do the initial scan for files was several days! after contacting the owner to get permission, I disassemble the external case and connected the HDD internally, the same scan took about 2-3 hours and about 2h more to recover almost all data.

The success of the recovery depends a lot on the HDD state, if the unit have only some bad sectors the recovery can be fast if the damage is big the process can take days and the success will be limited.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users