Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

tricky questions regarding switch and routers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zubair1734

zubair1734

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 14 August 2016 - 06:00 AM

Hi everybody,

I was preparing for a networking test at my college when i came across a very tricky question which involved some switches and routers. I have attached a screenshot of the problem. cannot understand how choice D has been selected as the answer.

I will be very grateful if someone can explain me the answer.

Regards

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DefaultGateway

DefaultGateway

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:10 AM

I am NOT 100% sure, but I think it's the following:

Traffic is sent from 10.10.1.7 to 10.20.1.6

Subnet Mask of both IP Addresses is NOT given, but because the question says that RIPv2 is Enabled, you can assume that both IP Addresses are NOT on the same network.

Because 10.10.1.7 and 10.20.1.6 are NOT on the same network, you need a Router to pass the traffic from the PC to the File Server.

So that's why the traffic goes from Switch1 to Router1.

The question says that RIPv2 is Enabled on ALL Layer 3 Devices. All Routers are Layer 3 devices.

So Router1 and Router2 has RIPv2 Enabled. Because of this, they can and will establish an adjacency with each other, assuming RIPv2 is configured correctly.

The traffic will then go from Router1 to Router2.

And then Router2 will forward the traffic to Switch2 and Switch2 will forward the traffic to the File Server.

#3 DefaultGateway

DefaultGateway

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:22 AM

The PC is on VLAN 10 and the File Server is on VLAN 20.

Because they are NOT on the same VLAN, they cannot communicate with each other directly.

So that's why choice A is wrong.

Choice B and C doesn't make any sense, so choice B and C is wrong.

That leaves choice D as the only right answer.

#4 DefaultGateway

DefaultGateway

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:30 AM

FYI, Switch1 and Switch2 are NOT Multilayer Switches.

If Switch1 and Switch2 were Multilayer Switches, then choice A could be the right answer.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:29 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

In general switches route traffic on a network, if the traffic is for a different network it has to go through a router to be routed to the correct network.  Answer D is correct because the the client and server are on two different networks so the traffic has to be routed in order for them to communicate.

#6 zubair1734

zubair1734
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:23 AM

Thanks guyz that was valuable info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users