Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed winXP install

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 ayame67

ayame67

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:44 AM

Hi guys, so i have an old pc that i accidentally screwed up during windows xp installation (it had w7 on and worked fine but couldn't find compatible pci card drivers so decided to go back).

As far as i'm aware, i think i messed up the partition and that's why while formatting it crashed, since then my pc boots up to a black screen and a monitor that says "entering sleep mode".

I tried resetting BIOS by taking out the battery for a while but nothing changed, i'm assuming the motherboard's fine though because on bootup there's a nice 2 second post beep.

Sorry i can't provide much specs beside 2gb ram and gigabyte motherboard, roughly 5-7 years old. Please help!

When replying, please asume i'm computer illiterate. Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rm22

rm22

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:58 AM

I'd just try to install again. Also you can just delete all the partitions when installing & reformat the hard drive

Edited by hamluis, 17 August 2016 - 10:29 AM.

#3 ayame67

ayame67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:09 AM

how could i possibly install anything when nothing shows up on screen(even with the bootable cd in), keyboard doesn't work?

Edited by hamluis, 17 August 2016 - 10:29 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 12:29 PM

Even if you messed up the partition on the hard drive the computer should still boot from the CD. Do you get any OEM splash screen at boot? Remove the hard drive power cable if a desktop and see if the computer will boot with your XP CD disk. 

What is the make and model of the computer?

Also try a powercycle. Remove the powercord and battery if a laptop. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power cord but not the battery. Reboot.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 August 2016 - 12:30 PM.

#5 ayame67

ayame67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:07 AM

Even if you messed up the partition on the hard drive the computer should still boot from the CD. Do you get any OEM splash screen at boot? Remove the hard drive power cable if a desktop and see if the computer will boot with your XP CD disk. 

What is the make and model of the computer?

Also try a powercycle. Remove the powercord and battery if a laptop. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power cord but not the battery. Reboot.

no OEM splash screen at all, the only thing showing up on the monitor on boot up is ' no display input' (or something alond those lines) and then 'entering sleep mode' *nothing else* . tried powercycling: no change. Took out the rams and pci card and still no result.

Edited by ayame67, 18 August 2016 - 06:07 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:29 AM

Can you give a model number of the Gigabyte MB? It should be in on the motherboard.

Have you tried a different monitor?

Do you have a spare graphics card? Is the graphics integrated with the motherboard?

#7 ayame67

ayame67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:12 AM

Can you give a model number of the Gigabyte MB? It should be in on the motherboard.

Have you tried a different monitor?

Do you have a spare graphics card? Is the graphics integrated with the motherboard?

Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4

i hope this is what you were asking for, i haven't tried a different monitor because i don't have another but it seems to be working fine?

i don't have a spare graphics card  and as far as i'm aware it's not integrated

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:12 AM

Do you get any post beeps? I would remove your RAM sticks. Use one slot and try to boot. If it fails then keep changing slots until you have tried every slot. Then do the same with our other sticks of RAM, only using one stick at a time and try every slot before booting. 

It's possible the monitor is not functioning but if you do not hear a post beep then it's most likely your MB or perhaps the PSU.

For reference here is your motherboard manual.

http://download1.gigabyte.us/Files/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-m57sli-s4_e.pdf

#9 ayame67

ayame67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 12:15 PM

i do get on

Do you get any post beeps? I would remove your RAM sticks. Use one slot and try to boot. If it fails then keep changing slots until you have tried every slot. Then do the same with our other sticks of RAM, only using one stick at a time and try every slot before booting. 

It's possible the monitor is not functioning but if you do not hear a post beep then it's most likely your MB or perhaps the PSU.

For reference here is your motherboard manual.

http://download1.gigabyte.us/Files/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-m57sli-s4_e.pdfi

i do get one POST beep (or at least i think that's it) and according to the manual, that means the MB works fine. I did try taking out the RAMs and tried booting with only one inserted and then the other (i have a total of 2gb ram so i'm assuming each is 1gb?) but it hasn't helped so far. I'll try out each slot for each ram like you said and see if i get any luck. Is there any chance something's wrong with the power supply? and if so how can i check andk now for sure?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 01:24 PM

From your post it seems the problem is either the graphics card or a monitor problem but a 2 second post beep described in your first post does not seem normal. A normal post beep is less than a second. According to the MB manual there is no single long beep listed for a beep code.

Can you reset your monitor using it's own on screen menu?

#11 ayame67

ayame67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:25 AM

From your post it seems the problem is either the graphics card or a monitor problem but a 2 second post beep described in your first post does not seem normal. A normal post beep is less than a second. According to the MB manual there is no single long beep listed for a beep code.

