Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

question on access point routers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 careingemt

careingemt

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:24 PM

Hello,

To make a router an Access Point (daisy chain) i go from back of Comcast router (ISP) cat5 to Netgear LAN port
which makes the Netgear an access point (of course the Netgear needs to be configured)  

Question:

if i go from Comcast cat5 to Netgear WAN we will call this Netgear 1... 
from Netgear 1 LAN to a second Netgear LAN  will this second Netgear be a 
access point router just like above

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:26 PM

If your Comcast router handles DHCP you can use a Netgear router connected to the LAN port as an access point, provided you turn off DHCP on the Netgear.

If the Comcast device is a router you will probably want it in bridge mode, where it will let the first Netgear handle DHCP and routing.

Here is a page that will teach you about connecting multiple routers together.

The real question is what do you want to accomplish?

Edited by Kilroy, 13 August 2016 - 08:27 PM.

#3 careingemt

careingemt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 09:37 PM

A better wifi signal...

When I'm connected to Comcast wifi with my phone my wifi connection will drop off for about a minute 8 to 10 times daily. I've been on my Netgear router via from back comcast router cat5 to wan port on Netgear.. has been great ALL DAY Never lost wifi....
Originally I had .. out of Comcast cat5 to LAN port on Netgear (daisy-chain I made my netgear an access point router) Even doing this I would still loose wifi 8 to 10 times daily ....
Being the fact I have not lost wifi from Netgear ... Could I do this : out of Comcast cat5 to Wan .. LAN to 2nd Netgear (2nd Netgear will be AP...)
In other words don't use comcast wifi use Netgear wifi for my phone comcast wifi for laptop

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:50 AM

Yes you can do whatever configuration works for you.  Sounds like all you want to do is configure a router as a Wireless access point.

Edited by Kilroy, 14 August 2016 - 10:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users