Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does Macrium Reflect free run slower than a retail version

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 RAPHelp

RAPHelp

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:42 PM

I.E. is it reasonable for an image backup to take over 11 and a half hours?

I have a Dell Inspiron 3847 (Intel Core i3-4130 3.40GHz) running Win 10 (64 bit) with a partition size of 157 GB and ran a backup  just before installing the Anniversary update. That amount of time required is excessive.

Thought maybe the program was corrupted so installed Reflect again ... but when started another backup it initially said 51 hours to complete (expect that the time would have gone up and down but probably would have been ridiculous anyway).

Why would I buy a retail version and spend money on the results might be excessive again?

Edited by RAPHelp, 13 August 2016 - 09:24 PM.
moved from All Other Applications to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 09:51 PM

Exactly what were your parameters of your backup?  Did you do the backup from within the current live Windows session? Did you use sector-by-sector full imaging?  Or just use intelligent copy?  Was verify on or off? What external media was the full image placed upon?  I've been using Macrium Reflect free and moved onto pay-for, and I'm puzzled as to why the backup took so long; exactly how long did that backup finally take?

Edited by RolandJS, 14 August 2016 - 09:59 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 RAPHelp

RAPHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 12:38 AM

Thank you for responding

Exactly what were your parameters of your backup?  Did you do the backup from within the current live Windows session? Did you use sector-by-sector full imaging?  Or just use intelligent copy?  Was verify on or off? What external media was the full image placed upon?  I've been using Macrium Reflect free and moved onto pay-for, and I'm puzzled as to  the backup took so long; exactly how long did that backup finally take?

Parameters: defaults

From within live Windows session but wasn't executing anything else (usually run Dragon NaturallySpeaking/KnowBrainer but

had stopped them while backing up)

sect-by-sect/intel copy  ??

verify off

Image placed on external USB3 (not super-speed) - 1TB raw/300+ GB free 

Took 11:24 (hr/min)

created several .PNG screenshots (including Log)but not sure how to get them to you - thought BP forums had an Upload feature

Edited by RAPHelp, 14 August 2016 - 12:39 AM.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:01 AM

"...1TB raw/300+ GB free..."  I sure hope Hamlius or dc3 or others enter in, I do not know what a 1TB raw/300+ GB HD is.  I'm assuming it was formatted as NTFS before using, correct?

Edited by RolandJS, 14 August 2016 - 06:36 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 11:41 AM

No way 11 hours for 157GB is normal. I can do about 40GB in about 40 minutes or less on USB 2.0 using Macrium Free. 

You should be using intelligent copy and not sector by sector. 

I would run a disk test on your internal and external drives using Seatools for Windows. Do the long and short test.

#6 RAPHelp

RAPHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 03:07 PM

what a 1TB raw/300+ GB HD is: a West Dig  1 TB Passport ... 326 GB free (before 11 hr backup) ... 122 GB now

formatted: NTSF

Hamlius or dc3 ????????????

using intelligent copy

SeaTools installed  and (Basic/Short Generic) test run against External, USB3 drive (also run 'against' C: drive) -  no errors (more tests to be run later)

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 03:54 PM

hamluis and dc3 are BC members.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 06:38 PM

JohnC, I agree, 11 hours is way too long!  I'm not believing there is any fault with either the end-user or Macrium Reflect, I think something else is causing this extra long backup.

#9 RAPHelp

RAPHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:39 PM

BC ... Boston College ? nvrmnd  BC = Bleeping Comp

Edited by RAPHelp, 14 August 2016 - 07:45 PM.

#10 RAPHelp

RAPHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:33 PM

Good news: did an image backup of my current Windows 10 Anniversary Edition OS to an internal HD (that is just extra storage space) in 34 minutes (image size = 176 GB).

Obvious bad news: either my external HD is bad (but the Seatools didn't find a problem) or Reflect doesn't like the connection to my HD (it's an USB3 connected to an USB3 hub which is plugged into the USB3 connection on the back of my CPU).

A few weeks ago (just before I updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10) I had created a backup using the same HD and connection. My next backup attempt is to plug the HD directly into the CPU USB3 connection.

Does anyone know if the image on my internal HD can be transferred (copied) to an external HD?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:15 PM

Yes, you can transfer that file to another drive. As you know double clicking the image lets you mount it to a virtual drive so you can explore that image. You could also verify the image after copying it to the external.

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Verifying+image+and+backup+files

#12 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:14 AM

My next backup attempt is to plug the HD directly into the CPU USB3 connection.

This would be been my suggestion after you mentioned a USB hub as the hub would be my first suspect. What other things are plugged into the hub?

#13 RAPHelp

RAPHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 05:33 PM

I initiated a backup to my external USB3  – which I directly plugged into the USB3 connector on the back of CPU. Reflect started and had an estimated completion time of 35 minutes (I canceled the backup – it was certainly less than the 11 hour completion time with a hub connected and I assumed the time would not increase appreciably).

By the way, the only other device plugged into the hub was a gift card reader (i.e. a mag-stripe reader) that was not being used.

Bottom line: be careful when doing a backup to a device plugged into a hub (though it has worked in the past, so I'm not sure why there's a problem now).

This thread should be marked as SOLVED.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users