Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update won't download updates? Error: 0x80070057

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JVM1120

JVM1120

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:06 PM

I've been noticing on my computer when windows tries to update it never actually does download anything. I ran the Windows Update Diagnostic tool and got an error. I'm Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I did recently clean a few infected files from my computer so I'm not sure if that had something to do with it.

I got this error: Windows Update Error: 0x80070057

I tried to look up fixes and tried to do this :

Click Start and type regedit and press the Enter button.
Navigate to HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
Delete all values with this 0x80070057. Then run the the following fix it tool.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058/en-us
Reboot the computer and verify that the problem has been resolved.

That folder doesn't exist on my computer .

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 14 August 2016 - 04:01 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:18 PM

Just to clarify -- are you saying the registry key doesn't exist, or the C:\ProgramData\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader files doesn't exist? The ProgramData folder is normally a hidden file -- you will need to open the C: drive in Windows Explorer, click the Alt button. Under the Tools tab in the upper left, select Folder Options, click the View tab, and select Show hidden files, folders and drives.

If either the registry key or the folder are missing, then that is a serious issue.

In any event, if your system was infected, you'll want to make sure any viruses/malware are thoroughly removed. You should probably ask the moderator to move this to the Am I infected? forum.

#3 JVM1120

JVM1120
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:45 PM

I opened regedit and navigated to
HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

That folder didn't exist. I found a fix on another forum that worked for me. I turned automatic updates off and downloaded and installed update KB3020369 & KB3172605 from the windows update catalog. I restarted the computer and the updates started showing up again and installed with no problems. The computer is still loading slow so I took your advice and messaged a moderator to have this moved . I'd rather be sure there are no other issues.

Edited by JVM1120, 15 August 2016 - 08:28 AM.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:09 AM

It's possible, since that registry key didn't exist, that other parts of your operating system are damaged or corrupt.

I would recommend asking the moderator to move this to the Am I infected? forum just to be on the safe side.

#5 JVM1120

JVM1120
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:29 AM

It's possible, since that registry key didn't exist, that other parts of your operating system are damaged or corrupt.

I would recommend asking the moderator to move this to the Am I infected? forum just to be on the safe side.

Thank You. I had it moved there by the moderator just to be safe.

Edited by JVM1120, 15 August 2016 - 08:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users