Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

(See pic please) Pixels stuck

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 azisel

azisel

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 14 August 2016 - 04:13 AM

Why does the pixels get stuck in my screen? the only way for me to remove it is restart it. I have an external monitor connected via HDMI. I think that's the reason why I get these issue. Anyone knows why? or how to prevent this?

2iu2cly.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:27 PM

Looks like your resolution is off. Try going to System Preferences, Displays, click Display, select Scaled and then select the scaled resolution option that works best with your monitor.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 14 August 2016 - 06:54 PM

It has the appearance of a memory issue, either video RAM or possibly system RAM as they can be shared.

Not being a Mac user, I don't know if it's possible to tell from a screen what device you're running, but diagnosing a fault will only vary in detail between different devices.

Does it only ever appear if using the external screen? To eliminate the possibility of a monitor fault (the type of fault and being cleared by a restart makes this unlikely) is there any way to try a different monitor?

sflatechguy's suggestion of changing the display resolution can provide useful information. If the effect changes shape and appears at a different location on the screen, but is the same basic construction of faulty blocks, that would be a good indication of faulty memory addresses. If the device has readily accessible system RAM, and there is more than one DIMM, you could try swapping the positions of the DIMMs, and see if either moving them cleans a contact, or if the image fault goes away and a different problem occurs. In that case a DIMM would be faulty. If the device has dedicated video RAM, diagnosing may be harder, depending on construction of the device.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 azisel

azisel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:38 PM

It only happens when using an external monitor BUT that pixels rarely comes up. If I remember it right, the last time it happened I was watching a video on YouTube and I exit from fullscreen and that's when I saw the pixels got stuck. Hopefully its not a RAM problem.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:49 AM

Things that only happen rarely are more difficult to diagnose. If this is the Macbook Pro you mention in other topics, if the RAM is in 2 x 2GB DIMMs you could try the position swap, or if it's a single 4GB, see if the problem stops happening when you get around to upgrading. The HD4000 video uses system RAM.

Another possibility is if it only happens when you return from a full screen video it could be a problem with the overlay generator, in which case I'd suggest noting if it happens when the unit could be hot - e.g. room was hot, or watching with the laptop on a duvet or soft furnishing.

Edited by Platypus, 15 August 2016 - 01:50 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:08 AM

I suspect a screen resolution issue because the icons in the toolbar across the top of the screen resemble something from an 8-bit video game, rather than the Mac OS. Based on the wallpaper, it appears you are running Mavericks -- but the screen looks like it's zoomed in on a portion of the wallpaper.

Check the monitor's recommended resolution and try adjusting it on the Mac.

#7 azisel

azisel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:29 PM

This is my MBP info.

8x0aix.png

So far the pixels issue didn't came back after I set the resolution in my MBP and external monitor (Scepter 20")

I will provide update if issue will occur again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users