Can you reset your monitor using it's own on screen menu?

the post beep might not be a whole 2 seconds, i donț know wether it's long or short but it doesn't seem any different from what it was before the crash, which is why i'm assuming it's fine. also, regarding the monitor, i checked it last night by using it as a second screen for my laptop and it worked fine and i made sure the input is VGA so no problem there.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:42 AM

i checked it last night by using it as a second screen for my laptop and it worked fine

Are you saying the computer now boots to a login screen or the monitor is known to be good and the screen is still blank,

From your post #5 you said you removed the pci card. Do you mean your graphics card? If by pci card you meant some other add-on card then try re-seating your graphics card.

If you do not have an extra to swap in  I think at this point you may need to take your computer to a good shop to determine if it's the graphics card or something else.

#13 ayame67

ayame67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:39 AM

i checked it last night by using it as a second screen for my laptop and it worked fine

Are you saying the computer now boots to a login screen or the monitor is known to be good and the screen is still blank,

From your post #5 you said you removed the pci card. Do you mean your graphics card? If by pci card you meant some other add-on card then try re-seating your graphics card.

If you do not have an extra to swap in  I think at this point you may need to take your computer to a good shop to determine if it's the graphics card or something else.

1. screen is still blank, it's just that the monitor works fine when plugged to another computer.

2. pci card is for an ethernet/phone line connection, not graphics. i haven't tried doing anything with the graphics card just yet.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:44 AM

If the good monitor did not have it's own cable then try switching cables otherwise pull the graphics card and re-seat it.

Pull the power and hold the power button down for 30 seconds then touch some bare metal of the case before pulling the graphics card.

#15 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:18 PM

Your statement:

i'm assuming the motherboard's fine though because on bootup there's a nice 2 second post beep.

This is not necessarily true; the beep only means that the BIOS is recognizing the keyboard. There can be other sections of the mainboard that have failed and will prevent boot.

Follow JohnC's directions first, then if no joy I suggest the following:

From the manual:

12)  PWR_LED
The PWR_LED connector is connected with the system power indicator to indicate whether the system is on/off. It will blink when the system enters suspend mode.

So according to the manual, there is a power LED lamp on the mainboard somewhere; when plugged in, is that small LED glowing or is it blinking or just dark?

Before I continue, I know that you can't get anything on the monitor. However, we want to test and try everything we can before throwing in the towel.

Try to clear the BIOS: I know you removed the batter previously, but please try this:

>UNPLUG the power cord from the computer;

>Press the power switch for 5 seconds with the computer unplugged; this will discharge reserve in the capacitors

>Remove the battery.

>You will see a "clear CMOS" jumper next to the BIOS chip; I can't see from the manual schematic how it is configured, but usually there is a small jumper that you pull out, move to one side and plug-in, wait 5 seconds, then move back to the first position again. Again, from your manual it's a bit different:

2.   Gently take out the battery and put it aside for about one minute. (Or you can use a  metal object to connect the positive and
negative pins in the battery holder to make them short for fiveseconds.)

But either way, just short the pins to clear the CMOS.

>Reinstall the battery. When you reinstall it, make very sure that you get the polarity correct. Usually the printed side goes up, but that is not a cardinal rule. If you reverse polarity the computer will do some really weird things, and possibly damage components. Are you sure you did not reverse polarity when you first reinstalled the battery?

>Plug the power cable back in, and try to boot. Don't forget to put the cover back on, the manual says that there is an intrusion switch, so it may prevent boot with the cover removed. Some of the older units had these and they are a pain. Depending on how the switch is exposed, sometimes a piece of tape over it will hold it in position so that you don't have to constantly remove and replace the cover when testing.

Please post results.

If no joy, Try accessing the BIOS from boot:

From the manual:

When the power is turned on, pressing the <Del> button during the BIOS POST (Power-On Self Test) will take you to the CMOS SETUP screen.  You can enter the BIOS setup screen by pressing "Ctrl + F1".

As soon as you press the power-on switch, start tapping the DELETE key about 2X a second until you see the BIOS screen appear.

>If you can access that screen, load the Fail-Safe default CMOS value from BIOS default table

>Press Y to save and exit.  If that doesn't work, usually pressing F10 will give you the option to save changes and exit. One of them should work.

I looked, but I could not find any Safe Mode access information; try tapping F8 on boot to see if you can get into Safe Mode. If no joy, next try rebooting while tapping all the F keys one at a time. I never had a computer that did not have a Safe Mode feature. Safe Mode loads only the very basic system drivers necessary to get the computer booted. If you can at least access that and suddenly the monitor works at least that will give us a chance.

Please post back with the results of each of the tests above.

Edited by ranchhand_, 22 August 2016 - 03:19 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users