Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I repurpose an old laptop monitor?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:10 AM

I have a couple of old laptops that are more expensive to repair than to replace.  I was wondering if there is a way I could disconnect the screens from them and repurpose them to use with my current laptops as external monitors.  Is there anyone who could explain how to do this?

The one  is a really old Dell, but the other is an HP Pavilion from about 2010.  It sure would be nice to use the latter with my HP Mini.

Note that I'm in Indonesia, in a town that doesn't have anything like Radio Shack, so it may be slightly challenging. ;)

Similarly, is it possible to repurpose a laptop's keyboard or other parts (aside from the HDD)?

Thanks!

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 14 August 2016 - 12:04 PM

The display doesn't have a input connection like a monitor.  A display also lacks the electronics needed to process the signal.  I don't see any simple way to use a display as an exterior monitor.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 719 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 01:37 PM

Ok, so is there a complicated way? :)

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 04:26 PM

Not really.  You'd be better off trying to get the laptops working better again.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,805 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:31 PM

Each mfgr has their own way of displaying elements.  Some have interface modules mounted with the display and backlight, others have a smaller board mounted above the main board or as part of the main board itself.  No real way to take advantage of the spares, however you local service center might have a need for them as spare parts for other units they are working on.

#6 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 719 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:58 PM

Not really.  You'd be better off trying to get the laptops working better again.

The Dell was destroyed by my wife, who put it on the carrier on the motorcycle without any protection, so I took it apart.  The HP Pavilion encountered some major damage that put the cost of repairing it at over $200, which is more than an unemployed guy with a wife going through chemo can afford.

Each mfgr has their own way of displaying elements.  Some have interface modules mounted with the display and backlight, others have a smaller board mounted above the main board or as part of the main board itself.  No real way to take advantage of the spares, however you local service center might have a need for them as spare parts for other units they are working on.

That makes sense.  Too bad....The display on this HP Mini is annoyingly small.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:26 AM

There probably is, but you would need a working knowledge of electronics and access to the needed components.  There are circuit boards out there which you could use to make this work.  But you could purchase a LCD monitor for the price it would cost for these components.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 719 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:00 AM

There probably is, but you would need a working knowledge of electronics and access to the needed components.  There are circuit boards out there which you could use to make this work.  But you could purchase a LCD monitor for the price it would cost for these components.

And there it is - the fact that useful electronics are useless to someone like me. :(  Thanks anyways!

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users